“Great Hotel”

The Hoxton, Shoreditch
Ranked #93 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was our third stay at the Hoxton. Our room was on floor 3 and very quiet. Front of house staff are excellent and very helpful. The northern line of the tube was closed all weekend which was a bind but the staff were very helpful in finding us alternative travel. We really like the breakfast bag and the fact that everything is so clean. It's the perfect place for a short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing willow street
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Hox_Hotel, Hox Team at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Elizabeth! Thank you for choosing to stay again, we're happy you agree that we're the perfect place for a short stay and would love to see you for a fourth time too.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Friendly front desk staff, small to very small rooms, pretty good location (tube is 5 min walk, Shoreditch right there), happening bar scene.
Water, basic breakfast, internet are included.
Restaurants within a couple min walk.
Noisy if you're in a lower floor.
Rooms are aging ....some pretty fast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Ben S, Director of Operations at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hi V M,

Thanks for the review, we're a friendly bunch over here at the Hoxton.

Sorry you felt the rooms are aging, we are consistently maintaining our rooms to ensure they look as good as new. Good news we are also giving all of our bedrooms are getting a fantastic refurbishment, the rooms are going to look fab!

Next time your in London come and check them out

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The rooms are great, the bar is cool, the location and friendly staff make you want to return to the hoxton time after time. All of our stays here have never disappointed. They have thought of everything and is great value for money.

1  Thank Leebrit
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was my second stay at the Hoxton. I was coming to London to attend a gig in XOYO on Cowper Street and noticed that this was just round the corner from the Hoxton so I duly booked myself a room here without hestitation. The price of the room was a bit terrifying if I'm honest but this is possibly due to the time of the year.

I arrived into London off a very early flight and headed straight to the hotel as I knew you could drop your bag with them (as check in isn't until 2pm). I must have arrived around 10am and was told that I could in fact check in immediately as there was a room available. This meant I had the full day to enjoy in London withouth having to worry about carrying any of my valuables with me as I could lock them in the safe in my room. It also meant I could freshen up before I headed out, which was very welcome given the stifling heat in London that day!

Check in and check out were both super quick and simple (this was especially welcome on the way out as I was chasing a 6am train back to the airport!).

The room was identical to the one I stayed in last time although unfortunately it was on the first floor and directly beside the outside bar area, which was packed all day. I attempted to grab a power nap before dinner but this was impossible with the window open given the noise from the bar. However upon closing the window I remembered the air conditioning and that resolved the noise and heat issue almost instantly!

Unfortunately I left too early for my free breakfast but I did appreciate the three chilled bottles of water waiting for me in the fridge in my room upon arrival - much needed in that weather!

The hotel's location is a huge plus - there's a large Co-Op directly across the street which seemed to be open quite late into the evening, and Old Street tube station was only 5 minutes walk away. Not to mention an EAT, a Subway and a Pret just down the street.

Love this place. Will definitely be back whether it's for business or pleasure!!

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor to avoid noise from the bar!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TravellerKathy
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Nice entrance and reception flatters to deceive. Tiny room with completely ineffective air conditioning. Too noisy outside to open the window so lack of sleep guaranteed. Do I really want to hang a brown paper bag on my door in the expectation of getting a banana with a yoghurt for my breakfast? Forget it, far better places to stay at this price.

Management response:Responded July 27, 2013

Hi george1957,

Thanks for your feedback, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience here at the Hoxton. We sell sleep and we obviously haven't delivered on that during your stay.

I would love to discuss your stay here further, please drop me a line at benjamin@thehox.com

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Really good value for a London hotel in an interesting vibrant area. Friendly, attentive staff. Our room good, though paintwork a little tired, but great bathroom and shower. Very comfy bed and rare comfortable pillows! Chilled bar and lobby area and liked their cocktail menu! Seemed to attract wide variety of people both residents and people meting for business and pleasure. A hotel to be recommended for a London stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We're very pleased you enjoyed your time at the Hox and you'll be happy to hear the rooms are having a refurb this year - watch this space for a new, improved version! Hope to see you enjoying a cocktail again soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

**The hotel's AC is terrible resulting in two bad nights sleep - I recommend to avoid this hotel in summer. **

The check in process was streamlined and the staff friendly.

The restaurant and bar are very busy with good food, excellent service and brilliant vibe.

The rooms are OK and clean but lack robes, full mini bar and toiletries.

Location good.

• Stayed: July 2013
Ben S, Director of Operations at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Hi nickbelluk,

Thanks for the feedback, sorry to hear that your A/C was not working during your stay. Not ideal in these very hot summer evenings.

It would be great to discuss this further with you, please drop me a line at benjamin@thehox.com.