“The room with 18 noisy/creaky beds!”

Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage
Ranked #19 of 909 Specialty Lodging in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The hostel itself is great and kitted out leather sofas, a bar and restaurant. breakfast isnt bad either. Another rarity for a hostel was CAR PARKING! that was an absolutely god send.

However I stayed in a 18 bedroom Dorm that the Palmers Lodge has to offer! where the floor boards creak below your feet and above your head. Then the next disappoint the mattresses were so hard that i could only sleep for 2 hours at a time to the point where i woke up the following day stiff and completely restless!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed January 24, 2014

If you are coming for a quick trip to London, the place is definitively the right one for you. There are two tube stations in less than a 5 minute walk, also if you are coming from Luton or Stansted airport (budget travelers usually do), the coaches will leave you in one of these two stations. You can reach the Green Park Station (Buckingham Palace) in 10 minutes.
Staff is the greatest asset: they are helpful, multilingual, nice and cheery. Also good value for money!

Only disadvantage: VERY small room. I guess one can't expect a lot considering it is London...

Room Tip: Even if you book a private ensuite room, it is most likely not what you and your significant other w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Me and my friends stayed here for a couple of nights over a weekend. We enjoyed our stay very much as the staff were both friendly and helpful at all times, apart from the cleaners who like to stick to their schedule for cleaning toilets/bathrooms. It was also very quiet for a busy hostel.

When we arrived early the staff let us drop off our bags in a locked shed.

As the room we chose wasn't a private room we had a spare bed and it was filled with a stranger who liked to keep himself to himself, both nights of our stay. The room was spacious and clean.

The only issue I think any of us had with the Palmers Lodge was the location. It's not in the centre of London which means having to get the tube every time, but it probably took no longer than 20 minutes to get from our rooms to where we wanted to go.

Overall I probably would stay here again, if it was with a group of friends and all we needed was a bed and shower.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with a group of 5 friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Never been in hostels before, what a mistake.
I have met a lot of people from all over Europe. The hostel bar is amazing, nice and relaxed atmosphere. The reception staff is very friendly. I have found the hostel clean at all time, nice that you can close the shower. I will definitely go back to Swiss cottage next time in London.
Free breakfast and free internet. All it`s a plus.

Room Tip: I was in the room 003, very spacious and quite.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Antonio C, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Hi !

Thank you for your comment!

We are really glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Palmers Lodge!

Please come back soon

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed here for 8 nights in an 18 bed mixed dorm. The building is amazing with lots of charm. The room felt very spacious, and the curtains provided privacy for the bed which I liked. Staff were friendly and the other guests were nice. Close to transport, both buses and underground. I would highly recommend this hostel when visiting London. It may be a bit more expensive than others, but from experience it is very much worth it!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Rdeverett

Hi there and thank you for your nice review!

We are glad to hear that you had a good stay in our hostel.

Hope you come back soon!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is a great hostel. They have a amazing infrastructure. The rooms are very confortable. The breaksfast is amazing. They also offers meals for a reasonable price. It is a little far from the city centre but it's pretty close to a metro station so it wasn't a real problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there !

Thank you for your comment.

We are happy to hear you had a great experience with us.

Hope to see you staying with us again.

Best Regards

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have stayed here before and been very happy. This time I splashed out on booking a double bedded room, with en suite, for myself. For the price - and I know it was New Year's Eve - it was a bit disappointing. Smallish double bed - good thing it was only me. Quite noisy when I went to bed - 2am - but as it was NYE and I was tired it wasn't that bad. What was annoying though was the early morning noise - restocking the bar which was not many feet from my head. The room was small and the wooden frame of the bed quite near the door to the bathroom - I managed to hit my leg on it hard. I still love the hostel and will stay again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Nico C, Director of Sales at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Hi there and thank you for your review,

We're sorry that you didn't have the best experience this time. Hopefully the next time will be much better. And as always, we will try to improve and bring you the best possible service.

Kind regards