“Middle-of-Road Experience”
Review of At Home London B&B

At Home London B&B
Ranked #262 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2012

If what you are looking for is just a place to lay your head at night in a good neighbourhood for a good price, then this B&B will fit the bill. The room and linens were clean and functional and the ensuite small. The self-serve breakfast was decent, if somewhat plain (basic milk, cereal, bread, yogurt, eggs). To be fair, this is all plainly stated on the B&B website, so there were no surprises. Rosa herself was pleasant and helpful, providing local travel information. The walk to the Tube was fine, 10 minutes. As a frequent B&B user, I guess I'm just used to a few more of the personal touches I usually receive. All in all, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda K

Reviewed May 17, 2012

All things considered, this is not a B&B I would recommend, or one that I would stay at again. But, bearing in mind London can be very expensive and budget accommodation may be difficult to find, keep these points in mind if you select this B&B.

The house gives you the impression of being rather cluttered. You enter into a hallway that is filled with odds and ends, and then into a dining room/ kitchen, that is clean, but again, very cluttered. There are a thousand knick-knacks about the place, and the shelves are filled with things I don't think would have been used in ages. These are the common areas and the rest of the ground floor is private.
The room we had was for three people (en-suite) on the first floor. There are also shared facilities available. The beds were comfy and the room and bathroom very clean, but very tiny. We barely had place to move about with the three beds in the room and the basin area in the bathroom was just big enough for a person to stand. The pictures on the website show a garden with outside seating. We did not have any access to this, possibly as the weather was rainy. However, on the clear days too, outside seating was not mentioned as an option. The blinds in our room were broken, and were not repaired for the entire 5 nights we stayed there. However, the host did try to resolve other difficulties we had - she added an extra heater to our room when we said we were cold. The rooms are cleaned once every 2 or 3 days. We were there 5 nights, and the room was cleaned on our third day. Basics such as tea and coffee are provided in the room, but no soaps or shampoo.

Don't expect much in terms of hospitality in this B&B. First impressions aren't great. We knew this from previous reviews, but it's different when you experience it in person. We had arrived after a 14 hour flight. The owner asked our family (who'd driven us from the airport to the B&B) to wait out in the rain, then sat us down and asked us to pay for the 5 nights stay. We knew this was the procedure, but since we had already paid a deposit, amounting to more than one night, we felt this urgency rather unnecessary. Either way, any welcome would have been appreciated.

We found commuting to the city to be rather long. We took an hour or so from point to point, give or take 10 minutes depending on how many tubes you needed to change. The tube is about a 15 minute walk from the B&B, but there's also a bus down the road that we found quite convenient. The bus stops aren't covered though, so it can mean a wait in the cold and rain.

The breakfasts were the one redeeming thing about this place. It was self-service and offered till 12 noon. There was a decent spread - eggs, bread, yoghurt, juice, cereals, fruit, cold cuts. We found this really convenient as we could choose any schedule we liked.

This is simply a place to sleep and eat, with none of the charm generally associated with a B&B. A budget hotel, if available at the same rates, would be a better option.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank rads_6
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at ref No 47 in Chiswick. The manager was super quick and nice arranging my stay, she suggested this property after I've sent her my details. We (My BF & I) had an all white bedroom with everything we needed and a shared bathroom. Also breakfast was included, the host made wholegrain bread every morning and we had plenty of milk, orange juice, coffee, tea to our likings. We had an amazing garden view window and birds singing waked us up in the mornings. It wasn't at all hard to travel to the central part of London by tube (3 min away) and come back home by bus in the evenings. Also Chiswick itself has pretty surroundings! If you compare the price of stay to a hotel one - it's great for the value! Highly recommend. Will definitely try the other properties next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2012

The house is located on a quiet street about a 7-minute walk from Ealing Broadway. Finding quiet side streets in London isn't the easiest thing to do, so the location, price, and convenience was unbeatable (not hyperbole; I looked). And I loved the self-serve option for breakfast. Rosa shows you the kitchen and provides everything you'll need, whether you want to cook something or just have cereal and some fruit. The food was great, the host was lovely, the rooms were quiet and comfortable, and the dog was friendly. That's more or less all I expect from any B&B.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed a week with Kay and David at their comfortable flat in Westminster. Kay was a such a gracious hostess and we enjoyed good conversations with them both at breakfast and in the evenings when we returned from our sightseeing. Our room was spacious with plenty of room for luggage and closet and drawer space. The shared bathroom was not a problem; it was always spotlessly clean and available. Breakfast, served on a table converted from a centuries old door, was always delicious. Kay even prepared a 'breakfast bag' for us when we left early for a tour. The flat is within easy walking distance of many sites and the bus and tube are very close. The staff at At Home in London were very helpful when we booked and then requested additional days. The best part of the stay, however, was the friendliness of our hosts. It was simply lovely to be a guest in their home.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I planned to go alone to London and this place I'v chosen as well rated, 20mins by tube from centre and of course not too expensive. I have to say, I found what I'd expected.
Rosa (the owner) had warned me several time that my single room is very small. It is, but I came to see London and came home every day at 10pm and left morning at 8am. I didn't need anything else. The shared bathroom and toilette is not an issue, since it is not share with the whole house :-)
Help-yourself breakfast is very good. You can do whatever you want, find something to eat and enjoy the breakfast (without cleaning the dishes :-)
You might have a chance to find cheaper, better place closer to the centre, but I have to say, I was not successful and definitely do not regret choosing At Home B&B.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed at “At Home” for 2 weeks and had a great time in London. Staying here is really like being at home in a leafy London suburb. Rosa, the owner, is very welcoming and helpful (and we arrived late!). She gave us a lot of local information and gave us her mobile number in case we needed any help during our stay. Then Rosa showed us to our very nice room, gave us the keys to the front door left us to be at home. It was lovely to be able to sit out in the beautiful garden for breakfast and have a quiet leisurely time before we hit the busy streets of London. You can come and go as you please and have breakfast at any time up to 12 noon. Our room, and the public areas, were always clean and our sheets were changed every 3rd day. Good value and relaxing, we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family