“Comfortable Hotel in Marylebone”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed here only one night during a personal extension of a business trip, and chose it based on location, positive tripadvisor reviews, and the discounted price for a Sunday night stay. It is pretty much how it presents itself on its website, a nicely appointed place in a nice West End neighborhood close to many obvious tourist and shopping destinations, and with all of the quirks (good and bad) inherent in carving a hotel out of residential townhouses. Friendly staff. Narrow stairways and hallways with cleaning equipment stored in the open hall, apparently for lack of closet space. My 'fancy' room was a third-floor walk-up, fine for me but stairs may be a problem for some. No closet, just one wardrobe that would be inadequate for two people staying more than one night. Wireless internet was reasonably fast. Small but perfectly fine ensuite bathroom. The individual room thermostat was imprecise (to say the least) -- I was constantly opening and closing windows to adjust the temperature, and was woken up in the middle of the night by the hot dry air blasting out of the vent. In fairness, at least they try to give the guest some individual control over the temperature in the room, and HVAC in London generally sucks all around. Most important, the bed was firm and comfortable. I did not have the breakfast, so no comment on that. If you prefer a comfortable boutique hotel to the amenities of a larger full-service hotel, then you will probably like Montagu Place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank alonzogo
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel. We truly appreciate your taking the time to submit the review on Tripadvisor.
Thank you for highlighting the positive and negative aspects of your experience which I found very useful. We do take our guest’s feedback very seriously and based on that we strive to improve the service we provide in our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the imprecise air-conditioning in your room and allow me to inform you that all your comments will be shared with the relevant department.
Once again allow me to thank you for your review which I believe will be useful for other TripAdvisor users and I hope we will be able to welcome you back at Montagu Place Hotel in the near future.
Kind regards
Marta Wasilewska- General Manager

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The whole hotel was furnished exquisitely. It had a modern feel to it, that made one feel instantly cocooned in a relaxed environment that was both sophisticated and effortlessly luxurious. A superb location, a lovely building, a wonderful room with a resplendent selection of teas,coffees, water etc..and too a wonderful selection of magazines. Molton Brown toiletries. Crisp linen sheets, a plentiful supply of good quality towels.
We would like to thank profusely Vladas and Giulia for all their help with regard to all of things and for such a friendly welcome.
When may we move in please???

Room Tip: I would only ever say inquire as to how firm mattresses are. Do they vary from room to room, or b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julietaylor007
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to say that it was great pleasure to have you with us in our hotel. Thank you for choosing Montagu Place Hotel and for taking your time and submitting this supreme review on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased that our location was suitable for you and you liked the amenities like Molton Brown toiletries or magazines we offer in all rooms. Moreover I am proud to read that you enjoyed our decor and you felt here sophisticated and luxury.
Thank you very much for your kind words towards Vladas and Giulia, they are indeed great asset in our team and I am sure they will be thrilled when I share your review with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back in Montagu Place Hotel and if I can ever assist you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Kind regards

Reviewed December 30, 2013

After flying into London from Sydney we arrived well before our check in time for the hotel, not a problem, they let us have a different room to check into at 0600 so we could shower.

Rooms are well appointed with quality toiletries. The hotel is very well decorated and is extremely comfortable. To add to the splendour of the stay the hotel is perfectly situated near to key landmarks and transport routes.

The staff went above and beyond their post to ensure our stay was pleasant and comfortable. I cannot commend them enough.

The Montague Place sets a very high benchmark.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ceej18

Dear Guest,
First and foremost I would like to thank you for choosing Montagu Place Hotel for your stay in London and taking your time and sharing the feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am proud to read that you enjoyed our service. Reviews like yours encourage us to work even harder to develop professional, friendly and knowledgeable service.
I am also very pleased that our location was convenient for you and you find our hotel comfortable with nice décor.
Once again allow me to thank you for sharing your positive experience and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back at Montagu Place Hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

very nice rooms spacious, designed with taste - staff extremely nice and helpful - nice amenities. Nice breakfast
highly recommended
possibly insulation could be improved on the windows (felt a bit cold when next to the windows...)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time and submitting your honest and kind feedback from your last stay in our hotel.
We are proud to read that you find our breakfast nice and you enjoyed our service, décor and amenities therefore we were able to meet your expectation in term of your pleasant stay.
Thank you for choosing Montagu Place Hotel for your stay in London and we do hope we will able to welcome you back.
Marta Wasilewska- General Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Googled hotels near Paddington, on a fleeting visit didn't want big taxi bills, staff couldn't do enough for you all extremely welcoming and nothing was too much trouble, room was Cosy, not very big "fancy" room, Molton brown products in bathroom, nice crisp bedding, a great find, walking distance for Oxford Street, great location, only 1 downside, ONLY continental breakfast, although we were offered eggs??? Boiled, scrambled or fried, so why they couldn't do a full English is beyond me! That wouldn't put me off going back though,there was a bar, but it was just drinks served in the reception area, I'd say a very up market B & B

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
First and foremost I would like to say that it was great pleasure to have your with us at Montagu Place Hotel.
Thank you very much for taking time and shearing you valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am very pleased that you find our staff extremely welcoming and helpful. Moreover it is nice to read that the location of our hotel was convenient and you find our rooms, with Molton Brown products we offer our guests, very cosy and comfortable.
We certainly cannot wait to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Personally I do not like big hotels due to its unnaturally sweet staff and staying there feels like being a part of some factory. That's why I was so delighted when I found this cozy boutique hotel in London. The location is strategically very convenient. Staff, on one hand, is really helpful, attentive and naturally friendly, on the other hand, they respect your privacy. Thus, this hotel played a big part in my overall satisfaction with staying in London. In terms of decor, especially I liked a cozy reception room and the design of rooms. By the way, usually I do not sleep well in hotel beds but at Montagu place it was completely different experience! I had my proper rest. It was marvelous. As I said, I felt almost like at home..
Almost forgot to say that the meal from a local Thai restaurant which you can order in hotel, as they have some kind of cooperation agreement, was delicious and well prepared.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time and sharing this splendid five star review on Tripadvisor.
Your feedback is very valuable for us and I hope it will be helpful for other Tripadvisor users.
We are delighted to hear that our hotel with its convenient location and helpful, attentive staff contributed to your overall satisfaction with your stay in London.
We are proud that our décor made you feel cosy and you had good night sleep. We do our best to make our guests feel comfortable and create the home away from home atmosphere.
I look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel in the near future and if I can ever assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed for 4 days, a few minutes walk to Oxford Street, half an hour stroll takes you to Buckingham Palace. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. This is a delightful small hotel that's well looked after. If you don't like the impersonal, crowded city centre hotels then choose Montagu Place. We don't seek a cooked breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed the leisurely continental breakfast in convivial surroundings. The hotel doesn't provide meals but there's loads of choices close by for dinner. We did eat in one night, courtesy of their relationship with a local Thai restaurant, and that was good value and very enjoyable, eating in the small dining room. It does feel a bit like being a house guest but that's no bad thing. Would I recommend it to friends, most definitely.

Room Tip: Swanky room worth the extra, with a small balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Colin P

Dear Guest,
First and foremost I would like to thank you for choosing Montagu Place Hotel as your place to stay in London and for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
We are very glad that the hotel location was convenient for you and that you find our staff helpful. We do try to create homely atmosphere so our guest could feel comfortable in our hotel.
Thank you for recommending Montagu Place Hotel and we hope to welcome you back at in the near future.