“Perfect Hotel!!!”

Ranked #30 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Zurich, Switzerland
“Perfect Hotel!!!”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

In London it's not easy to find a hotel which is ideally located, has a friendly staff, has great and spacious rooms and (very important) is affordable. Most of the time you'll find yourself in a hotel, that is just ok but you'd rather not stay longer than needed and moreover you pay more than it's worth.

If you're looking for an amazing, gorgeous and stylish boutique hotel with a great price-value and a lovely and very helpful staff then it's definitely The Montague Place Hotel you should stay at on your next London trip.

The perfect hotel:
Until now we've stayed two times at the Montagu Place Hotel, once in July last year (for five nights) and a second time just a couple of days ago (from March 16th to March 19th, 2010) after our trip to Barbados. We found this gorgeous hotel thanks to Google and Tripadvisor and we don't have to look any further for another hotel. We've found the perfect hotel and to us it is 100% sure that whenever we'll stay in London on a private basis we'll stay at the Montague Place Hotel. (Unfortunately our employers do book different hotels for the business trips, so we won't be able at the Montagu Place Hotel for business trips :-(!!).

The room:
As you all might be aware, there are three different kind of room type at Montague, the Comfy, the Fancy and the Swanky rooms. On our first time we chose the Fancy and our second time the Swanky room. We were pleased with both rooms. The only difference between the two room types is the slightly higher price for the Swanky room, the size of the room itself, the bed such as the bathroom/toilet. I must admit we both loved the bathroom in the swanky room! Spacious and very bright plus some nice Molton Brown toiletries (in the other rooms as well). As for the bed, it's just amazing how comfortable a hotel bed can be!!! We had a great and comfortable night-sleep.

Breakfast:
The breakfast is being served in a nice room next to the lobby. You'll get fresh eggs every morning (scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fried eggs etc. as you wish) such as coffee, tea, cereals, yoghurt, fruits, water, fresh juices, cheese and cold meat. It's not a luxury breakfast buffet with caviar and salmon but it's perfect. You don't need more on a morning when you afterwards want to discover the town. The quality of the food is very good and fresh! Nothing to add on this. We both always looked forward to the breakfast.

On a regularly basis there are magazines being delivered to your room such as Cosmopolitan, Elle, The Economist, London Out etc. You can also keep them and read them when you're on your way back home on the airplane.
You've got free internet within the whole hotel. You'll get provided with a code for the WLAN and can use the internet as long as you'd like to for the whole length of your stay.
Everything in the room is free. There is no minibar in the room but you've got a fridge and you can buy drinks yourself and put it in there. There are water bottles in the room and the equipment to make yourself a tea or a coffee, such as fruits and cookies. All of it is free. When you feel very thirsty the kind hotel employees will provide you with more of it.

Location:
The hotel is very well located in the area Marleybone. If you come from the airport, the best way to get there is taking the Heathrow express to Paddington and from there a taxi will take you to the hotel within less than 10 minutes. If you arrive at Gatwick, you'll take the Gatwick express until Victoria station and from there you can take a taxi to the hotel which will take you around 15 minutes (with traffic) to the hotel.
The hotel is within walking distance to the Paddington station (around 15 to 20 minutes) and from the Baker Street tube station (5 minutes) and from the Marelybone tube station. You can also walk to the Oxford street within 10 minutes. Although the hotel is very central it's situated in a residential area aside a very nice little park. At night it's not at all loud.

Outstanding service:
The reason, next to the design of the hotel, the rooms and the location, is the outstanding service of the friendly people working at Montague Place. We've never stayed at a Hotel which such a friendly service so far (we've stayed at very expensive hotels where the service was really poor...)!!! It's just amazing!!! The persons working there treat you like friends and are very obliging, friendly, funny, polite and have all the great characteristics you could think of. Some examples:

I ordered a clothing item from at home in Switzerland which could only be sent to the UK therefore I asked them whether I could let it send to the hotel and if they then could take care of this item upon my arrival. They told me it would be no problem at all and therefore kept it during 3 weeks in their hotels and when I arrived they just handed it over to me without me even asking for it.

