“Enjoyed my stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I had a very nice stay at Palmer's - good breakfast, quiet (when I was there), great building, nice privacy with the curtains, centrally located. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Nico C, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Hi there and thank you for your kind words.

It makes us very happy to hear that you have s nice stay with us.
We hope to see you with us soon!

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was very surprised by the cleanliness and roominess of the hostel and its rooms. I have stayed in hostels before, and expected Palmer's Lodge to be similar. I loved the building and the attention to detail. The common room and free wi-fi was great as well. It was a wonderful place to go and chill after a long day of walking. It also gave us an opportunity to meet fellow travellers and make connections. The rooms were great, I love that the bed were three walled, and that there was a curtain. Lots of privacy, and the beds were very comfortable. The staff were incredibly friendly, and allowed us to keep our pack at the hostel after we had checked out. Fantastic neighborhood in Camden, and right by a metro stop. I would recommed Palmer's Lodge to anyone staying in London.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Titus W, General Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, hope you come back soon!

Thanks!
Ocean Grove, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Living just south of London I needed to be at work in Camden Town at 7:30am one morning so decided to stay at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage instead of getting on a train at 5am. I'm usually not a hostel person however Palmers Lodge was very clean and quiet. I stayed in B08 female dorm and it was clean the bunks are made on your arrival so you don't have to try to make your bed with others sleeping around you. The privacy curtains are great and the bunks do have a personal reading light in them so you don't bother the whole room (mine was either pulled out by the person below or the globe had gone I mentioned it to the lady checking out and she said she would be on top of it before the next person stayed) . Showers are on 30 second timers to save water which is a little annoying but you deal with it. Over all happy with the nights stay and had a nice chat with other travelers in the room by the bar. Staff were friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi, glad to pleasantly surprise you and that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Well, I guess I will be the grumpy traveler who has to throw the wrench into the rave reviews. Like what others said, I did a fair amount of research in Palmers Lodge before booking 5 nights after reading the rave reviews. So right to the point, here are the Pros and Cons

PROS:
-Great price
-Reasonable location from Central London
-Yummy free breakfast
-Free Wifi

CONS:
-Too many people at any given time (at least when I came in the month of October) causing loud environment and squished walking space
-Lack of number of sinks for so many people
-Smelly rooms that reminded me of my old gym locker...ugh
-Teenagers constantly running around and making noise at night

As you can see, my major gripe was the amount of people funneling into the hostel day in and day out. Everyday, there would always be 2 to 3 buses full of teenagers being shuffled into the hostel. I always had to make sure to get my breakfast early or leave the hostel during the afternoon because that's when the kids either left during checkout or came in during check in.

The bathrooms were always full of people in peak times meaning you would have to find other places to go and if you didn't have a computer, good luck. Think about sharing 3 computers with 15+ teenagers crammed in one room at any given time - not fun.

The worst part though was during the night time. Of all the nights I stayed there, I never had ONE good night sleep. It would either be the teenagers slamming stuff on the ceiling, or my neighbors snoring all over the place (which can't be helped I must admit), to even worst construction work being down outside in the early morning.

Palmers Lodge IS a good hostel if they could simply limit the amount of people that crowds the hallways, bathroom, and lounge, during peak hours. The location is fine, the pricing is just right, and the food and bar is a gem. Maybe they became too popular for their own good and couldn't hold so many people.

I really wanted to give this place a good review, but in the end, it's all about the user's "enjoyability" during his stay...and I never had ONE good night sleep. Case closed.

1 Thank Ben q
Hello
Thanks for your review, we do sometimes have to run a fine line between school groups and regular guests, especially during September, October, March and April. We do have 24 hour staff and take damage/noise deposits from the groups so that if anyone complains and wants to be moved we deduct it from their deposit. We are looking at reducing the number of groups we're taking in the future dramatically however.

As for sinks we are slightly limited by the building in what we can do as it's Grade 2 listed both inside and out, meaning we can't touch the floors or the walls in most rooms. So it's tricky to add more bathrooms, sinks and showers. We are planning on building a small annex soon which will add another 5 showers and 6 toilets.

As for the smell, we are planning on quick refurbishments in the rooms over this winter but sadly some peoples feet are just a bit smelly.

Should you ever want to stay with us again please get in contact and we can arrange some small discount/free drink :)

Lucan, Ireland
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Spent two nights at this hostel.. The staff were warm and friendly when I arrived at 2:30 (thx to Ryanair). The room are a nice size and the curtain on the bunks give a little privacy..The gaps to get into the top bunks are a little narrow but that's not a big deal. The location is two minutes from Swiss Cottages Tube station which is convenient for those going by public transport...which takes only one train change after you arrive on Stansted Express at Liverpool Street.

Room Tip: Wider gaps required in top bunks is my only qualm
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hey there, sorry to hear about your Ryan Air problems. Glad we were there to make you feel at home. Hope you can come back soon!

Thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at Palmers Lodge for 3 nights. The hostel is located in a very posh neighbourhood, Swiss Cottage. It is also in a central location, on the Jubilee line which gets you into central London in 15 minutes. The building is an old Victoria building, but, it is quite modern inside. The place is very clean. The hostel offers free breakfast with a wide selection to choose from, juices, breads, pastry, coffees, teas etc. The breakfast is delicious. The staff are friendly and efficient. There is a louge equipped with computers and a huge flat screen TV which makes it a nice, comfortable place to hangout. The rooms are spacious and clean. Each bed is equipped with a lamp and electrical outlets. At Palmers Lodge you get value for your money; I highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much, please come back sometime!
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at Palmers Lodge for 2 nights in August. Stayed in female room with 12 beds. This was my first stay in a shared room and I would say everything was really nice. Room and showers were clean, breakfast was great (I don't know what people could complain about, it is a hostel after all), staff was helpful, hostel is close to subway station, in a seemingly safe part of a town. My room was opposite the canteen, but I didn't hear any noise at night. Also I think I was lucky to get good roommates: there were no snoring, noise or door slamming.
I will definately stay here in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you kindly, we're looking forward to your return :)

Thanks again