“Great friendly atmosphere”

Ranked #260 of 554 London B&B and Inns
united kingdom
“Great friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed April 17, 2009

my family and i had a super few days in this charming Edwardian villa.Full of charm and art everywhere.The ambience is superb with helpful hosts.Fabulous gardens and spacious rooms.It was really nice to have a family breakfast in the huge kitchen and chat to other interesting guests in a relaxed enviroment.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank defy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
france
Reviewed May 11, 2008

we stayed in this B&B for 4 nights as we had a family event in the area. My sister in law had booked for us through a hotel website as it was very near her house, despite seeing a less than enthusiastic review (some fellow travellers are difficult and a bad review can be misleading). We can only confirm the facts given in the previous review. The welcome was rather casual but allright. The room was clean but the house was very untidy and borderline, with piles of dirty laundry (with thongs on top!) on the floor and a DIY breakfast (no coffe or at least we did not understand how to get it). Then, on the third day, we were asked to pay for the whole stay. My sister in law had had the impression of paying for the entire stay as the web site confirmation gave only a total price and did not give the sum charged on her credit card. We therefore called her (after the owner had been very unpleasant with us) and asked her to talk to the owner. As she was just stating the facts and was very polite, the only answer of the owner was "are you saying I am lying? I do not like to deal with all this unpleasantness" and just hung the phone. In the meantime, my sister in law, checking her confirmation email, saw at the bottom of it the mention that 30% was charged at time of booking. That confirmed what the owner said but all this matter could have been dealt with in a much friendlier way. We were totally honest, it was an honest mistake and there was no need on being so unpleasant with any of us.

Stayed May 2008
7 Thank eurocitizen333

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Boston
Reviewed August 14, 2007

We had a very bad experience at 20 Denbigh Road, Ealing and I highly recommend against staying there. Their Chiswick property on the other hand is very pleasant. Unfortunately, the owner lives at the Ealing place and clearly doesn't want other people in her house. The experience was very uncomfortable for us. First, we were assured, in writing, of a private bathroom, but others guests also used our bathroom (at both Ealing and Chiswick). Second, the owner refused to respond to our requests for help (such as with internet) or did so only grudgingly. The place was a total mess (aside from our sleeping room which was quite clean). A group of other guests came and left on first sighting even though it was 9pm. The owners asked us to switch houses and we could only do it at 10pm because we had a full day planned (even though they could have arranged to get us a key days before). We arranged to meet them at that time. When we arrived at 10 we got yelled at for disturbing her dinner. Once we moved to the Chiswick house however, things were very nice since we had no more contact with the owners (both living at Denbigh) and the Chiswick house was very clean and nice. Also, be prepared to pay in cash when you check in. We didn't read our email close enough (our fault) and got accused of trying to steal from them when we didn't have the money the first time they asked in person.

Stayed April 2007
10 Thank purpleBoston
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Reviewed July 13, 2007

While planning 4 week Euro Vacation, my first destination was London. My research on the web tracked down an amazing website: [--] -- the site is run by a woman who has a slew of B&B's under her company umbrella. I chose the BELGRAVIA (ref.235) for 3 nights (single accommodation) and paid a bargain price of 208.50 british pounds! Not only was this a bargain for 3 days in one of the world's most cosmopolitan cities, but it was located in one of the swankiest areas of London!!

A five minute walk from the nearest Tube Station (Knightsbridge), my B&B was easily accessed (even while wheeling heavy luggage!). I was greeted by my hostess Poppy Mitchell... a highly entertaining, fabulously humoured woman who is not only on the cutting edge of fun and flare (running her art design business from home), but she offered spectacular advice on my first walking tour of London... which was an easy task since her home is located to everything! Harrods & Harvey Nichols in one direction and Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park and Trafalgar Square in the other.

My room was immaculately clean - with comfy double bed, a spotless bathroom with walk-in shower and a sitting area with sofa chairs. Outside of my room was the kitchen, where I could help myself to coffee/tea -- and where Poppy prepared (and left) me breakfast each morning. She rose early and set everything out by 7am so that I could enjoy my breakfast in private. (Although I'd gladly have welcomed her company since she was so interesting to talk to). Breakfast covered all the essentials to start a hearty day of sightseeing. Fresh grained bread with jams, yogurt, whole grain cereals and my choice of coffee or an array of teas.

Since I was so centrally located, I walked to most places, but was also able to take the tube home at night. There is a pub and tiny convenience store right outside Poppy's house, which was great for late night snacks or a quick pint! :)

I cannot say enough about my 3 day stay in this lovely accommodation. What a wonderful way to start off my vacation! I had the time of my life (covered a ton of ground) and never once felt like I was a "roomer" in someone's B&B... but rather, was treated like a "special friend" who was welcomed in a lovely woman's home! I cannot say enough about this experience and would highly recommend this home and Poppy's hospitality to anyone (especially single women travelling alone!)

• Liked — The location and the hospitality of the B&B hostess
  • Disliked — I had zero complaints.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank CanuckGirl2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Travelodge London Ealing
Premier Inn London Kew Hotel
The Summerfield
The Summerfield
#172 of 554 in London

Been to At Home London B&B? Share your experiences!