“Great Hotel at an Amazing Price”

The Hoxton, Shoreditch
Ranked #93 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed at the Hoxton for 10 days for our honeymoon and it was a really great hotel, especially for the price. My new husband and I are in our early 20s and not exactly well off so this place was perfect, nice and hip with a price tag we could easily swallow. Room's were well designed to look fresh and not frumpy, cleaning always did a superb job. Free orange juice, banana and yogurt were great for our early days where we needed to run out the door, not to mention the 2 bottles of water daily and the bottle of milk for tea and coffee. Bar downstairs with plenty of comfy chairs and couches, and reasonably priced drinks. The free printing at the front desk was pretty great as well, especially since you just email them your document, don't have to log onto some horrible system and spend 15 minutes trying to print an email. Tons of bars and great food around, walking distance from Brick St. for some awesome Indian food (just prepare to be hassled to go into every restaurant you pass). Short walk to the Old St Station which made getting around a breeze.

The not so perfect things are pretty negligible , but I'll put them on here so people know what to expect and maybe the hotel can do some minor improving. The inside hallway windows face the rooms of other windows, which is fine, I'm not expecting an awesome view in a 7 story urban hotel, but the only curtain you get is a thick almost black out curtain, so if you plan to spend any time in the hotel during the day you have to decide between people being able to see in, our having to use lights instead of the sun. The mini fridge is also mini to say the least, the room is pretty small with no microwave so no one is going to be cooking any meals or anything but a slightly larger fridge would make keeping drinks/snacks in there easier. The last thing was that for some reason every time we had the "go away" (do not disturb) sign up we would get a message on our TV system about it, which was just annoying because we had to go to our messages before turning on the TV every time, and no matter how many times we deleted them some of them would always be in our inbox. None of those things were deter me from suggesting this hotel to a friend, but just some of the kinks of the place.

1  Thank Danielle1987

Reviewed July 21, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at the Hoxton Hotel. Previously I stayed for £29 through the sale, and this time I managed to get a room in the £1 sale - if you sign up to receive emails on their website, you will be able to get in on this too!

The location is great for me, as I live in the Midlands so can just hop on a train to St Pancras and then it's literally two stops on the Northern Line to Old Street. Taking Exit 3 and turning left brings you past some grotty nightclubs and to the hotel. Granted, the surrounding area isn't especially fantastic, but I've only ever walked to and from the tube so I've never had any trouble.
If you do get a taxi to the middle of London, say, Soho - you're looking to pay about £30. So if you are going on a night out, be prepared of this, or make yourself aware of the last tube service to Old Street if you wish to use the underground.

Check-in is always efficient and speedy. I did have a problem in that the girl who was on reservation when I checked in actually pre-authorised my card under someone else's room, but this was rectified upon check-out and she couldn't apologise enough.

The rooms are quite spacious, with modern design. There are nice touches like complimentary fresh milk and bottled water in the fridge, as I can't think of anyone that actually likes to use UHF milk cups when making their cup of tea in the morning! You also get a "proper" hairdryer that can be plugged wherever you wish to without having to keep your finger on the button to keep it on, a corkscrew, pencil and pad, coffee and teabags, fully functioning kettle, a flat-screen TV that pulls out from the wall so you can view it in bed, and a breakfast bag.
The breakfast is a Pret a Manger grab bag, and you mark what time you require your breakfast on the outside, leave it hanging on your door before bed, and when you wake up it is filled with a banana, orange juice and muesli yoghurt pot! Like magic! If you do wish to have a larger breakfast, the Grille restaurant offers a full English for about £9.

On this occasion we had a room facing the inside of the courtyard, which meant for a lovely silent night's sleep. Last time, I had a room facing the road which was a bit noisier - albeit not a hinderance.

The only thing that is not to my personal taste is the design on the bedroom walls. They are London landmarks, chiselled out of the plaster. Personally, I think this looks very tacky, but I can see that they are trying to fit this in with their urban approach. All very warehouse-y and exposed brick.

The bar downstairs can be either very welcoming or quite pretentious. That just depends on the clientele at the time, I suppose. I also find it can be very loud as the night goes on, almost as if the hotel forgets it is a hotel and not a nightclub! Quite a good selection of drinks though, and the staff are always very professional and friendly. A nice touch is the courtyard which is open in the warmer months, situated in the middle of the restaurant/bar area, if you fancy some al fresco drinking.

All in all, a very good, honest hotel. It does not try too hard to be something it is not, and is in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank LittleAppleRoo
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Just returned home, and looking forward to returning to the Hoxton already.
We were lucky enough to only pay a £1 for the first night , and £29 for the second.
Cant fault the hotel really. Surrounding areas are a little bit grim., but the tube is only 5 mins away which was great.
Sunday lunch in the grill was dissapointing, but my steak sandwich was fantastic.
Noisy on Saturday night, but we were so tired after a day of sightseeing, it didnt take long to fall asleep in the really comfy beds.
The free internet in the room was a great idea. (wireless keyboard in drawer). As we were able to book our sightseeing tickets online, saving a huge amount on turn up on the day prices.
Thanks for a great weekend!!

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Arrived at Old St.Tube Station [use exit 3} 5 min to Hotel. Staff were very helpful Room was clean and very well appointed.Nice outdoor lunch. Fantastic value.Great little quirky Pub & Italian Restaurant 100 yards away.Best Italian Food for ages

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Modern, interesting, well speced. Good little workspace in the room. Wifi is free. A bottle of water free in the fridge. Can't stand those hotels that charge extra for it. Bathroom very high quality - great tile work!
Liked the buzz in foyer. But we ate in the Grill in the evening - and that was a little disappointing - and way too noisy

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I've been staying at the Hoxton once a month since 2007. We are regulars and receive a personal warm welcome from Roberto! The staff change little suggesting the hotel is good to them and that makes it feel as though Hoxton is our second home in London. All rooms are the same so we never feel as though we have left the hotel each time we visit. Decor is getting tacky with dark wood and mucky walls but it was very uber cool when it opened. Little things matter and you get a four star feel with the bathroom, linen, free wifi, free calls, prey a manger breakfast, affordable meals which are tasty and very cheap drinks and chocs from the reception desk! The hotel lobby houses the popular Grill which is a negative for those staying as the noise is deafening and it's a place to be seen given the huge gatherings present. However the windows block the noise greatly and aircon in the rooms in summer makes the hotel a treat to stay in. My only gripe is that the hotel has yet to personally offer me a £1 room which I can never get in it's £1 sale. Prices are rising year on year and no longer can find £59 or £79 rooms and £99 plus upto £150 is standard! The decor will change but sadly the rooms will be individually designed whereas the Hoxton feel for those returning is home from home.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

The Hoxton is chic, trendy, and a great value for London. It is conveniently located....the tube is a short walk away. We loved the decor. The room and bathroom were clean and spotless.
The food in the restaurant was great. The bar area was busy and fun.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family