“Great choice!”

Ranked #35 of 1,067 Hotels in London
New Zealand
“Great choice!”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We were thrilled with this boutique hotel in Marylebone. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly- nothing was too much trouble.The room we found very comfortable , was tastefully decorated and of a good size for London. We found the location very central , quite enjoying the stroll to the undergound stations or wherever we needed to go. It was a superb location for reastaurants with a large selection within easy walking distance. We enjoyed the breakfasts and were very happy with the range of food on offer. The breakfast staff too we found friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kiwisontour
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Dear Kiwisontour,

Thank you for taking time for reviewing our hotel.

Also thank you for the great ratings regarding our team. I will pass on your kind words to the Montagu Place team.

Thank you also for your loyalty and I am personally looking forward to be welcoming you back in our hotel on your next stay with us.

Kind Regards

Michal Michalik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at the Montagu Place for an extended weekend. The staff is very friendly and helpful and always eager to please. But if you want to be left alone, this is also possible. The hotel suffers a little from the standard London hotel flaws: small rooms, not perfectly cleaned (don't look too close at the carpets), stairs could be wider, etc. We found our bed to be too small, but the mattress is comfortable. We were told that the more expensive rooms have larger beds (recommended for people more than 1,8m long).

Our overall impression, however, is that this is indeed a very good hotel, even more so in comparison to many other London hotels. Staff attitude is very good, much better than I have experienced in many places.

The location actually is very convenient, within walking distance of several tube stations (we mainly used Baker Street, but Marylebone, Edgware Road and Marble Arch are within walking distance).
There are several restaurants and pubs in the neighbourhood that serve reasonable food.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms are supposed to have larger beds.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and for your honest feedback on things which we can improve.
I am glad, that you enjoyed your stay with us, and will be looking closely at your feedback in the near future.

Kind Regards

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Due to its location only a short walk from the Baker Street Station (Sherlock Holmes, anyone?), this beautifully decorated boutique hotel is convenient to most London attractions. The room was cozy, clean and well-appointed, the bathroom a bit small but adequate. The hotel does lack an elevator. I did not find this to be a problem, but it could be an issue for someone with ambulation problems. I never ate breakfast at the hotel, but the spread seemed very nice. There is no restaurant on-site, but the hotel has partnered with a nearby Thai restaurant which serves very good and reasonably-priced food. There are also many cafes and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Aside from its elegant and pleasing aesthetic, the other strength of this hotel was its helpful, gracious, pleasant staff and manager; service was excellent.

Room Tip: Those with ambulation problems might want to request a room on a lower level/floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank aslopes
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
Both me and my team are always delighted when we manage to exceed the expectations of our guests.

It will be our honour to have you with us also on your next trip to London.

Malaysia
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I decided to stay at this hotel after many days of researching and reviewing of the various traveler's feedbacks (not only at Tripadvisor but also at other travel websites). This hotel seem to received high recommendation consistently, so I decided to give it a try and I couldn't have made a better decision!

The location - Initially, I was concern about its location (when viewed from google map, it looked a little "remote"), particularly with regards to safety issues (our trip took place just a week after the London riot). But alas, my concerns were all allayed. The hotel is located just 7 - 8 min. from the Baker Street station, which has good links to various parts of the city. It is also only a mere 10 min. walk to Oxford street or 5 - 6 min. walk to the lovely Marylebone High Street. Even though the hotel is located at a very quiet area, the surrounding area is well lit & we felt very safe on a couple of occasions when we walked home from the restaurant or tube station, after 10pm.

The service - One of the best I've ever experienced. Very warm, friendly and responsive staff. There was nothing that they wouldn't do to make our stay a comfortable one - they printed out road maps for us, recommended restaurants, walk down the street to get us the taxi (one needs to walk some distance to get a taxi, as our hotel is not located along a main road, but the hotel staff always managed to find them with little effort though) etc. Only tiny comment is, when I made the reservation, I told them that we were there to celebrate our 11th year wedding anniversary. They took note of it but did not go the extra mile to do anything special for us. It would have made a lot of difference, even if they had given us just a simple welcome & congrats note.

The room - We arrived early on the check-in day (at 10am). Our room was not ready yet (as expected), and we were offered to have some coffee while they get our room ready. But we decided to leave our luggage at the lobby and take a walk along Marylebone High Street. We received a call from the hotel at 11.15am, to inform us that the room was ready! After a long flight, it was good to be able to check in early to freshen up.