Coming from Barbados we arrived very early at the Montagu Place Hotel (around 7.45 in the morning). We were kindly offered some tea and coffee and stayed for a while in the lobby. Went to the bathroom to refresh ourselves a bit after the journey. At 9 o'clock in the morning (!!!) - we were just about to leave for breakfast and wanted to leave the baggage at the reception - we were told the room has now been cleaned already so that we could already move in. We were really positively surprised that someone cleaned it so quickly and we could go to our room already at 9 o'clock in the morning.

On our last night I did the web-checkin and as we didn't have printer with us I e-mailed our e-tickets to the reception asking wether they could print it out and hold it ready upon our departure the other morning. After 2 minutes I had an e-mail in my inbox telling me, that the tickets were print out and being brought to my room immediately. What a great service.

Every time you passed the reception the staff was smiling at you (a warm smile and no fake smile) and the chatted with you. Very nice. You always felt like coming home and not like coming to an anonymous place.

On our last time when we needed a taxi someone even went outside and to the street and called us a taxi. Very kind.

Price-value:
The price you pay for the Montagu Place Hotel is not cheap but it's 100% worth it's money!!! Quality never is free of charge ;-)!!! But we don't wanna say that it's expensive. It's just perfect price-value. But don't expect it to be cheap. But I guess by reading the above review you'll notice as well the the boutique hotel is a jewel in the big city of London!!!

To sum up, we are very very happy that we found that hotel in July last year. We found the perfect location to stay at and we'll never ever look for something else when we come to London. It's of none importance wether you're old or young, a couple or two friends, business travelers or on a private journey --> Montague Place Hotel will please all of you, but only if you look for something special, with overwhelming staff etc.

Thank again to the staff of Montagu Place Hotel for our amazing London experience we could live thanks to you!!!

See you very soon

Renate and Rafael

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Dear Ms. Renate and Mr. Rafael,

Huge thank you from me and my team for your kind words.

They reminded us why we all wanted to work in hospitality in the first place.

I hope that you will enjoy your vacation and I look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Dimitrios Neofitidis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Littlehampton, West Sussex, England
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Comfortable beds, quiet rooms and excellent location. Staff friendly and considerate.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

There is an old hospitality saying: its easy to be nice to nice people.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Berkshire, UK
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Chose this hotel based on TA. Its always difficult to find a good hotel in London at a price that isn't too frightening. This hits the spot and is better than the chain hotels at a similar or more expensive rate. Nicely designed, quiet which is a bonus, clean, modern and lovely Molten Brown toiletries. Friendly staff although we didn't need anything. I would not hesitate to use again, and easy to book on line.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and kind words about my staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Spent two nights at Montagu Place in early February 2011, having spent much time browsing the reviews here on Tripadvisor. Once again, they didn't let me down!

The greeting on arrival was warm and friendly and I was given a choice of room (I'd booked a "comfy" room, which has a double 4'6" bed) and shown how everything (heating, etc) worked. Bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean and freshly styled. Nice touches: complimentary bottled water, cafetiere coffee and choice of teas in the bedroom, plus Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom. Great to have a proper hairdryer!

I moved rooms the 2nd night of my stay, as I was unexpectedly joined by an elderly relative, and the only room left was on the 4th (top) floor - 65 steps up. Yes, I actually counted them! Note that because the hotel is in a listed building, there is no lift so if you have problems climbing stairs, ask for a room on a lower floor. My "swanky" room on the 2nd night was gorgeous! Very spacious, with a beautiful bathroom and deluxe range of Molton Brown toiletries. I only wish I'd had more time to enjoy the room.

Location is good: 10 minutes walk (maximum) from Oxford Street, but in a relatively quiet area within walking distance also of Marylebone High Street. I did have to explain to three taxi drivers exactly where the hotel was located as they hadn't heard of it, so I recommend you print out the map that comes with the email confirmation from the hotel, or, tell them to drive north out of Portman Square onto Gloucester Place and take 2nd left turn at traffic lights onto Montagu Place. Hotel is just on the right!

