“Better than what I hoped”

Opulence Central London
Ranked #1,014 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Better than what I hoped”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Usually, I have a bad habit of forgetting reading Tripadvisor before executing a purchase. Usually shows the right idea Tripadvisor of the hotel you buy. I write this review to confirm once again that every rule has an exception.
I bought this hotel excited about its location and price. Then, I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and I was quite depressed. I arrived at Opulence Hotel with very bad expectations.
Fortunately, sometimes things don’t happen the way you can imagine. The hotel greeted us with very good treatment of their employees and the room, although being small, was warm and friendly, and very clean, with quality furniture. The TV worked on, at least, 25 different channels, not even one Arab! The refrigerator was clean and in good conditions and the sheets and towels also.
The hotel has small rooms and four floors by stairs, but everything else is fine. The service is warm and friendly and best of all is its location. Is in full West End, close to almost everything and the most useful transports.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EstebanMartucci

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
London
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The pictures online are not of the same building or rooms, there was hair on the bed spread, the curtains and walls were stained, there were no pillow cases, the attendant was awkward and rarely at the desk, there was a christmas tree blocking the entrance for our entire stay (we literally had to shove through it causing the ornaments to fall off and break and pine needles got stuck in our clothes), and they wanted an extra £10 per night for internet. And this all cost more than an a different hotel we stayed at in London the weekend before which was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 Thank Grace E

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a disappointment. The only thing 4 star about this hotel is the location. Being well aware that the London hotel standard in general is quite poor, we never opt for anything less than 4 star hotels. As an alternative to the international hotels, we thought this would be a very british an cosy place to stay for new years. Unfortunately this hotel is highly overrated, and the standard is no more than 2+. Our room looked nothing like the pictures presented on their webpage and to our horror we got a basement room. As we required twin beds (not travelling with my boyfriend), there was no other option in the house. The room was very worn, we did not have any kind of safety bars outside the window, and the floors were stained from what we presume is waterdamage. As there is a staircase from the outside street right down to our window, we did not dare keep the window open more than an inch, making the room very hot during the night.

Cleaning was poor, we had to ask for clean glasses and extra towels all the time. The towels had probably been around since the building was built in the 1800 century. They were all disgustingly grey and filthy............

When we arrived at the hotel, there was a huge christmas tree in the entrance, leaving no room for guest to pass with their suitcases without getting "half" the christmas tree in your clothing.

Still you can not let the "faulty towers" ruin you London weekend, and we did appriciate the great location an charming neighbourhood.

But if you can, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Bermudabee
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed here 12 months ago but am sad to read that nothing has changed in that time.
I booked this hotel as it was rated as a 4 star....OMG it was hell.
Firstly my room wasn't ready at check in time of 2pm, There wasn't anywhere to leave my luggage, I was told to leave my case near the front door while reception was on the first floor.
When I finally got into my room, it was very old & smelly with badly stained carpets. There weren't any teabags or milk & when I asked, I got 2 scrunched unwrapped teabags. The air conditioner outlet was not connected to the outside & the bathroom was totally disgusting.
The door didn't lock, so I had to push the fridge in front of the door.
I had booked & paid for 2 nights but only stayed one because it was so awful.
Of all the places I stayed in my 6 weeks in uk, this was the worst by far
Avoid it like the plague

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank ozmum4
Cambridge
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This hotel was pretty from the outside, but a disaster inside. The sheets were filthy, room was very small, safe did not work, TV did not work and was not connected, it had a kettle but no coffee, tea or anything to use with the hot water. Overall, very run down inside the bedroom and very disappointing. The name of the hotel is a joke and I would dstrongly advice travellers to avoid it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Bill M
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very disappointing, filthy rooms (curtains & windows and floor under/next to bed dirty, tiny sheets so one was lying partly directly on the mattress, no BBC channels (mostly Arabic tv), bathroom in poor condition. Everything shabby and far too expensive for what it offers. The only good point is the location (proximity to Marylebone High Street).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Russian-swan
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

To back up previous reviewers this hotel is extremely poor.

I checked in to find hardly any TV channels were accessible, apart from Sky News and a choice of 3 additional Arabic channels. Upon phoning to enquire with Reception i was told that an engineer was working on it...chasing up an hour later i was told it won't be repaired until the following day....then logging on here to see similar comments it is all obviously a complete load of rubbish and BBC TV channels etc haven't been accessible for months!. Leaves a sour taste that no honest explanation could be offered.
In additional at least the room had a kettle....however no teabags or coffee!..

All very shabby..why or why are budget London hotels so poor??...£99 isn't budget for the rest of the country but perhaps £9.99 is nearer the mark in terms of value for money.

Room Tip: Ask to inspect before committing to reception payment