“Clean, good value, excellent breakfast”

Muswell Hill Guest House
Muswell Hill Guest House
Ranked #972 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Oxford
“Clean, good value, excellent breakfast”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed here for the third time recently, and again found the hotel to be excellent value for money. The room was a reasonable size, the beds comfortable, and everything was clean. The breakfast was spectacularly large and freshly cooked. A couple of minor quibbles: coffee was served from vacuum flasks, which meant that it was thoroughly stewed by the time we got to it; and here and there the building was fraying around the edges a little. However, the hotel is apparently about to close for renovations, which will no doubt remedy the latter issue. It's to be hoped that the refurbed hotel won't have higher prices though!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jenesaisfckall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed December 8, 2011

This was my second visit - the first being about 2 years ago and not particularly memorable - I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel seems to be undergoing some improvements, there is a new manager, new staff, and comfortable new beds. The English breakfast (which I remember was the best thing about my previous stay) is still good. Still a bit of a way to go - there were some creaks in the night, but nothing major. Useful location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Richard B
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2011

A pleasant hotel.
On the face of it recently had a facelift.
Water seemed to be pumped up from somewhere and during the night the pump could be heard but only when adjacent rooms used the taps. I am a light sleeper and was aware of it but it was not a real problem.
Room was average size.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank pambill2016
Bristol
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Very similar story to the last review. We stayed here while my wife was in the highgate hospital. The only reason we booked in to the hotel was to get some sleep for the 3 hour drive home the next day as I didnt fancy driving all that way without a decent nights sleep in the chair next to her bed.

Total waste of money !

We booked 2 single rooms which were both small but functional and a fair reflection of the price. I stayed in room 8 and my mother in law just down the hall. In the cavity wall behind the head board of my head was a noisy part of the plumbing/boiler that loudly rumbled everytime a tap was put on. (constantly all night). It's about as loud as a car engine at idle. I was so tired and in bed I put in my headphones for earplugs and tried to get to sleep. Tossed and turned until 03:55 when 2 guys and a girl checked in to the room next door. They were loud but not so much so that it would have been an issue were it not for the fact the walls appear to be made of card they are so thin. This went on for about 45 mins - 1 hour.

Then the traffic starts, The old aluminum windows are so useless you might as well be sat in the road it is so noisy.

When I met my mother in Law for breakfat (which was quite good) I discovered that her stay was no better and we were both exhausted and had got a couple of hours sleep each. I honestly would have beenbbetter off sleeping in the car.

We complained in the morning. I'm not expecting much for the money only that it is clean and that I get a good nights sleep, simple. It is clean to be fair, but don't bother coming here for sleep.

At first they acted supprised and claimed never to have heard any noise. however as I persisted this turned to "must be the boiler above one of the rooms again" to "we keep telling the owner it needs to get sorted" to find that exactly the same thing is already on here proves they know all about these issues and just chance it.

They also seemed to think I was reponsible for the noise for not getting dressed at 4 in the morning and confronting the drunk guys next door. (this place is all about service)!

Exhausted, tired and gumpy I flat refused to pay the bill in full and eventually after great protest we agreed on £75 for both rooms instead of the £110. I was too tired to argue further.

The lady on recepton took my number and said she would get the owner/manager to give me a call the next day. I have waited 3-4 days and no one has bothered. If they had just called and appologised I wouldn't have been bothered to log on here and register my dissatisfation.

They didn't, so I did !

Room Tip: stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank beakeypower_79
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed here for the evening whilst my daughter was at the highgate hospital.
We found it basic even for 3 star. The price compared with the near by hotels was a reflection on the quality of accommodation.
We had a double room and my son in law had a single. The double was clean, but basic with a very small bathroom with shower my husband found the shower too small he could hardly turn in it and the space between the shower and toilet was extremely cramp! The bed was of a wooden frame which was very squeaky and shaky. The bedding was pure white and clean as were the towels. The rooms were not at all sound proof and you could here the boiler running all night and heavy traffic around 6am as we had the window open for fresh air. Around 7am our room was filled with the smells from the kitchen that was directly below us!
The single room was similar other than it didn't have a toilet. That was just down the passage. This was right next to the boiler so my son in law had very little sleep.

The breakfast was nice, with branded quality produce and the service was good and cheerful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Melj_11
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed here for one night in order to attend a family party in Highgate. Our double room was actually a good sized family room with bunk beds and a double bed. The ensuite shower room was clean and modern. An unexpected bonus was secure on-site parking. The hotel is well-run and the staff professional and friendly. The decor is neutral, the bed was comfortable and the cooked breakfast of excellent quality. It is a two minute walk to the shops of Muswell Hill and on a bus route/convenient for the tube.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Grecofan2
London
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in february 2011 with my husband.
We had an ensuite room - was very clean and not as small as we were expecting for such a good value B&B.
The man on reception wasnt there when we arrived, we had to ring the buzzer and wait for him to come up to reception. We found him very friendly and funny, although I can possibly see how people would take him the wrong way.
Breakfast was good and included in the price of the room which is a bargain. Lots of choice.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for sure. Really very pleased with our stay, more than comfortable and was very clean and tidy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple