“Boutique. Lovely”

Ranked #35 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Main Beach, Australia
“Boutique. Lovely”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

First time here, and will definitely make it my regular spot in London, provided the word doesn't get out and make it difficult for me to make a booking. Very very helpful staff. No lift, so climbing to third floor was good exercise. Strong and willing ladies carried our suitcases!! Very nicely appointed, good sized swanky room, with a huge bed. Separate shower and bath. Really good, and much more affordable and attentive and quiet than the Churchill up the road. Complimentary internet and water. Churchill take note!!!

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. Swanky rooms at the front of the hotel, higher is quieter. Only three floo...
2 Thank MS49
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking your time and post your precious feedback on TripAdvisor; your feedback is really appreciated.

We are happy to hear our staffs were most attentive and helpful to you and that you found the room well-appointed and in a convenient location.

I certainly look forward to providing you with the same level of service on your next trip and should you require any further assistance from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Arron Dorjbat - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Brussels
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were looking for a place between Baker Street and Marble Arch tube stations and we found this charming hotel. The rooms have a homely feeling, are nicely appointed, fairly large and above all quiet. Definitely the right landing spot in that area of London.
NB: there is no lift.

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your pleasant feedback and for letting us know how much you have enjoyed your accommodation.

We were delighted to read your positive comments on our hotel’s strategic location and facilities. We really appreciate your flattering review and we certainly look forward to be of your service again in the near future.

Birmingham, AL
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel for several days. It is quiet, in a lovely neighborhood, and has an attentive but young staff who were eager to see to our needs. We stayed on the third floor in an adequately sized room that was most comfortable. Breakfast consisted of more than continental with eggs, meat, cereal, coffee/tea, etc brought to our room each day.

There is no lift. Of slight concern is that there also is no fire escape. We found the housekeeping inconsistent and failed to notice smaller details of empty tissue boxes or replenishing water each day.

The reception staff was excellent and helpful.

For the price, location, and if a small hotel is to your liking rather than a hotel like the Intercontinental which is in the midst of all things tourist, this is a great find.

Dear Guest,

Let me first of all thank you for your kind review left on Tripadvisor. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made it special for you. It is also nice to read that the room you stayed in was comfortable and adequately sized.

Thank you for detailing your experience in the way you did, by highlighting the positive and negative aspect of your experience, which is very useful to me.
I want to apologize personally for the experience you encountered about the cleanliness issues during your recent visit. I hope this isolated incidents will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. We do take all guest feedback very seriously as we constantly want to ensure we strive to deliver quality service so all the noted areas have now been shared with the relevant Head of Departments.

Thank you again for choosing Montagu Place Hotel for your stay in London and should you require any further assistance from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a special celebration for my partners birthday, it's a cracking little hotel, in a very central location but situated in a charming and quiet spot. We stayed in the medium room and it was more than adequate for our needs, when booking you are asked to specify if you want either a bath or shower as some rooms don't have both. I didn't bother as I didn't really mind, but on the morning as we were leaving home my partner said she was looking forward to a bath before we hit the town, I called the hotel and they said they would try to arrange it. We arrived after a short (10 minute) walk from Baker Street station, and I was told they could not arrange a bath as the rooms were taken? Although they were extremely apologetic and offered us complimentary glass of champagne. We enjoyed this before heading out although I felt a little guilty as they had done nothing wrong!

I would agree that there is a heck of a climb up to the top floor, it's part of the unspoilt character of the hotel, but if you are not match fit, ask for a lower room on booking.

It is also very easy to climb the wrong set of stairs and spent time fruitlessly trying to access someone else's room, luckily there was no one in!

Breakfast was adequate and cheaper of booked with the room, I'm sure there are other options within a few minutes walk of the hotel, but for convenience it was perfectly acceptable, continental style with none of the often found tubs of dry egg and congealed bacon, but a decent cooked breakfast would have been a nice option.

The staff are particularly attentive and made us feel right at home, especially the charming Enrico who helped us with both the room mix up and the complimentary bubbly.

I will definatly stay here again, a real home from home in the heart do the city

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor of our hotel, it is so good to know that we had made your stay in London both convenient as well as memorable.

We are very fortunate to have a great location in the central of the city. Most importantly, our associates are here to make your experience an unforgettable one. Being referred to as a home away from home is one of the highest compliments we could receive, thank you!

On behalf of Montagu Place Hotel, we cannot wait to welcome you on your next visit.

Warm regards,

Austin
Reviewed May 12, 2013

There were some good things about the Montagu Place hotel, but unfortunately, they missed out on the basics. First, the good. The location is decent and the service at the front desk was exceptional. I talked to 3 different folks and they were all equally nice and accomodating. They also had a cute little bar area which was good for an end of day glass of wine. They also provide free bottled water and team in the room, which was very appreciated. As for the rest of the hotel, you can certainly tell that they tried to look fresh and new, but it just didn't work.

The bad. I was on the 3rd floor, and there is no elevator/lift. Even the front desk person was panting after carrying up my 1 carry on bag up the 3 flights of stairs. When I got to the room, it looked like they were trying to make it contemporary with platinum and plum colors in the room. But if you looked more closely, you would see that it was really just dirty. The walls were scarred and needed a good coat of paint, and worse, the shower (in the VERY small bathroom), was covered in mold. The grout in the bathroom floor tile was also very dirty.

Then I tried to go to sleep, only to find that I could here every door in the hotel being opened and closed. I could also hear the neighbors--the TV, the talking, etc. It was also a warm day in London, and there was no air conditioning. No matter what I did to the thermostat, no air would move. I tried to open the window, but it would only open a few inches, so I got all the noise, but none of the night cool. There was no good night's sleep to be had.

While the service was very good, and I typically rate a hotel on service, the Montagu just missed on too many of the basics for me to recommend it. There are enough options in London that I will not return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Darcy K
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Montagu Place Hotel.

I am glad you found the service of our team 'exceptional' - I will make sure to pass your kind words to them. I am also very disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion due to shortcomings you have experienced during your stay for which I would like to apologise.

Montagu Place has scheduled a soft refurbishment on the number of things that you have rightly noticed and this scheduled to be complete in coming months. I would really appreciate if you could give us another chance once this is complete. If you require any accommodation next time you visit London I would like to welcome you back - please contact me directly on gm@montagu-place.co.uk.

vienna
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Ticked all boxes :
1. perfect check-in - fast and polite, nothing was a problem
2. a good sized room (especially in central LDN!)
3. nice and comfy furniture (if I wouldn't have had a dinner reservation I'd have stayed in my room, with a book & a cocktail or two...)
4. a fluffy bad for a very good night sleep (in spite of all that travelling I still have problems sleeping in hotels, but not in this one...)
5. lovely location (might be a question of taste, but I love Marylebon)
6. between 2 tube stations (Baker str. & Bond Str, but Marble Arch would be o.k. as well)
7. check-out perfect again (lovely Viola !) - got help with luggage, cab, adresses, getting there...

Hope to come back soon !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lin23
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, I am really happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words regarding the team. I will make sure to pass your praises to Viola and to others.

It is always an immense pleasure to receive such wonderful review and I am hoping that when you come back with us we will make your stay even more special and memorable.

Once again, thank you very much.

With warm regards,

Arron Dorjbat - General Manager of Montagu Place Hotel.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Mine was not a recent stay but I had the pleasure of an extended stay a few years ago & still cherish memories. Haven't been back since but from the reviews, the staff & management have kept things up to standard. I had a lovely room on the top & breakfast in the morning was a joy. The location is very centrally located between Baker & Oxford Streets. It was such a pleasure to come home to after a long day. A drink in the "living room" downstairs was my reward! The rates have gone up but if you have the budget, Montagu Place is well worth it.

Room Tip: For peace & quiet the rooms at the top of the hotel facing Montagu Place are best but generally...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your stay at Montagu Place Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff & management members friendly, the room clean, breakfast service ‘a joy’ and the location to your convenience.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and I, together with the entire Montagu Team- genuinely look forward to welcoming you back to London for another great stay.