As for the room, we stayed at Swanky room, which was the largest room available. The room was located at the top floor (3rd floor). As the hotel doesn't have lift, the climb is not exactly easy. We did not mind as we thought the exercise would be good for us, but I think this can be a deterrent factor for certain guests. I would suggest that you make specific request for lower floor room, if need to. However, the upside of staying at the top floor is - our bathroom comes with sky roof! Is was awesome! The room & the bathroom were large, clean, modern (minimalist style), just like what was shown in the hotel website (as we all know, some hotel's website photos might be deceiving). The bed was very, very comfortable and I rested very well every night. I am a light sleeper and really appreciated the fact that the street was quiet and the rooms have thick wall, so we could hardly hear any noise from neighboring rooms.

However, I did find some very, very minor issues with the room:
1) There are only THREE hooks in the entire bathroom. So, there is not even sufficient "slots" to hang the 2 bathrobes and 2 bath towels. Therefore, my husband and I constantly struggled to find space to put our clothing, face towels etc.

2) There is very limited counter top space. Again, my husband and I faced substantial challenges in finding (dry) space to put our toiletries.

3) the ipod / iphone (?) docking machine didn't seem to work well with my iPhone. Maybe it was meant only for iPod, but it worked on the 1st day, so I don't know why it failed on me later on. I did not bother to complain as it was a small matter for me. It managed to charge my phone though.

If you want a hotel with all the amenities like gym, swimming pool, restaurants etc., then this is not for you. But if you want a value for money, high quality boutique hotel, with a home away from home feel, you have found the right place!

Room Tip: get lower floor room if need to, as this hotel doesn't have lift while the staircase is narrow...
2 Thank Stayoshi
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to hear, that we were able to fulfil your expectations with regards the service, the hotel itself as well as the location of our hotel.

All of the points that you have raised will be reviewed immediately.

We are looking forward your next stay with us.

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We spent 11 nights at this cosy hotel, just like a home, located in a very calm street of Marylebone. The young, helpful, happy and professional staff makes everything even better. Our room, number 23, was the “comfy type”, adequate in size for a couple, well decorated and equiped. The bed was top and the bathroom brand new. The Baker Street tube station is at 8 minutes walk distance. Supermarket, restaurants, cafes, shops, cinema, pubs all around. From Heathrow take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station (20 min) and then a taxi (5 min) to get to Montagu Place. Definitively my place in London.

1 Thank Carlos B
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your recent stay in our hotel, for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor and for all the kind words about us. We are pleased to hear that you value our care of our guest. It will be an honour for us to have you with us again during your next stay in London.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel.

San Francisco
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed in this hotel after moving out of the nearby Thistle Marble Arch (which was a disaster!!) and it proved to be a great choice. Even in the basement level room I found comfort, cleanliness and peacefulness. It is a boutique hotel where they value the customer and are willing to take an extra step to accommodate all your wishes. I can only say good things about it - it is nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. Staff is always nice and ready to help. I was extremely satisfied with the well-equipped room and bathroom with all the amenities I needed. The only inconvenience was that it is about 15 min walking distance from the closest tube station and there are not many restaurants or bars around. Montagu Place is a nice street in quiet residential area hence it lacks in any major nightlife attractions. Having said that, if that does not bother you, you should definitely choose this fantastic hotel!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LW23
Reviewed August 19, 2011

As part of celebrating my husband's 50th birthday we were looking for a small hotel in a great location. The Montagu did not disappoint. The staff were very friendly and flexible and really made our experience feel like a home from home. We booked a swanky room - (room 12) first floor. We had 3 double doors which extended from the bathroom through to the bedroom that led to a small balcony - really beautiful, especially on the morning of our trip where the sun was shining brightly. The bed is enormous and comfortable; all the small touches are taken care of - moulton brown toiletries were appreciated and the bathroom had a great shower and lovely free standing bath. Also the tea and coffee making facilities used high end brands and to have your own cafetiere with freshly ground coffee was a first for me. My only small piece of advice is that the breakfast whilst only £10 is ok but I'd avoid the offer of the eggs - they are only scrambled in the microwave and taste pretty bad - the lady serving looked frightened at the thought of my request for poached eggs, that should have been my hint. Do not let this though put you off - it is well worth a visit.