“Jazz cafe”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Jazz cafe”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Very comfortable atmosphere and no need to dress up! The staff were very helpful and the banned that played were very good. Wouldn't say excellent as all their songs only had one or two words and were easy to remember.

Visited September 2012

London England
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Very cramped crowded seating, pillars can obscure view, but can feature some great bands”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Been here a few times, on this occasion 25th April to see the Keith Tippett Octet - a really great band and providing a wonderful evening of jazz.
The venue however is less than perfect - the seating arrangements are overly cramped - they even charge for sitting on the window sills! My seat was behind a massive pillar obscuring my view of the stage - I only saw half the band.
On a previous visit the original band had cancelled and a substitute put on, but without giving me any prior notification (I pre-booked and had paid well in advance) so my journey was wasted, and no refund was offered.
So whilst it can be fun venue with the right band, there are issues. The staff on the door and bar are very nice so well done to them, but the management really needs to resolve the seating and ticketing problems.

Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Vortex Jazz Club offers some innovative music, the restaurant downstairs is below average”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Enjoyed a night out at the Vortex Jazz Club recently where I saw 2 great bands. N.E.W & Sean Noonan's "born to brew". Both bands were fantastic and certainly worth keeping an eye out for. This review, however, focuses on the bar and restaurant known as 'downstairs at the vortex' where I had opted to eat before the performance in the jazz club proper. To start with the service was poor. The staff member on duty that night was more interested in paying plenty of attention to her boyfriend (who was hovering around) then on the customers. I had to wait a while to get served. The food (from a basic menu) took ages to arrive and the dishes ordered by my guest and I arrived at different times. By the time mine arrived he had finished his. I hate that when that happens. I noted that the kitchen had managed to get them ready together but the bar staff member (still distracted) didn't know which table to take the food to, she had taken my dish to another diner! when i pointed this out all she could say was "chill out". That is is simply not good enough and very poor service.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Elias_Tate
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“room with a view”
Reviewed December 15, 2010

The club seemed quite nice and prices cheap compared to ronnie scotts (what isn't?) Unfortunately although I had booked and paid over a month in advance and arrived 20 mins before the place even opened I found that my reserved seat consisted of a windowsill (seriously. complete with window).
I was fortunate. Other windowsill dwellers had travelled from far and wide (I'd only come across London) I understand that the usual procedure if If there is only standing room (or windowsill) space available then you should be informed of this beforehand and/or the ticket is cheaper. When I put this to the person in charge I was offered no apology and told the reason was the club was too small. Well I never!

A TripAdvisor Member
“Vortex - the place for jazz”
Reviewed July 8, 2006

The Vortex is a really amazing place to hear live jazz at very reasonable prices for London. It's surprisingly easy to get to in Dalston. It's 100 yards from the train station, being just two stops from Highbury & Islington on the Victoria Line and 10 minutes from Liverpool Street on the bus. We went to hear a great young band, Empirical, whom we didn't know, but just loved the sax player. It was just £8, which seems to be about the average price. You are sitting within touching distance of the band.

Many musicians also come to hear the music - Courtney Pine was also checking the band out.

There isn't any food available yet, but we went to a really good Turkish restaurant Mangal 2, just up the road. Reasonable selection of wines and beers.

It's probably the closest London has to the New York jazz club scene, and, looking at the programme, there seem to be really great bands visiting, such as Tim Berne, Kenny Wheeler, etc.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member