“My fourth stay this year.”

Mandalay Picton House Hotel
Ranked #294 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Karlstad, Sweden
“My fourth stay this year.”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

When I am in London, I always stay here. Why? Because of the sincere welcome; the friendly, helpful owners and the safe, secure environment.

There is no better value for money hotel in London. That is a fact. Yes, there are more expensive hotels. There are more modern hotels. And there are 5 star hotels. But none of them give you quite the same warm welcome time after time.

For me that's the unique 5 star quality that Mandalay and Dwight and Gary have mastered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank macwind

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the Mandalay Picton house. The owner and his family were so friendly and helpful to us while we stayed there and they added to our experience in London.

Good: Great staff, clean place to stay, great value. Good location relative to Tube stops, especially the Heathrow Express to Paddington train. The breakfast was very enjoyable and included cereal, fresh made eggs, tea, juice, cookies, and toast. Wonderful! Everything was clean and we felt comfortable in our room.

Average: the room we had was a bit tight and, like many European hotels with bathrooms added to rooms after the fact, the bathroom was small.

Overall we recommend this as a good, clean, and friendly place to stay while in London. We will use it again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pat S
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and it was a pleasant stay. The hotel was convenient with walking distance to tube (5 mins) and stores nearby. Was surprised that this hotel served halal food which makes it easier for us to eat.

Had stayed in a rather large room to accommodate the 5 of us (3 small kids) but the room was still cozy and clean. Loved that the rooms were warm when outside it was freezing. TV and toilets worked fine without any problems.

However, the best thing about the hotel are the people and them being very accommodative to our needs. They also managed to book us a taxi from the hotel to Heathrow at a good price and were very accommodating in terms of directions to eat and go to certain places. They also packed us breakfast as we had to check out early in the morning. Noticed that some of the people there spoke other languages as well (not mistaken French and Japanese).

Negative side of it was maybe the breakfast as wasn't as good as expected but that was me alone as none of the others raised it up. Wifi signal in the room was also quite poor. However, overall a very good stay indeed..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank s_idid
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great location, great staff, very reasonable rates (plus a reduction for only having 3 in a quad room). Rooms are clean and serviceable. Only one complaint, the fire alarm went off at 6.50 am!! Finally, although it's adequate and surprising that its included considering the low rates, I would recommend going out for breakfast!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I and my 9 year old son have had the pleasure to visit this hotel five times since may 2011. Allways the stay has been relaxing, and with perfect, but respecful services. It is situated just between to underground stations, closest is Paddington st. The personal is very service minded, and allways in a good mood. The rooms are just somewhere to sleep. But it is allways clean, and fresh. In the end, I have to meantion the calm and quite moment och breakfast. People from Sweden, Norway and elsewhere who share their experiencies from yesterday, and perhaps what will happen today. I will say.. go there!!! You will not be disappointed! Väl mött på Picton Mandalay hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed September 4, 2012

if you are looking for luxury, don't go here. But if you want a safe and very cheap place to stay, go! The hotel is small and the opposite of fancy, but the owners are extremely helpful and nice. The room I had was very small but also very clean, which is not always true of London hotels.
The bathroom was tiny and not very comfortable, but again - clean.
The full English breakfast was included in the room price.
This hotel is perfect is you are in London to stay out - and not in. It is real value for money, and the location only two minutes walk from Paddington is perfect, especially if you are flying in and out from Heathrow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter in July 2010 for 3 nights. I had decided on it through reading the reviews here on tripadvisor for budget hotels in London. It is close to Paddington station, about a 5 min walk. And just around the corner from a great little Italian cafe which served great coffee. And a 5 min walk to a great Indian restaurant, called Noorjahan 2.
The staff at Mandalay Picton were all really friendly, helpful and polite, they serve a good size breakfast in the mornings too. The room catered for our needs with twin beds and an ensuite bathroom. I remember reading some reviews about the ensuites being small. Well, this one had room for a basin, a toilet and a shower. And room to stand and dry yourself. What more does a person need? The shower worked really well, I didn't feel cramped at all in it, or in the bathroom. The room was really quiet also. I always take decent earplugs with me when I travel, but I had no need to use them here.
It was also no trouble to leave our bags with them after checkout, as we had a late flight out.
I'd stay here again with no hesitation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family