Mandalay Picton House Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewspaddington stationsussex gardensshort walk from hyde parkrooms are smallno elevatortoilet and showertwin bedspubs and restaurantsfive minute walkhotel is in a great locationbreakfast was includedstayed for one nightluggagebasement
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I came on one week.
Met pleasant people clean accommodation and peace and tranquility in the entire hotel and decided to extend for another week.
Everything just fit for me, price, location, employees.
Pleasant little family hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vjekoslav p
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My parents,sister and I have stayed twice at Mandalay Picton. In fact, we are leaving only tomorrow for Europe. We are a family from Canada and Bangladesh. We have the same family room (four beds and private shower/wc). The room is large and clean. Breakfast is ample,suitable for both vegetarian and non vegetarian. The hotel is centrally located; many buses,tubes,restaurants and near Paddington station. We felt very safe and comfortable. I can highly recommend the place to anyone looking for reasonably priced and clean hotel. We didn't pay much and it is great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2013

based on the price really was not expecting anything much.

however if you are staying there you have to note the following:
1) keys. you are expected to return your keys to the reception. why? because losing the key would cost you 5 pounds. However, this is hardly a good reason for mandating that guests leave their keys behind. In fact, this is the 1st time i've been to a place where I am require to drop the key at the reception before I leave and retrieve it from there when I'm back. where is the security? anyone who spots the key at the reception would know that I'm not in and i have no control over who can access the room.
2) door label. there is no door label to indicate I do not require cleaning or do not wish to be disturbed. after a day out, i noticed my items moved from its original location and also found an item missing. i did not pursue the matter as it is a low cost item. There were also signs that indicate that my unlocked stuff was tampered with. It is indeed very disturbing to find the articles in my room being moved and handled without my permission. This created alot of distress as i had no idea who might have entered my room and fiddled with my stuff.
3) breakfast. so-so. baked beans, egg with bacon, a mish-mash of mushrooms, carrots and beans, and toast (sometimes cold).
4) central heating system. it is a centralised system with no individual control. Hence there is no way to control the environment in your room without affecting everybody in the hotel.
5) noise - it is quite noisy and sometimes you can hear noise from the next room as well as people trudging past by.
6) TV - it doesnt work.
7) bathroom - i expected it to be small but not as small as this. there is really no room to turn around. the toilet seat was severely cracked and it gives me the creeps whenever i used it, which is as sparingly as I could afford to. only soap bar provided. so bring more if required.
8) payment - not only you are required to pay when you first do the booking. you are also required to pay the full amount once you check in. so please do note.
9) no lift - if you are allocated a room not on the 1st floor, you'd better bring someone strong to carry your luggage.
10) wifi. wifi is 2 pounds a day and it is practically non-existent in the room. the only place that has best the reception is in the lobby area.

if you going to stay, you must be careful of your belongings and take note of the small room. if you need wifi, there is no reception unless you do not mind staying in the lobby instead of the comfort of your room.

I for one would definitely not go back after this terrible experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank guyguyx2
oslolondon, Owner at Mandalay Picton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

I would like to respond to the review written by guyguyx2 on 06/0713. 1) The room key is requested to leave at the reception for fire safety as the management will know which room is in or out in case of fire emergency. In fact it does cost five Pounds to replace the key.2) We never clean any room if the guest does not wish to be cleaned expect we check the toilets to ensure the water tabs are not kept running and if fresh towels are required. If any item of the guest is missing , the guest should report to the management in order to deal with the matter. we have not had any guest missing any belongings. 3) A warm and proper breakfast is served every morning. Again if it is not suitable the guest should let the management know. 4) The hot water is available 24 hours and every radiator has a control knob to make the room warmer or less . We even provide extra portable heaters if requested. 5) In a hotel some noise will always be there. We have not had any major noise problem. 6) We check the TV in every room every day. If it still does not work the management should be notified. 7) This is a a small bed and breakfast hotel and the toilets are not very large. If anything is not functioning or broken we always repair it or change it. 8) Once check in it is the hotel policy to be paid in full as we do not want to have any problem with the payment later. 9) We have never advertise that we have a lift. We always help the guest to take their luggage to their rooms if they require.10) A small fee of 2 Pounds is only charged for wifi connection if the guest can get the reception in their own room. It is very difficult for the management to solve or take care of any difficulty of the guest if they do not communicate and let us know.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Having read other peoples reviews prior to booking, I was really dissapointed.
Yep, I expected the room to be tiny and the shower, toilet and handbasin squeezed into the tiniest of spaces .and they were. I can live with that but I did at least expect a comfortable bed. Alas it sagged and had clearly seen years of service . That , coupled with the noise from having a single glazed sash window ensured it was impossible to sleep . .
Breakfast was inedible and I left tired and hungry.
The only positive was the location. Very handy for the tube, but in future would look for another B&B.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Andy T
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Well done to Dwight and his family for making this place welcoming and warm to guests. He speaks Norwegians too - having lived there and trained as a Chef for over 15 years. The BB is kept clean and neat - please don't expect 5 stars Hotel rating or Michelin stars breakfast menu. Highly Recommended - for the cost, location, sincere owners. I will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for modern shower rooms if preferred - ie slightly bigger shower room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business