“Great place”

Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage
Ranked #20 of 923 Specialty Lodging in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was my first hostel experience and overall I was very pleased. My friend and I stayed in our own room which cost a little more but after hearing some stories from the larger dorms, was definately the best option. The place is really well located, supermarkets are close by and only a 5 minute walk to the train stations. Bathroom facilities werent the best, not enough wash basins and some mornings the bathrooms were closed for a good half hour for cleaning which was never done at the time it was said it would be for our entire stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Rebecca

Thank you for your positive review. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at Palmers Lodge. You certainly made the right decision by choosing to stay in a private room as your first experience in a hostel. We have taken on board your comment about cleaning times with the relevant staff so we can stop this from happening in the future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage while down in London on a work experience placement at Gay Times Magazine. I needed somewhere cheap to stay for five nights and opted for this hostel, which for £81.00 for a 12 bed dorm was not bad at all. It's the first hostel I've stayed in and has definitely made me see hostels in a different light - not like the scruffy, cheap hell-holes people make them out to be.

There were downfalls, of course - for the price, you can't expect the place to be perfect, however, I'll try and be as truthful as pos!

The staff: I found the staff on the front desk quite monotonous - it was more of a 'here's your keys, that way' kinda approach. Didn't really bother me but a hello or a smile would have been nice when you came in after a hard day's work! The staff in the bar and restaurant are lovely, however. I can't for the life of me remember the girl behind the bar's name but she was so nice.

The building: Beautiful, archaic building, historic staircases - place was full of character.

The location: Absolutely fantastic. I got the C11 bus to work every day for £2.30 there and £2.30 back - not too bad. Transport links into central London are fantastic - just a stone throw away from Finchley Road tube station!

The room: If you don't mind top bunks it's fine, but for me it was a pain in the butt - I'd ring up in advance before you stay and see if you can reserve a bottom bunk. I felt like I was annoying the girl below me every time I had to clamber down the ladders to get to my drawer underneath (which may I also add was very shallow and can't fit a case in, so if you have a hard case you need to buy a pass for £5.00 to keep it in the lockers outside the room). I had to be up early at 7:30am every morning and used the hairdryer in the bathroom (which are great, by the way - no problem with them), but do be aware some girls will just switch the hairdryer on at 5 in the morning in the room - not good really! The showers are brill though, really powerful and hot. I found my shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower one night when I'd left them near my bed, though - doesn't bother me if someone was desperate to use it but I'd advise others to keep their stuff in their drawers or cases. The hostel does need to improve on the amount of sockets they have in there though. I had to leave my phone at the bottom of someone else's bed, about 6ft away from my bed, as there was no power socket to charge my phone overnight because I was on the top bunk - not impressed with this, this shouldn't really have to happen. However, despite all that - I'd stay again, providing I was in a bottom bunk!

The food: Absolutely incredible. Best carbonara I've ever tasted - for a measly £4.99. I couldn't believe it, biggest portion ever as well.

The bar: Brilliant atmosphere. Fab people - met people from all over the world.

I don't think there's anything I've missed...

Overall, I'll give the hostel an average rating just because of my room experience involving power sockets, some staff were a bit dull etc...

It's a great place though. :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Rachael

Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are very glad to learn that you had a pleasant stay at our Hostel. As for your comment on the number of plugs in the dorm you stayed; this is something we are already offering in some rooms and have schedule to offer throughout the hostel by summer 2013. If you wish to come back and stay with us before these deadline, simply email us before your arrival and we will make sure you will be allocated in a dorm has already been refitted with extra plugs.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Staying in this hostel is brilliant. If you are travelling alone, backpacking, or not to bothered by massive dormitories, this is the place to stay. I stayed in the biggest dorm, and the layout was magnificent. It was similar to a log cabin in the Alps, and the setting in an old country house was magnificent. All beds were bunked, with lockable cabinets below. Comfortable beds, with good sheets and bedding, a curtain to hide away, a lamp and two plugs.
The services was exactly what you expect in a good hostel. Friendly, efficient, but not caring to the point of irritation. Check in was quick and easy, and I arrived back about 2am, having no issues with getting back in. Free tea coffee and biscuits help for a hangover morning if you have one, and the bar was at a good standard. I din't try the food, but I have seen bad reviews about it. I say, if you want good food, don't eat at any hostel!
I stayed two nights (Fri & Sat) and it cost me £36. Brilliant value. The location isn't amazing, but easily accessible by tube (less that two minutes walk away from Swiss Cottage station).
I thoroughly recommend this hostel to anyone and everyone, and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear RChruch26

Many thanks for your enthusiastic review. We are delighted to learn that we surpassed all your expectations. I would invite you to try our evening meals the next time you stay with us so you can see for yourself, we offer really good value for the area but furthermore our “Carbonara” is truly exceptional!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hostel has got a good value for budget travellers but lack of mirrors and basins for washing a face and brushing teeth.Usually I used Finchley Road station because Sainsbury's is near by and it is convenient for budget travellers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Nyan-nyan-cyan

Many thanks for your sincere feedback. We are very glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hostel; we will put your request for more mirrors on the list for next year’s improvements to the hostel.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage for four days. From our first impression we loved the place, it's very clean, the staff are friendly and the rooms are great value as well as having style and personality. We stayed in their biggest mixed dorm but because of the layout it was almost like having a private room. They provide lockable draws underneath the beds of a decent size, not big enough for a large suitcase but I managed to fit most of the contents of mine in it. There are also camera/laptop safes in the reception and lockable charging cupboards for your phone in the hallways. There is also parking for cars, vans and bikes at no extra cost. Half decent wifi, takes for ever to upload photos but useable for Facebook and travel sights etc.

While everything else was great, definitely a hostel go hungry. If you are even one minute late for breakfast you can't access their "kitchen" until after 1pm. So if you're a traveller like us and can't afford to go to a restaurant/cafe for every meal you simply have to go hungry. Their kitchen facilities also only consist of a microwave, kettle and sandwich press. Their one fridge is so overflowing you couldn't even fit a stick of butter in there, never mind my carton of lactose free milk which is essential to my health.

Great hostel over all, best we've been in so far, but their catering for food is pathetic. I would suggest this hostel for everything else, not if you are on a budget when it comes to food. It is also almost IMPOSSIBLE to get to the hostel after 11pm when the Underground has closed. Night buses do not run on this road and IF you manage to find one that goes in the right direction it drops you off on the other side of town.

Room Tip: We stayed in the biggest dorm straight off reception and it was a great room. You heard no noise fro...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Amy

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to read that you loved the place and that pretty much everything exceeded your expectations; you will be happy to learn that we have scheduled work for a full guest kitchen which will be fully finished by early 2013. Hopefully you will be able to come back and let us know your thoughts.

Best regards

Reviewed November 11, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Over the years I have spent many visits to London in various hostels throughout the capital, some good, some bad. But Palmers Lodge really surprised me and my friends.
We booked it mainly because we drove and they offered free parking, a massive bonus in London!
We arrived shortly before the due check in time but the staff were happy to get us booked in and off we went for the rest of the day. The whole of our short stay was perfect, the beds were solid (by solid I mean they didn't creak when you climbed onto the top bunk or when you turned over in your sleep). The place is very clean and on the morning I saw constant cleaning (always a good sign as it kept the place spotless).
Everyone else staying there seemed to be travelling and well travelled which helped to add to the atmosphere to this place.

I will definitely stay again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BriFantana
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Fantana75

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We are very pleased to read that you and your friends were pleasantly surprised at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage -it sounds like you have a lot of experience when it comes to staying in hostels. Please drop us a line if you are planning to come back soon, we will do our best to upgrade your accommodation where possible.