“Not bad”

Ranked #572 of 1,088 Hotels in London
whitby
“Not bad”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

It certainly doesn't look like the promo pictures. All in need of a lick of paint as a bit tired. But not bad. Clean and in a great location. An easy walk to upper street and Islington from here. oK value for money. Could do worse but not amazing for quality or value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Daniela C, Manager at Citadines St Mark's-Islington London, responded to this review, April 14, 2016
Dear Laura,

Our apartments are subjected to rigorous checks in order to maintain our high standards of housekeeping and maintenance, and I am sorry we have failed on this occasion. At the moment we are undertaking a refurbishment and we hope to improve our building going forward and your comments are greatly appreciated.

We understand that we did not meet your expectations this time; however we would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future so we can show you the true Citadines experience.

Daniela Codreanu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic place. Fully recommended!

Greeted with a smile upon arrival.

Studio apartment is very spacious and has a fully equipped kitchenette.

kngsize bed is very comfy. Large flat screen TV perfectly placed.

Stayed in lots of places in London and for the price this is fantastic value.

Well done Ascott serviced apartments

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank JFT7
Dear JFT7,

Thank you for posting a glowing review of your stay with us at Citadines St Marks Islington.

We are delighted that our apartment met your expectations and we would like to thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves in providing high standard apartments and our outmost aim is to have happy guests.

We very much appreciate your kind words about the facilities that we offer and look forward to offering you a warm welcome on your next visit to London.

London
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a slightly strange review for me to write, as my stay here was due to being relocated by my insurance company whilst building work was being carried out to my home less than a mile away.
As I live close by and this was my first stay in a serviced apartment in London I have little to compare it to.
What I would say though is that the staff here were excellent and I would certainly consider this a better option than a hotel room for a medium term stay, presuming a similar price point.
I didn't see my bill so can't comment further on value for money
The apartment itself was spacious and well equipped though some of the fittings and equipment were a little basic.
The welcome pack was enough to get me through the first day or so but no more.
Wifi was included and was strong and quick.
Others have mentioned the long walk from reception and as my apartment was on the top floor at the farthest corner of the building this was certainly the case, though this had the advantage that it was a quiet part of the building.
Overall then I had a comfortable stay and no significant complaints.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SuperTrev
Dear SuperTrev,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Apartment was very spacious and comfortable. All appliances operated well, including the spacious strongbox (safe).

Angel tube stop is less than 10 minute's walk. Bus stop (west bound on City Road) is about 50 meters from the entrance. Was not happy with the extra 60£ per day service fee.

Room Tip: It can be a long walk to your room, and some apartments are in an attached building where a short fl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CapinDFW
Dear CapinDFW,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2012

St. Marks was a little more expensive than other comparable places we've stayed in London - but in terms of location and what you get for your money, it really is worth it.

The apartments are located in Islington which turned out to be my favourite part of London by far. St. Mark's is about a 3 minute walk to Angel tube station, which is surrounded by restaurants and little boutique shops.

The two bedroom apartment we stayed in was beautiful. Very clean, very spacious with a kitchen, two bathrooms and a large living area. The room also had a washing machine and dryer.

The front desk is manned until quite late at night - we never arrived home after a night out with nobody to welcome us, so I imagine late check-ins wouldn't be a problem. The apartment complex is also situated opposite both a mini-mart and an internet cafe which was especially handy.

One thing to consider is that the rooms aren't serviced while you are there - or at least this was the case when we stayed for our 7 days. This may be a service available at an extra charge.

I'd definitely stay here again, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris W
Dear Chris,,

Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Nothing much of the luxury apartments here. Old Victorian style, needs renovation, tired bedlinen and towels. Extremely noisy with road vehicle noise, no double glazing, no curtains, broken blinds, shower over bath.....

Room Tip: View the room first, don't pick one close to City Road.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jim L
Dear Jim L,

Allow us to first thank you for your review and for taking the time to write your thoughts about Citadines St Marks. Such comments are always very valuable for us and I can assure you that we are already working on the areas of improvement you have highlighted.

NYC
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My husband and I are staying here as temporary housing while looking for a permanent residency (we are relocating to London from the US) for the next several weeks. And while, yes, the staff are very polite and accommodating, there are some serious issues with the building itself. For example, within my first week the dryer was clogged and could not dry clothes, ergo the maintenance attendant had to be sent up; the hot water stopped working, ergo the maintenance attendant had to be sent up; there were no instructions for the oven and--as our welcome book suggested--we called reception but THEY didn't know how to operate it, ergo the maintenance attendant had to be sent up; there is no air conditioning so we had to specially request a fan in the unseasonably warm weather--but it couldn't be sent until the following day, leaving a night drenched in sweat. Several issues we have dealt with were simple (the dryer, the fan, the oven) and could have easily been taken care of BEFORE we arrived if they performed due diligence and checked their appliances etc.

Their "welcome package" is subpar compared to other residential options we were given (I regret not choosing them now!). The package contained a couple instant coffees, tea bags, dish soap, a sponge, and gel packs for laundry. You will most certainly need to go grocery shopping if you plan on staying awhile, and note that while you get a couple pots and a pan, you have no baking dishes.

Additional things to consider include:
1) Each apartment has a different layout. There were some issues with our first apartment, and so the second apartment we were given was a much better layout for us and what we wanted. Don't be afraid to ask if they have another option at which you may look.

2) Although my apartment didn't face the street, it was very easy to hear street noises. Coming from a city, this does not annoy us so much, but it may annoy other patrons (bring earplugs?). That said, I rarely heard anyone in the building.

3) The mattress and pillows leave something to be desired.

4) Be aware that it is an old building with long, winding halls. If walking is an issue for you, I'd suggest requesting an apartment closer to the entrance. I had to walk quite a bit to my apartment.

While I'm certainly not expecting a five-star hotel, I expect the basic amenities to be there and functioning with relative ease--especially if they advertise themselves to be perfect temporary lodging for business executives.

Room Tip: Top floor (3) has lovely skylights--my apartment had two and there are several in the hallway.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business