“Better than I expected”

Ranked #1,034 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Cheshire
“Better than I expected”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I booked this as a "secret" hotel through Expedia and after reading the reviews was expecting a real lemon. We dropped our bags at lunchtime before the room was ready (room 2 on the top floor) We returned to the hotel at 11 pm and were pleasantly surprised, The room was fine, not huge but OK,the bed was comfortable the shower worked, there was plenty of hot water and the room was clean. Some of the decor was a bit shabby, the stairways could do with a lick of paint and but I've seen worse.

Not as bad as expected

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I think the hotel inspector was feeling very over generous the day they visited this hotel. It doesnt even have a lift.

We were in the attic which was up a lot of twisting narrow stairs. The room was hot and the windows were covered by black out curtains that could not be opened. We had to leave the windows open to let some air in, which meant the traffic noise was excessive right through the night. The room was reasoblay clean, but extremely small. The shower leaked from the hose and the bath tap and the water kept going cold.

Reception was on the first floor landing, which was a bit strange.

The greeting on arrival was underwhelming to say the least. We were not asked on checking out how our stay was. I suspect because the receptionist knows this hotel is not good.

Do yourself a favour, book a premier inn well in advance. It will be cheaper, better maintained and cleaner than the not so opulent opulence hotel.

Its only redeeming feature is the proximity to Oxford Street, which is a short walk away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarlisleSaint

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Nairn
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Review for Opulence Hotel in Central London

It has no opulence whatsoever. This London guest house is shabby, dirty and cramped. It beggars belief that this guest house is rated as a four star hotel? If you doubt what we say look at our pictures. In the past year we were delighted with two other secret hotel deals we did through Expedia but this time it was dreadful.
There are no lifts so be prepared to climb up four steep and narrow floors.
Our room was so small that we had to stand in the tiny, grubby bathroom to get by each other. The room was dirty and musty smelling. Under the bed had clearly not been swept out for a very, very, very long time because in addition to heaps of dirt and dust were a dirty sock, used tissues and a potato crisps package all left by previous guests.
The wine- coloured bedspread was smelly and grubby but the worn and holed white duvet cover was clean. There were no mattress or pillows protectors. Some of the towels were new while others were ragged and stained.
How can Expedia sell this as a four star hotel experience when it has no more amenities other than very basic bed and breakfast? This place has had many, many grim reviews already on a well-known travel review site and Expedia must be aware of this yet they are still sending guests there.

PS I sent Expedia this review five times and each time they would ask for some small change to be made. This was just their way to put you off posting a review that they don't like.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane M
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went to London on business. It was fashion week all my "usual" hotels were booked up. I got in at the. Above on what was said to be a late booking deal. The entrance looked ok but as I went inside it got progressively worse. Being charitable I would say the room needed some considerable TLC. The bin in the bathroom was full from the last occupant, the cover on the bed was dirty and the curtains were torn and dirty. When I left I decided against risking breakfast and went to reception to hand in my key ( I had pre paid). I rang the bell but no one came . I didnt think there was a breakfast room in any event. I know you get what you pay for but for £140 room only I expected much more than that. If the other hotels in this group are like this , they are better avoided.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 25Steve
Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you are looking for 'opulence' please don't visit this hotel, you will be very disappointed! It is a very run down shabby establishment and definitely not worthy of its 4 star Expedia rating. We had a twin room in the attic which, despite a fan, was hotter than a sauna!. Such a shame as it is a beautiful old building in need of some urgent TLC!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elaine T
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Where to start.....
Peeling wallpaper. Grotty bathroom. Tiny room. No nets on the windows. No air con. Dubious fire safety. Mismatched furniture.

Then there are sweet little touches like the fact that the kettle doesn't fit under the tap so you have to fill it with a cup.

It's just sooo not 4 stars as claimed by Expedia.

Looking at the fire evac plan I can see that the person in room 6 got lucky. I was in room 8 on the third floor and it was tiny - the other 2 rooms on this floor are even smaller!

I guess it probably could be worse but the filling that you have been ripped off just haunts you everywhere you look.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sekret_skwirrel
County Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My best friend and I arrived to celebrate a benchmark Birthday and were impressed by the location (just off Oxford Street, nearest Tube Station Marble Arch) and the lobby looked nice. When we checked in, we were told where our basement room was, which had seen better days but was clean. I asked if they had any other twin bedded rooms that could accommodate us with a nicer view, but "no sorry" was the reply, so we just got on with it, thinking well, we arent going to spend long in the room anyway really. There were small Molton Brown toiletries, which were a nice touch but a shower hook would have been nice instead of having to stand / sit holding the shower head (which was one of those old fashioned ones which rest of the bath taps in a cradle). The shower on saying that was powerful with an abundance of hot water and the bath filled up very quickly, so not all bad, though the bathroom was a bit on the teeny / pokey side. I would suggest the management take the tattered bathrobe away from behind the door, not an incentive to wear it.
We laughed at the air conditioning, an oscillating standing fan, but hey it was better than nothing. The member of staff was very helpful generally and looked after our cases after checkout on the last day and though it maybe didn't live up to its name, it was a clean bed for a couple of nights, with it has to be said the best memory foam pillows I have ever slept on.
So would I stay here again, probably not but it did the trick cheaply for what we wanted.

Room Tip: We were actually on the side of the main road and had he window open all night and were not bothered...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends