“Pleasant enough but a little out of the way”

NH London Kensington
Ranked #247 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Castaic, CA
“Pleasant enough but a little out of the way”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Nice hotel in London, within a 10 min walk to Earls Court underground. My review is somewhat tainted in that we had to get a room for 3, so the hotel's only choice was to give us a handicap room below ground facing the back street. Opened up the large window for fresh air but had to close in during the night due to emergency sirens every hour. I've stayed in handicap rooms before as last resort, but definitely not my first choice.

Overall, staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast was decent as well. Hotel is close to some museums but approximately 40-45 min away from Westminster Abbey and many other attractions by tube. This may be a positive for some. My travel agent has booked others here as well with nothing but positive reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I liked this hotel because my big windows opened and you can get a fresh breeze in your room. Also, if you do not face the street and look out onto the beautiful courtyard in the back the it will be quiet enough to have your windows open all night which I love. This hotel seems pretty small and the staff is very friendly. They always have flavored water in the lobby and coffee too. The rooms are pretty small, but most of Europe inner city rooms are pretty small for this price point. I actually thought this room was a little bigger than most in Europe.
I think the location was great. If you are right next to restaurants then it is going to be loud. You might have to walk about 4 blocks to get to Gloucester Street where there are a myriad of choices for food. There is a grocery store very close (about a block).
Okay for the negatives. My refrigerator in my room did not work. In addition, my colleague said hers did not work either. I have had friends stay here that said that there fridge did not work. Also, no ice machines. I think the bar will give you ice if you ask. The work out room is small and a bit dark. However, they just got some Precor machines that are much nicer than their old ones. Also, not all of the rooms have bathtubs and from what I understand, if you have a room that faces the street, it gets quite loud.
All in all I think this hotel fares quite well. I like being so close to the tube at Gloucester station and the lovely courtyard in the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with a bathtub and also a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MichaelMinneapolis
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been staying at the NH Kensington for the last years every time I have visited London, -mostly on business- and my experience has been great! I have also stayed there however with my wife on holiday and the experience was equally terrific.

Excellent service, with extremely friendly staff. Competitive rates. Confortable rooms. Good location, with lots of restaurants nearby and quick access to the tube, but still very quiet and nice area...

I have only missed the possibility of working out a bit at a gym or a pool that this hotel does not unforunately have. I do not normally have much spare time in London however, so that is fine with me: NH Kensington keeps being my first option to stay in London!

Room Tip: If possible ask for rooms with views to the backyard, which are normally calmer than the ones with v...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Carlos_Pires_S
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

While located close to a tube station, it is definatly not centrally located, although there are a few quaint shopping areas etc. somewhat nearby (if you have the time to wander around a bit and find them)... be prepared to walk at least a few blocks for dinner etc. if you aren't eating at the hotel. The breakfast (included) was very good. Our room wasn't ready when we got in from our overnight flight until 3 pm check in time. the back garden to the hotel looked very nice although we didn't get the opportunity to use it. Our room was clean, contemporary decor and small (to be expected in London), amenities were nicely fruit scented. Beds were hard, and not particularly comfortable. The staff friendliness was usually abrupt, and they usually looked like they were straining to be helpful - but were courteous enough and did help with directions etc. Our safe wasn't working in our room, and when i called - the desk clerk acted annoyed and make it sound like it was our fault however the maintenance person was there in a flash to reset/fix it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed June 15, 2013

whenever I am in London, I always stay in this hotel. The staff is attentive and service is always very good. the rooms are great, especially the ones that face the garden, which allows for a good night sleep without any noice, in the middle of London. Nice boutique hotel in this area of town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the London and looking for a good hotel at a resonable price. The front desk staff is excellent! Very professional, friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was wonderful as well. Lots to choose from, and they even take special requests so you are not just limited to what's on the buffet. The wait staff was also exceptional. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the Earl's court tube station, so it was very convenient as well.
I will definitely be staying there again the next time I'm in London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great hotel within a five minute walk from the Earl's Court tube station. The staff were very helpful and let us check in a few hours early after our overnight flight. The room was a good size and was very clean. We had a room facing the garden on the ground floor and it was very quiet. The breakfast had a great variety to offer for those we are vegetarian like us. The location of the hotel is great. There are plenty of restaurants, pubs, grocery stores all within walking distance. We were also within walking distance from the Victoria and Albert Museum too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple