“Deserve to stay”

Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage
Ranked #17 of 956 Specialty Lodging in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hostel has got a good value for budget travellers but lack of mirrors and basins for washing a face and brushing teeth.Usually I used Finchley Road station because Sainsbury's is near by and it is convenient for budget travellers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Nyan-nyan-cyan

Many thanks for your sincere feedback. We are very glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hostel; we will put your request for more mirrors on the list for next year’s improvements to the hostel.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage for four days. From our first impression we loved the place, it's very clean, the staff are friendly and the rooms are great value as well as having style and personality. We stayed in their biggest mixed dorm but because of the layout it was almost like having a private room. They provide lockable draws underneath the beds of a decent size, not big enough for a large suitcase but I managed to fit most of the contents of mine in it. There are also camera/laptop safes in the reception and lockable charging cupboards for your phone in the hallways. There is also parking for cars, vans and bikes at no extra cost. Half decent wifi, takes for ever to upload photos but useable for Facebook and travel sights etc.

While everything else was great, definitely a hostel go hungry. If you are even one minute late for breakfast you can't access their "kitchen" until after 1pm. So if you're a traveller like us and can't afford to go to a restaurant/cafe for every meal you simply have to go hungry. Their kitchen facilities also only consist of a microwave, kettle and sandwich press. Their one fridge is so overflowing you couldn't even fit a stick of butter in there, never mind my carton of lactose free milk which is essential to my health.

Great hostel over all, best we've been in so far, but their catering for food is pathetic. I would suggest this hostel for everything else, not if you are on a budget when it comes to food. It is also almost IMPOSSIBLE to get to the hostel after 11pm when the Underground has closed. Night buses do not run on this road and IF you manage to find one that goes in the right direction it drops you off on the other side of town.

Room Tip: We stayed in the biggest dorm straight off reception and it was a great room. You heard no noise fro...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Amy

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to read that you loved the place and that pretty much everything exceeded your expectations; you will be happy to learn that we have scheduled work for a full guest kitchen which will be fully finished by early 2013. Hopefully you will be able to come back and let us know your thoughts.

Best regards

Reviewed November 11, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Over the years I have spent many visits to London in various hostels throughout the capital, some good, some bad. But Palmers Lodge really surprised me and my friends.
We booked it mainly because we drove and they offered free parking, a massive bonus in London!
We arrived shortly before the due check in time but the staff were happy to get us booked in and off we went for the rest of the day. The whole of our short stay was perfect, the beds were solid (by solid I mean they didn't creak when you climbed onto the top bunk or when you turned over in your sleep). The place is very clean and on the morning I saw constant cleaning (always a good sign as it kept the place spotless).
Everyone else staying there seemed to be travelling and well travelled which helped to add to the atmosphere to this place.

I will definitely stay again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BriFantana
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Fantana75

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We are very pleased to read that you and your friends were pleasantly surprised at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage -it sounds like you have a lot of experience when it comes to staying in hostels. Please drop us a line if you are planning to come back soon, we will do our best to upgrade your accommodation where possible.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at Palmers Lodge with 5 friends and although the hostel was very clean and good value, personally, I am unsure I would stay here again.

Firstly, the storage in the rooms is ridiculously shallow, not small but shallow. As such, I would recommend taking an unstructured bag that you don't mind crushing into the shallow chests and cupboards. Structured suitcases and bags would need to be left unsecured or kept in the luggage are at reception which is not ideal.

The beds were okay but not great, I didn't mind the triple bunks but my pillow wasn't great and not every - mine included - bunk had full curtains and as much as it didn't bother me, I can imagine some people would not enjoy the lack of privacy this resulted in.

However, what I found most strange was the social side of the hostel - in as much as it's none existent. My initial worry when booking a shared room was that there may be unscrupulous characters sharing it who would return at four in the morning screaming and shouting. However, I felt that we were the most rebellious there, returning a little after midnight. The others in our room - couples sharing a single bunk which I found odd / cheap - were already asleep and had all the lights turned out. As such a comedic charade ensued where six fully grown men stumbled around in the dark trying to climb ladders whilst doing our utmost to keep the noise down. In my opinion it would be good to offer a room choice to guests where those who would like to be asleep by ten and just use the hostel as a base could be roomed together, and those who were happy to chat in the rooms and meet others could be put in other, more social dorms. That way a situation like ours could have been avoided. Oh and there are no plugs in the bunks so be prepared to leave your phone charging on the floor over night - not too good if you don't know who else is in your room.

The bar shuts at twelve - even on weekends - and laughter is frowned upon in the all night communal area - where people were sleeping under sleeping bags in arm chairs. Did they not pay for a room? I found this strange too - so I would also suggest either leaving the bar open later or having an area where those who wanted to talk at a greater volume and meet others could do so.

As I say, it was clean, shower and toilet facilities were great despite being communal - hairdryer was woeful though, good value and the staff were good on the whole, I just feel a number of easily resolved issues could have made it much better.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Alistair

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that you liked the staff, the facilities and the curtains feature in the dorms (everyone loves them!) and that you found the hostel very clean and that the price was right.

The large drawers provided in the dorms were designed to store a small to medium size bag with a few changes of clothes, plus some valuables like a laptop, a camera and any other important documentation with you. Please note that we also offer free storage for large suitcases in our locked luggage rooms and combination lockers in the reception area. Also note that we have a secure “charge box” in the hostel, where you can charge your mobile/mp3 player and you are the only person which will have the key.

I would be very interested to learn when you stayed with us, as it’s very concerning to read about two people sharing a bunk bed (unless you were staying in our 9 double bed dorm) or people sleeping in the lounge. This is not something we allow, so please get in touch if you have time to drop us a line, with you name and the details of your booking so I can investigate which staff was in charge at the time.

I am sorry to learn that the other guests in your dorm didn’t have the same sleep patterns as your group (perhaps they had to catch an early flight?). Your suggestion about having special dorms for party/chatty people and other dorms for quiet guests sounds fun in theory, but sadly a logistical nightmare in practice. Perhaps the best alternative for the next time you book accommodation in a hostel would be to book a small dorm exclusively for your group.

Finally, I can assure you that whilst the bar is open people can be as loud as allowed in any other bar. Note that our current license runs out at midnight (when most bars in London close too) but you will be glad to hear that we will be looking extend our bar hours to close at 2AM very soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

It was my third stay at London, and this is the best hostel i have stayed in so far. The staff was so nice, they even gave me some great tips on where to eat on a budget, and recommended me the inside tip on some great coffee places! WIFI, towels, everything you need. Recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Marsha274887

Thank you for your review. We are very flattered to learn that you were impressed the hostel (and our staff insider tips). We hope to see you back at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage soon!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We picked this hostel because it was one of the cheapest in London, and we were only staying for one night. Needless to say it was really neat, especially the 28-bed room we stayed in with large wooden bunk beds. Noise was a bit of an issue, mainly from people coming in and out when you are sleeping by the door! Also be sure to bring your own lock for the under-bed locker. Included breakfast was your typical oats-and-juice continental fare, good enough.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear theonehadak

Thank you for your honest review. We are delighted to read that you were satisfied with the facilities and the accommodation in our largest dorm. The door can be a little bit of noise if you are not used to share your accommodation on a regular basis but when adjusted, it fails to close properly, so safety will need to come first until we find an alternative solution. We hope to see you back at the hostel sometime soon!