“Friendly staff but shame about what they provide!”
Review of Normandie Hotel

Normandie Hotel
Ranked #394 of 554 London B&B and Inns
“Friendly staff but shame about what they provide!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The Normandie hotel is well placed and have a friendly staff base but this in no way makes up for the lack of everything else. The rooms are clean but dated and there are no drinks! What are people supposed to do! Went out as didn't want to drink from the wc basin! The place was supposed to have a refit but the bed was like sleeping on the floor. Would have got a better sleep! Breakfast was 7.30am but did catch staff who kindly did mine earlier. Small, with coffee that I wouldn't put on the plants for fear of killing them! Sorry but won't be staying with them again. Room 15 top floor, did carry my bag up when they saw I had a problem with them.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank gunhopeachy
Andy M, Owner at Normandie Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
The hotel was refurbished in the winter and the beds were replaced ready for the summer and for the Olympics, as it is every winter during the quiet period.

Unfortunately, rooms get damaged quite quickly in all hotels and I apologise if you were put in a room that had not yet been refurbished or recently damaged, before we had the chance to rectify the matter. The beds in Room 15 were replaced soon after your stay.

I apologise sincerely for your bad experience but am very surprised that you disliked the coffee as most people comment on how good it is.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room for 2 nights. We checked in and kept our stuff and went for shopping. After coming at night we aee they gave our room to someone else by mistake and took all our luggage our to reception without asking. They did not even return the payment atlast being as a tourist I could t do anything but had to leave from there with our lugage

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank kuchash
Andy M, Owner at Normandie Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
You asked to be moved lower down. So I did so.
I returned for one night despite the 2 nights’ minimum restriction.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

hexham
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Were do i begin, i have just spent 2 nights in (room 8) here and the minute i walked in i should have known! i wish i had asked to see the room before i payed, sink, toilet holder, plug socket were coming off the wall, toilet seat not secure, curtains hanging off rail the furniture was old and grubby, no lock on the window and the bed oh my i would be ashamed to put it on the tip! I dont think they have a nozzle on there hoover to go around the edges of the room, i didnt want to put my feet on the carpet, the silicon in the shower room was filthy and coming away,i just wanted to get home and have a bath, there was no hair dryer and a disopointment theres was no tea making facilities, floor boards creaked and we could here the couple above at it!! on a possitive note the dinning room was clean and the breakfast was fine, i wont be returning here.

Room Tip: Dont go there, read these reviews and believe them.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian D
Andy M, Owner at Normandie Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Are you sure it was room 8 at the Normandie, as I regularly check the rooms and have never seen anything that you are complaining about.

Our maintenance man checks the rooms 2 or 3 times a week and repairs any slight faults in the room.

The floor boards have never creaked as all the flooring in the building was replaced 12 yars ago.

We advertise that hair dryers and tea-making faciities are available on request. They are provided if you ask at reception.

Unfortunately, when you came it ws just after the the Greek Orthodox Easter and I was on holiday.

In future could guests ask for Andy, if there is a problem, and I will do everything in my endeavour to deal with it.
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The hotel is a very inexpensive option and very near to the tube station at Paddington but it is a lower end hotel. Our room was #12 and was on the 3rd floor (that is the 4th for Americans) and they do not have a lift. The room was very clean, no bed bugs but the mattress is older (and I did take pictures of it if required to prove that it is not new). The breakfast is excellent and made to order. The radiator did not work but there was a very efficient space heater that did the trick. We did notice an odor to our room, I could not quite place what it was but the cleaning staff must have noticed it too because the window was wide open every day when we arrived back even though it was 0-5 degrees Celsius each day (that’s why we needed the space heater). Twice during our stay the power was turned off to our room. It happened late at night (past 22:00 hrs) on both occasions and we were thankful that we had battery back up on our alarm clock because we had an early train on our last day. When we told them that the power was out again, he was quite upset with us. The hotel would like to be a 3 star hotel but it really is not but for the price it does the trick. I think that is a good option for student travelers but definitely not for everyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah V
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I booked this hotel after seeing good reviews on another website and after doing so was really worried when I was advised to check Trip Advisor and read some of the horrible reviews. We stayed a week in a triple room which was not large or small but pleasant and very clean. The bath was tiny but people have to remember that most of these hotels are converted row houses with small spaces converted for other uses than they were originally intended. The breakfasts were wonderful and very filling. Every person that we dealt with from the owner to the ladies who made our breakfast were delightful. We had one problem during our stay that cause some concern. A leak developed in the shower above us and leaked into our room. We immediately went to the front desk and gathered waste baskets to catch the water and did have to live with it for 2 days because being New Years weekend they had no other rooms available for us. It only leaked when someone upstairs took a shower which was only once a day so we were fine. I was more worried about it ruining the carpet but the waste baskets caught it all. The people who work were very solicitous about our comfort through all of this. When we got back to the hotel the evening of New Years day the desk clerk was watching for us and told us they did not have a room at the Normandie but did have one available a few doors down at their sister hotel The Pacific and would we mind moving. We had prepared ourselves to be moved at a moments notice so within 5 minute we were on our way to our new room. We obviously travel light (2 carry-ons between 3 people). Our room at the Pacific was very nice as well, in fact it had a huge bath. On the second day at our new hotel my daughter ran into one of the ladies who ran the breakfast room at the Normandie and she told my daughter that she missed us and would we please come over and have breakfast once more before we left which we did. Nothing in life is perfect. Perfection is God's alone. Stuff happens, it is how people react to it and carry on that decides the outcome. I have stayed in really bad hotels that I had to actually check out of 10 minutes after checking in. I have worked in customer service in both retail an a corporate setting all my adult life and appreciate genuine care for the customer when I see it. I saw it in abundance at both of these hotels and will stay with them again. It is only a few blocks away from Paddington Station so you can take the train in from the airport and walk to the hotel.

Room Tip: I you have a problem with stairs specifically ask if they have a main floor room. But remember that...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Andy M, Owner at Normandie Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to place a review and also for your kind comments.

If there are any concerns by future guests, please raise them with Andy, the owner of the hotel.

I am not there every day., but at least 3 times a week.

We hope to see you again soon.

Thank you once again.
Winchester
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This 'hotel' (if you can call it that?) is an absolute disgrace.
I booked a 1 night stay and didn't!
The room and bed was filthy, stained bedding, dirtry carpet and an ensuite which was small, dirty and smelly.
This place should be condemned.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ROBUKWINCHESTER
Andy M, Owner at Normandie Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
The health inspectors and Visit London have not condemned the hotel, so I am surprised you suggested it. The carpets were steam cleaned before Xmas and the bedding was washed.The bed was replaced in the spring this year. I checked the bathrooms that day and they were by no means smelly. The bathrooms are not small otherwise they would not have been allowed by the District Surveyor.

I apologise if you were not happy with the hotel but you have to realise it is a small Bed and Breakfast Hotel with limited space for large bathrooms.
portsmouth UK
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed in this hotel (room 4) on 4th October. I often visit London to see shows, and I have to say this is the WORST hotel I have stayed in. I was supposed to stay in the Abbey Court Hotel just down the road, but on arrival was told there was some "problem" about my room, and I was transferred to their "sister" hotel the Normandie. My room had a double bed and a single, so no room to put luggage. The carpet was filthy as were the curtains. After searching for the "tea making facilities" I went to reception to enqire. The receptionist seemed astounded that I would expect this, and disappeared for several minutes before producing a cup and T bags and milk. The first kettle didn't work, but the second one did. On the plus side, the sheets/towels were clean, and the cooked breakfast was adequate. As for the furniture...the bedside cupboards were very old, and both had one of their knobs missing, just a nail sticking out where originally a knob had been. The wardrobe had the same problem....no sign of "Health & Safety" in that hotel.

Room Tip: Just Don't stay there
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sallyannportsmouthUK
Andy M, Owner at Normandie Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
I am afraid I was on holiday on 4th October so was unable to deal with your complaints personally.

My staff felt obliged to give you a very large triple room since you were reloctaed from another hotel even though you had paid for a single room.

The standard at the Normandie is the same as the Abbey Court apart from tea making facilites. Tea making facilities are only available on request.

The carpets were steam cleaned in the spring and the curtains were dry cleaned.

Apparently the previous guest had removed the knobs on the bedside table and the wardrobe.

Breakfast is freshly cooked while the guests are drinking their juice and tea or coffee and is limitless. Most people refer to it as "awesome " or "delicious".

I apologise sincerely if you were not more than happy with the hotel and would gladly discuss anything further with you personally. I am here every Monday and Friday between 7am and 12pm and three other mornings.