“Nice Boutique Hotel with Excellent Service”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #57 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Houston, TX
“Nice Boutique Hotel with Excellent Service”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed here the week of the Royal wedding when London was kind of crazy. We had a booking snafu that was mostly my fault, so we ended up 1 night in comfy room with a double bed and 4 in a much more spacious fancy room with a queen bed and 2 large windows facing the street. It's worth the extra money. The manager prides the hotel on its service and he worked hard to accomodate us. He also gave us great reataurant recommendations in the neighborhood. The Polish staff was excellent and very nice and friendly as well. The rooms were nice and modern, but not as luxurious as other 4* hotels where we've stayed. The bathroom was tiny, but we asked for the one with a shower and no tub. The location is quiet, but close to a lot of things. The bus stops about 100 meters from the door and the tube is a 5 minute walk. The hotel will flag a taxi in 5 minutes, easy. Breakfast was very nice and worth the cost to us. Breads, freash fruit, cereals, cold meats and cheeses, juices, coffee & tea plus they will cook eggs to order. If you like small hotels and don't care about the amenities you won't go wrong here. It's not cheap (of course the $ sucks these days) but I think it's reasonable for what you get and the location in London. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GB51
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

We now know your requirements, and I promise no more snafu's in the future.

I will review our room amenities to see if we can add a touch more luxury to the rooms. The Ipod / Iphone docking stations have already been ordered.

Dimitrios Neofitidis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed June 16, 2011

A renovated historical building, this boutique hotel was a real find for us. Situated in lovely Marleybone, the hotel offers luxury comfort and professional service. In particular, both Dimitrius (the manager) and Michael (who worked the desk) provided us with all the amenities and service you would ever want or need. To begin, Michael opened the door when we arrived, took care of our bags, and served us wine at the desk/bar. We had a bad experience at a previous hotel in Paris, so we were struck by the contrast of all this hotel had to offer. Dimitrius couldn't have been more gracious and lovely. Michael was just as accommodating. We felt like we had arrived! We could have stayed longer, engaging in conversation with Michael and Dimitrius. WARMTH may be the best word to describe both of these individuals and the hotel itself. Requesting a cab to take us to the Globe Theater, Dimitrius walked out of the hotel, walked down the street, and hailed us a cab. He had to "ride" with the cab driver back to the hotel to pick us up. Even the cab driver, Tony, was amazed at what a nice guy Dimitrius was. Now how many managers do you know who would go to such lengths -- and that was only the beginning. We highly recommend the Montagu Place Hotel, and we look forward to our return visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade from the
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear DocPat1,

Once again huge thank you for staying with us and your kind words about myself and Michael.

I firmly believe that no duty of service should be above anyone working in hospitality and I am very glad that I had a chance to take care of your personally.

I hope to have the opportunity to do so again in the future.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed here for one night and my only complaint is I wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy our room!
We were exceptionally lucky to be upgraded to a suite and it was stylish and beautifully presented with the most ginourmous bed I have ever seen, huge bath and walk-in shower with lots of hot water and lovely Molten Brown soaps.
The staff were warm and welcoming, but not intrusive and were always on hand to hail a cab or answer questions.
Not a single complaint to be made - I loved our stay the Montagu and hope to return very soon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for such a great review.

I hope that your partners celebration went well and look forward to welcoming you back.

Aachen, Germany
Reviewed June 7, 2011

the perfect boutique hotel in london, conveniently located to both baker street tube and marylebone train station.

as a hiltonhonors gold member i am usually trying to stay in a hilton for free wifi and lounge access. my luck this wasn’t possible the last time i was in london!
the staff are wonderful – i have rarely experienced such attention. when shown to my room, my mobile in my bag gave this ‘my-battery-is-running-on-empty’ whine, and i was immediately asked whether i needed a charger! upon checkout, i was offered tea and coffee while waiting for my transport, and asked for any comments and suggestions for improvement. for the first time in over 20 years of extensive traveling, i had the feeling that here was someone who was genuinely interested in feedback!

liked:
everything: the room, the style, the friendliness of the staff

disliked:
there was absolutely nothing to dislike!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank PushingTheSenses
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

Huge thank you for your kind words.

It is always good to hear that we can compete with Hilton for their loyalty members.

I am very glad and proud that you felt that someone was interested in your feedback for the first time in 20 years.

warwickshire, UK
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed in this hotel last Thursday and I thoroughly recommend it to to anyone. It's very central and yet a reasonably quiet location. The room was especially nice, my thanks to the manager for a great room with a great bath! I found the staff to be extremely polite and that nothing was too much trouble (for any of them).

I had only one minor quibble and that was the lighting in the bedroom and bathroom was a little dim. I did mention it to the lady at the desk and she said that they were planning to improve the lighting in the rooms. When the lighting is improved - then the hotel would be perfect for us stay in London again! And thank you!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jillybeans88
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review and your kind words.

We are most certainly looking at lighting arrangements at the moment, being bright and green at the same time is proving somewhat of a challenge which we hope to overcome in the near future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2011

It's easy to see why this place has so many good reviews and I mainly agree with them. The hotel is in an excellent central position, 10 mins walk from Selfridges or Madam Tussauds for instance. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and I suspect they all work very hard to make the place a success. My room was a 'Fancy' room with a queen size bed. Everything was very clean however the room was small although perfectly well appointed. The shower room was tiny and not particularly well lit. The street at the front of the hotel is quite noisy but I live in the middle of nowhere and may be a bit too sensitive on the subject.. The bottom line is that £180 per night for two people in a comfortable, very clean, room in a central location in London is very good value for money and that's hard to argue with.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank x8mca
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very glad that you have rated my team so highly and we will certainly continue striving to deliver excellent service.

I will ensure that we review the lighting arrangements in the bathrooms as a result of your comments.

lancashire, england
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Stayed for one night at the Montagu Place whilst attending a wedding in oxford circus. This hotel oozes quality throughout, every amenity is of a very high standard. Most of all the service from the hotel personnel was impeccable and their helpfulness seemed very genuine. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hanif
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Dimitrios