“Good hotel with some great little ideas” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hoxton, Shoreditch

The Hoxton, Shoreditch
Ranked #113 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Good hotel with some great little ideas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Room was great, really liked the coffee and the breakfast bag. We had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning, which was fairly pricey, I had 2 poached eggs on 1 piece of toast for £7, would have been better off paying more for the full breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Minishone
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Well we think it's good that you think we are good. Thank you for taking the time to spread the love.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I'm showing my age. Oh, how I wanted to stay in a nice traditional hotel in Mayfair or Knightsbridge! But no, my partner talked me into saving some (well, lots of) bucks/pounds by staying at this hip, trendy hotel in some remote neighborhood that's popular with the hipster crowd. Swell. My partner thinks he is an eternal 35 year-old but I am not young, hip or trendy. And I was NOT looking forward to staying at the Hoxton. That's putting it mildly; actually, I was truly pissed that we were not staying at Blake's.

My mood towards the yet unseen Hoxton Hotel worsen after the nine hour flight and the two hour drive (thanks to the tube strike) from Heathrow. Things looked up slightly when we finally arrived at the Hoxton. The lobby is actually quite nice; there's plenty of comfy sofas and armchairs, two fireplaces and elegantly contemporary chandeliers. OK..this place may be tolerable. Check-in went smoothly and the staff were efficient and friendly.

So off to the room...and this is where the Hoxton's decor veers off to the hard industrial look. The lobby was so cozy that I was kind of surprised when we got into the elevator, which looked like the type of lift used in morgues. It was a bit too clinical. And our floor! We're both science fiction geeks and thus had the same first impression: we had walked onto the Battlestar Galactica. It was sort of neat and creepy at the same time. When we walked into the room I turned to my partner and said "Can we now go to Blake's? " The room was so very small. And no drawers! We would be living out of suitcases for five days! Who would design a hotel room with no storage whatsoever? Then it dawned upon me: the Hoxton is just a crash pad for all the partying hipsters. But we had prepaid so there was no switching hotels and I would have to make the best of it. Weeks earlier I had emailed the hotel asking for a quiet room with lots of natural light. Thankfully the staff were able to honor my request. The room (513) was indeed very quiet (even at the height of the partying in the lobby) and had large windows with expansive views of the City. The room decor overall was exactly one would expect for a hotel catering to the twentysomethings, though the harsh gray wall color did give the room a vaguely prison-cell feel. We never could get the television to work and the internet radio kept cutting out but we weren't in London to watch TV so it didn't matter. The shower had great water pressure and there was always a constant supply of hot water; that's something many 5* hotels can't claim. I must give praise to the very efficient housekeeping, especially to the woman who did an awesome job tidying-up our room on May 3rd and 4th. Overall, while the room was tiny we did make it work (despite our suitcases cluttering up what little free space existed) and we got to be comfortable in it.

We had breakfast at the Grill twice during our stay. Once again the service was efficient and the food was quite good. I especially recommend the salt beef hash. The other mornings we ate at the nearby and wildly popular Breakfast Club. The front desk staff recommended this place and it is indeed very good. And this brings me to the neighborhood in general. I was initially not happy at being stuck in gritty Shoreditch but we both grew to appreciate it. We enjoyed wandering an area of London we would never have otherwise seen. There's an exceptional Chinese restaurant called Sichuan Folk that's about a ten minute walk from the Hoxton. I highly recommend it.

The Hoxton was indeed a tremendously good value. It really is best, though, for younger folk with little luggage who need a place to crash for a night or two. I don't mean to sound derogatory as the Hoxton staff certainly made us feel very welcome. And it is a very well managed hotel with much to appreciate. I would have adored this place if I was thirty years younger.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank imperator12
brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I spent one week at Hoxton Hotel. Very interesting place, trendy decor, full of nice people, but with very small rooms and far from the main turistic spots. I would recommend the place for short stays and/or if you don't want to visit the traditional sites such as Buckingham Palace or Tower of London

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

If you like suave-hipster-esque venues, then this is the place for you.
Lovely interiors and amusing interiors, I simply loved how at home I felt at the Hox.

It's a few minutes away from Shoreditch House, which was convenient. Rooms were super clean and comfortable and the front desk should win a congeniality award for being uber chic, friendly and helpful.

Free fresh milk and water at all times, cute little breakfast bags and the food is delicious!
Will definitely book again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We can't wait until you book again ;-) Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share the love. Hope to see you real soon.
west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Having previously stayed here with my daughter I chose this fab hotel for a two day stay in London with a friend. I had requested the Hoxton Manor room we were not dissappointed. The room was brilliant . The bed was extremely comfortable. A lovely hot shower with toiletries. Free milk, water and coffee. The staff on reception were very friendly and helpful. We came back from eating out and enjoyed drinks in the ba and people watching. All in all a very good stay in London will definately stay again ... Thank you x

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
No thank you! Thanks for sharing your review and the kind words! Great to hear you liked the room and would come back again. We will definitely have you back.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Extremely trendy, imagine the W Hotel and step it up a notch on the cool-o-meter. My room was on the small side but it welcomed me with smooth jazz as I opened the door and insert my card. Breakfast is not included, although they have a breakfast bag (a brown bag with a banana, yogurt and orange juice) that hits the spot until lunch. Free water and milk, and cool cosmetics in the bathroom. Closet is uber small. Not cheap, but cheaper than your average London hotel because it's a bit off the beating path: 20 minutes away on Tube from anywhere, but it's a short walk to the station. The bad thing is that the party in the lobby at night is very loud and since I was on the first floor, I could hear the thump thump. Regardless, I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the first floor unless you like to party in your room