Price is very good for a central London Hotel, and I'm sure I'll be staying at Montagu Place again.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Sarnia G
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review and your kind words.

I am very proud that we managed to deserve such a high rating from one of the Tripadvisor Destination Experts.

I look forward to welcoming you back and please do let me know if I can be of any further help in the future.

Birmingham, UK
Reviewed February 8, 2011

A lovely and smart little hotel in a nice part of London. Stylishly furnished and immaculately kept, one of the biggest selling points of the hotel is the great service you get from the exceptionally friendly staff. We were given complimentary coffee - without even asking for it! - as we used our laptops (free wifi!) in the very comfortable lounge.

The rooms are great - we were in a very spacious ground floor room. The area is nice and quiet, just off the main road, so it's very quiet and you get a good night's sleep. The bath was a little small, but this didn't matter as the shower was great. What we loved were the special little extra touches, like Molton Brown toiletries in the bathrooms - a real treat.

We enjoyed a fantastic meal from room service - the hotel has partnered up with a local Thai restaurant to offer hot food, and this was just delicious. And again, the service was absolutely excellent - meal brought to our room within 20 minutes of ordering.

Oxford Street and all of its shops are just a 10 minute walk round the corner and straight down the road. With Baker Street and Marylebone Tube Stations very close by, the whole of London is really accessible from this hotel too.

Would definitely return in future - highly recommended for an extra special stay in London.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 31, 2011

With all of these great reviews, I really wanted to adore this hotel. Maybe my expectations were a little out of line because for the price, this really is a great hotel in comparison to a lot of other hotels in London. I just want to give an honest review, so you can know what to expect.

Room: We stayed in room 21- a "Comfy" room (the smallest of the 3 types) with a double bed and shower. It is to my knowledge that not all rooms come with a shower..some come with only a bathtub (so make sure you request). Modern furnishings were nice, but the room was very cramped with a huge, bulky desk smashed up next to the bed. Carpet was looking a little worn and I would have much prefered hard wood flooring for a more modern feel. Floor was very uneven that I thought maybe I had too much to drink. LOL. But some people might consider that charming! The room is starting to look worn and could probably use a coat of fresh paint (luggage marks on the wall). I noticed some grime in the crevices of the bathroom floor near the shower, which was a little disappointing. We did enjoy the luxury toiletries. The TV was a small, flat screen with few channels. We did appreciate that it was a very quiet room, and we heard no noise from adjacent rooms or from the street. But, we slept poorly because the bed was small and hard. I never get back aches from sleeping, but I did for the 2 nights we were here. If we stay here again, I would upgrade to a bigger room, and hopefully it comes with a bigger bed!

Service: We were welcomed promptly and our room was ready before the standard check in time, which was very nice. The staff was polite and friendly but not intrusive. If you are curious about something, ask them and they will be more than willing to help. We got a great restaurant recommendation (Hunter 486 at the Arch Hotel). We chose not to eat breakfast at the hotel and that was just fine, due to all of the options just a short walk away.

Amenities: Free Wi-Fi was great! We wish they would have had a gym, but apparently they give out gym passes to a place which is within walking distance.

Location: Loved the location in a quiet, safe neighborhood within short walking distance to the underground.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GinNorway
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Dear Ms. ..........,

Thank you very much for your review and your time on the phone a little bit earlier letting me know a few more details about your stay.

I am once again very sorry that we did not manage to exceed your expectations on this occasion.

As we discussed I look forward to welcoming you back personally next time.

Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed December 14, 2010

This hotel is so perfect. We arrived 9th Dec, and checked out 12th Dec. Perfect accommodations for a couple to spend their holiday in London. Breakfast is not superior, but with cheese, ham, fresh bakery and fruits its all you need. They will also make you scrambled or boiled egg.

Rooms were nice, clean and very quiet.. 2 minutes walk distance from the bus, and a short 10 min walk from Oxford street.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple