“Not so good this time”

Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage
Ranked #17 of 956 Specialty Lodging in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have stayed here before and been very happy. This time I splashed out on booking a double bedded room, with en suite, for myself. For the price - and I know it was New Year's Eve - it was a bit disappointing. Smallish double bed - good thing it was only me. Quite noisy when I went to bed - 2am - but as it was NYE and I was tired it wasn't that bad. What was annoying though was the early morning noise - restocking the bar which was not many feet from my head. The room was small and the wooden frame of the bed quite near the door to the bathroom - I managed to hit my leg on it hard. I still love the hostel and will stay again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Nico C, Director of Sales at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Hi there and thank you for your review,

We're sorry that you didn't have the best experience this time. Hopefully the next time will be much better. And as always, we will try to improve and bring you the best possible service.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,496)

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

This was my first hostel experience so I can't compare it to anything.

However, the place was always clean even on Christmas Day. The staff were friendly. The beds have curtains around them for privacy and there are lights inside the beds so you can read at night.

There is a car park which was very handy and it was free.

Breakfast is included but it's just one croissant, cereal or toast. This is an ideal place for a short stay.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed January 5, 2014

at RM70 per night per person in London on weekends, it is a budget stay.. near to tube station which come in handy to travel into the city via jubilee line... have chinese food and mcdonalds nearby... also iceland for groceries... but a hostel too crowded and remember to bring padlock for lockers

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The bed is comfortable. The interior is charming (the sometimes creaky floorboards somehow added to the charm). The common room is cozy. Location is excellent! Only a nice short walk away from the Tube. There are grocery shops, restaurants, post office and bakery nearby.
The only downside will be the breakfast, not many choices..I got tired of it after day 2.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Antonio C, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Hello,

Thank your for your comment.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here in Palmers Lodge!

We are constantly trying to improve and bring a better service so we took your review in consideration.

Hope to see you soon,

Best Regards

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a great hostel. Excellent location, right by the tube, quiet, clean, lots of bathrooms, good sized rooms with massive lockers, curtains and reading lights for every bed. The only downside was the lack of a kitchen. There was a jug for boiling water, toaster, fridge and toasting machine to use but that's all. Breakfast was good though. There's a massive Sainsburys about ten minutes walk away and a Waitrose and Iceland nearby.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 14 bed female and a 12 bed female. Both were great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2013

What a great find this place is.

The location is rather marvellous, only a 2-minute walk to Swiss Cottage tube station and in the wonderful Camden burrough, We wanted to go to Camden Lock and decided to walk and were so glad we did - it's a wonderful, quiet and atmospheric neighbourhood. Walking the other way, at just a few minutes' distance, there is a supermarket, Starbucks, etc. - but the lodge is on a relatively quiet sidestreet of the busy street those shops are on.

The building itself is very unusual. It has a great history and it's one of those buildings you're so pleased to see saved instead of demolished. it's very atmospheric, it has a sort of Harry Potter feel to it, you half expect Dobby to appear as you look down the staircase.

The atmosphere is cosy and informal, with music playing, easy-going staff and guests in their pj's or trainers at their laptops.

The reception desk basically has it all (it greatly surpasses the amenities of your average luxury hotel), with the ability to book tours, purchase tube tickets, a long shelf with travel books about London, complimentary maps, cab service, souvenirs, international conversion plugs, etc.

Even though it's essentially a hostel, it also offers private rooms with double or twin beds, which is what we chose. Because of the rate (we paid GBP 69 a night), we knew we should not expect what we usually expect from a hotel room. The private rooms are small and have the same beds as the other rooms have (we had a bunk), i.e. very sturdy but simple, with thin matresses basically meaning a very hard surface, causing quite some backaches (but hey, we're almost 40, I'm sure that has something to do with it, haha). The bathroom is one of those tiny prefab cabins you find on boats. My husband is 2m tall, meaning he could not sit on the toilet with the bathroom door closed. Because the batroom is elevated, this means that a tall person cannot stand up straight. When we came in, we noticed that the shower was broken (it wouldn't stay up), this was fixed very quickly. The covers are simple comforters, which is fine, but those aren't as easily cleaned as blankets, meaning I found quite a few long hairs (definitely not ours) which gave me a shudder. The towels are thin and frayed. I know this description might sound horrible, but it's more an honest description to ensure people have the right expectations - except for the hairs, it all made us smile, because these are the things you wouldn't except/accept at a luxury hotel but are expected and quaint and sometimes even funny when you book a ho(s)tel like this.

Breakfast is included, but expect a very simple one: coffee/tea, juice, cereal, toast and spreads. If you want fruit or cheese, you pay a couple of pounds extra. Even with paying extra, don't expect full continental or full English - that is not available. But, for the average hostel traveller, the breakfast options provided are more than enough to start your day.

Please note that my 'poor' ratings for the room and sleep quality are relative: for the price, it's rather good. See description above.

Short version: great value for money, but because of that, manage your own expectations and I'm sure you'll find the place rather wonderful.

Room Tip: Make sure you read all room descriptions carefully - they have many different kinds and sizes availa...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChantalvanderEnde
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Well, giving it 5 stars doesn't mean that this place was totally perfect. But I do enjoy my stay in this place.
I was staying about 5 nights. Good bed, shower and toilet were well cleaned, nice staffs (though they put me in the wrong bed at my 1st day, so I must repack my stuffs from the locker and move them into the other locker. But that's fine. They did it in a polite way, and I can tolerate that)
Breakfast was amazing.
plenty of plugs in the room, which means nice. But as a person who lives in tropical area, for me the room was really cold... but I think it's not a big problem. If you came from a tropical area and came to london at winter or autumn, of course you have to prepare yourself.
internet connection was ok for me. I will stay in here again while I come back to london. :)

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends