“great stay - nice alternative to typical hotel”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #35 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Weston, Connecticut
“great stay - nice alternative to typical hotel”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

this was a great little hotel. the receptionist couldn't have been nicer. What a shockingly good surprise that wifi was complimentary and fast. the decor is understated but chic. No lift but if you can scale stairs it is not a problem. Woke to the smell of pastries - just like home, if my wife were a morning person, and a pastry chef. Room size was large compared to other more expensive hotels I've stayed at in the area. Very relaxing, couldn't be more satisfied.

Room Tip: stayed in room 24. Street facing but didn't really hear any street noise. Slept very soundly.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting such a splendid review from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am delighted that you found our hotel very comfortable and relaxing but most of all I am very happy to read that my team managed to deliver this kind of service you were looking for therefore you couldn't be more satisfied.
I truly hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me personally when you decide to stay with us on your next visit in London.

Marta Wasilewska - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 26, 2014

If you are looking for a place close to Paddington (5-10 min. cab), with shopping and restaurants nearby, this place is perfect. I've stayed at the Indigo because I can walk to Paddington, but there are very few restaurants nearby, and no shopping. There are 25-30 boutiques on Marylebone High Street (pubs & coffee shops too). Baker street is the closest cross street, it has an Upper West side feel to it (strollers, nail salons, and other services). This hotel is as lovely as the posh places I've stayed in Mayfair (there is no marble in the bathroom, but it's beautiful, new tile). It's not run down like a lot of these small hotels, with 10-year old photos on the website. This is not a "destination hotel," because it's small. It has a 6-seater bar, and a cozy breakfast room. Excellent for a romantic weekend -- or if you're traveling alone. The ladies at the front desk are so warm and lovely. Like staying with a friend.

Room Tip: My room faces the street and it's noisy. Ask for one facing the back if you don't have earpl...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Max98116
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting such a wonderful review from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am pleased to read that you liked our décor and you found our location very convenient therefore you could take the most from your visit in London
We are proud of what we are doing and we truly want to create ‘home away from home’ atmosphere.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users and we are hoping to be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Rome, Lazio, Italy
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 4 days in April with my family. The hotel is very nice and clean. It is located in a strategic position, very close to Oxford Street but far away from its bustle. The staff is friendly and attentive to guests' needs (Enrico in particular, has been very proactive in all our needs and yet I thank him for his kindness and attention). The downsides are the lack of lift and the lack of variety of the breakfast in relation to its price. Furthermore, confy rooms are small. In any case, I have been very well and satisfied throughout. I would go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting your kind feedback from your last satay at Montagu Place Hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you find our staff extremely attentive and friendly. We very much appreciate your comments and we do hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at Montagu Place for one night as I had an embassy interview the next morning. It was a very pleasant hotel, the room was clean and quite spacious, the television had a good range of channels and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and always helpful. One thing to say is my room was on the top (third) floor and there was no lift which was fine for me but if youre older or your mobility is hindered somehow then make sure when you book your room it is on a low or bottom floor. The drinks at the bar were expensive but that can be expected at a hotel bar, and the the bathroom was quite chilly in the morning. However these are very minor complaints and I would highly recommend staying at Montagu Place as it was a very pleasant hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Evie540
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time and sharing your positive review from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am very pleased to read that our hotel made good impression on you and you found our staff very helpful and friendly. We appreciate your comments and take it very seriously.
Thank you for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users and we are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.
Marta Wasilewska
Athina
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The extremely polite receptionist, Andreas, told us upon arrival: "I want to make you feel this is your home in London" and he did! He was so helpful with absolutely everything, the room was so elegant and comfortable at the same time, it could have been my bedroom. The sleep quality, temperature, linen, bed, pillows, quietness, smells everything was pleasant and relaxing. The LOCATION is absolutely great with so many choices of where to go by foot (Oxford street, Baker Street, Marylebone High street, Hyde Park, Regent Park). Paddington station is very close, making Heathrow airport access so very easy and stress free.
The room was very nice, well lit, spacious and the amenities were good quality brands. If I was to find one small negative, it would be the size of the bathroom, which required some manouvering, especially after one had laid down the bath mat. Nonetheless all the pro's of the room more than make up for this tiny con, so it is a very strong recommendation from my part.

Room Tip: Just to alert people to the fact that the hotel does not have a lift! For the luggage, the staff wil...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lemonitsa2011
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and posting this outstanding review on Tripadvisor.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and find the room very elegant, comfortable and equipped with everything you needed.
I am proud to read that Andreas managed to create ‘home away from home’ atmosphere and consequently he made your stay so memorable.
Once again thank you for recommending us to other Tripadvisor users and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back at Montagu Place Hotel on you next visit in London.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 27, 2014

It was a handy 5 minute walk to Baker street station and had a nice "new" vibe about it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Only drawback was that there were no lifts and breakfast was additional.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and sharing your feedback form you last stay in our hotel.
I am glad to read that you find our location very convenient and the staff friendly and helpful.
I very much appreciate your comments and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back at Montagu Place Hotel in the future.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This hotel is like a luxurious without extravaganza big home with 15 rooms, a dining room and a living room. Its very very cozy, with minimal good taste decoration everywhere. We felt very tranquile, serene and in peace and had a wonderful quiet sleep. The sheets are luscious percale cotton, the towels are bright white cotton, the toiletries are fine british Molton Browns, even the toilet paper is of high quality. The rooms are sparkling cleaned everyday and the complimentary coffee and tea maker in the room with the fridge is very handy. The beds are very comfortable, especially the twin swanky room ideal. The rooms are big as well as the bathroom which, apart from a huge bath tub, it also has an en suite shower cabinet. The dining room serves wonderfuly fresh priduce breakfast. Freshly cut fruit salad, high quality ham and cheeses, croissants, breads, yogurt, high quality honey and marmlade, wholewheat fiber cereals of all kinds, juices and made to rder eggs, toast and coffees. The value of the breakfast is superb, as one may have as much as they want. Needless to say of the extreme kindness of the staff at the reception and the dining room. Extremely polite, generous and eager to help and please us 24 hrs/day, all of them. Congratulations to the manager of the hotel and the owner. A wonderful jewel in central London. I will definately recommend it to anyone and will come back as soon as I visit London again. I would sincerely like to thank everyone in the staff and wish you always to have a full house and prosperity. Well done. We would also like to thank for the complimentary good price they gave us and the promotion reduction for future stay. Very good value for money indeed for such a location and service.

Room Tip: If you don t like the stairs, mention it during the booking so they give you a 1st floor room, as th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First and foremost I would like to say that it was pleasure to host you in our hotel and I am very happy that you enjoyed our Weekend Special Offer with complimentary glass of bubbly. Thank you very much for taking some time and posting this splendid review on Tripadvisor from you last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am thrilled to read that you find our team helpful and attentive. We are very proud of what we are doing and it is always a big pleasure to read comments like yours.
I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and find our hotel luxury with good taste decoration and sparkling clean rooms.
Once again thank you for recommending us to the other Tripadvisor users and we very much hope to be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.