“Lousy hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #676 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Rome, Italy
“Lousy hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Crappy hotel. Very poor, one of the worst ratio money for value that I had in London: you pay only for your central position and for Tube station (Edgware Road). Breakfast is a standard Tesco menu, coffees is a hot black colored water. For a double room for 60 GBP I think client can have more for his bucks... Anyway it was my second and last time in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Edgware Road, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Alessandro,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments regarding your recent stay.

I'm sorry to read you left with such a bad impression of our hotel. Most people will not consider the price too high for a bed & breakfast hotel in Central London with all the London attraction nearby. We usually receive positive feedback for the complimentary continental breakfast we serve. I agree with your point regarding the coffee because the coffee machine broke down that morning. We would like to offer you our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you faced and would like to know more in detail what else made your stay rate below your expectation.

Please feel free to contact us directly or we will contact you through the private messaging system to discuss more about our shortcomings as your feedback helps us to evaluate and improve the service we offer.

Thank you again for leaving your comments. Although you've clearly said this was your last time but we'll still hope to have another chance to welcome you back again in order to convince you with our service.
Warm regards,
Abida.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hungarian first
Basingstoke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Everything u need for a place to sleep. Clean, easy location, friendly. Don't pay over odds though and ask for room at the side or the back. Room 103 quiet. Beds comfy. Sheets clean. Breakfast adequate.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank jem1984
Dear Jem,

Thank you for a short and sweet review!! We’re very happy to know that we served your purpose. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and nothing makes us happier than to know our guests are satisfied with our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back!!
Best wishes,
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Pros:
Great, friendly staff, wonderful housekeeping, nice restaurant, and good location. Even though this hotel is less central in London compared to others, there are undergrounds only 5-10 min walks away and a bus stop right in front of the main entrance. Plus the whole Edgware area is bustling with tons of Middle Eastern influence - stores, restaurants, salons, pubs etc.

Cons:
This hotel has obviously been recently renovated, and it's nice for a short stay, but the longer I was there, the more flaws I saw with the room. When it rained, the windows and walls would sweat and the room had a constant feel of dampness and a slight smell. The washroom was very noisy - the pipes would rattle behind the wall whenever the room above our used their shower or toilet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for writing a detailed review on your recent stay with us.

I'm pleased to know that the staff was successful in making you feel welcomed during your stay. The location is indeed a plus point for the guests as well as the hotel.
I appreciate you writing on your negative experiences with us and apologise for the inconveniences caused. We are working on the slight flaws the hotels has and we hope your next stay will put five stars to your review.

Till then... take care!!
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I found this hotel to be really excellent for the price, and would def recommend to anyone traveling on a budget. The rooms are absolutely tiny, but clean, and the double glazing is excellent (we slept well all night, despite having a room on the Edgware road side). Tea and coffee in room, extra pillows, and nice shower. Only very tiny cons: Would have preferred extra towels to be in room, and not at reception, and the bathroom smelled slightly of damp (it looked very clean, though). Location is rather unglamourous, but if that doesn't bother you, then this is a good no-frills, comfortable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank snowbunnyUK
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Edgware Road, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

A big ‘Thank You’ for rating your stay with five stars!!

You've made our day! We’re so happy to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Sorry for facing the problems you mentioned in the review. We’re not sure whether you informed a staff member about the issues during your stay. The staff members take their role very seriously and try their level best to provide a quality service to each and every guest.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in near future. Looking forward to see you soon!!
Best wishes,
La Rochelle, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

The receptionist was very friendly with us, the hotel is very close to the middle of city center so it's easy to do everything by walking . The breakfast is very simple maybe too much but for the price it's fine . The hotel is in a arabic district on a big road . I recommend this hotel !!!!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marion17137
Dear Alobaidi,

Thank you for reviewing your stay and recommending us on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your visit to London and liked staying with us. It’s always a good feeling to know that our commitment of providing best customer service has paid off. We try our very best in providing a quality service to all our guests staying with us.

We look forward for another opportunity to host you at our property, and once again, thank you for the positive comments!
Take care,
Abida
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Upon my arrival, at around 3pm, I asked to the lady at the front desk for the wireless code since i was in London for a business related trip, to what she consulted her computer and told me that the system as down and the wireless not working. That she would call my room to let me know when this was fixed.

Since i was coming from NY i was quite tired and took a two hour nap. As soon as i woke up, I called again to the front desk to ask for the Internet code. What was my surprise as i was waking up, that the same lady responded: ' I told you i would call your room when it was fixed. I haven't called you so that means it hasn't been fixed" No pleases, no thank yous, no i apologise, nothing! the rudest person I encountered during my whole 2 business weeks through out Europe.

As I was in a hurry to send some mails and check my e-mail, I turned on the roaming so i could use the Internet from my ipad. You can now imagine the cost of it and how much money I received my bill for this issue.

As i was leaving, I saw some people at the hotel with their phones with a piece of paper talking about the Internet and the code they needed. They did have Internet and the Internet was working for them. i asked them about that paper and they told me it was given to them at reception.

So I went to the conference I was supposed to attend on October 10th without saying nothing, and did not return until past midnight.

Upon my return, I then asked for the internet code and was given to me without looking at any computer, just a piece of paper and a code in it. Apparently the person in charge during the night shift was not given the indication of not giving the code to me or my kind of reservation (i think).

As I received it, something smelled bad to me. How could it be that the person in the afternoon had to check a computer to give me the code, and this gentleman only gave me a piece of paper.

I decided to ask for the afternoon lady's name, to which I was replied: "What, What happened" and then I lied: "Nothing, i just wanted to thank her" and then he replied: "she will be back tomorrow" and then I asked for her name again and he said: " i can not give you her name, she will be back tomorrow".

The next morning I wanted to make some phone calls and was answered by front desk. They told me that, well...... the phone was not working. Not working!!! No internet, No telephone. No contact with the outside world at a hotel?? How could you have a business like that???

Once again, I had to turn my phone roaming because the hotel that promised internet included in the fee and basic needs such as telephone, was not working. My phone bill arrived rocket high.

I had to leave to another conference and asked for the internet to figure out what was going on. The answer was the same, the internet is not working. I asked to the person at the front desk when will it work to what he replied: "i don't know, our IT department is working on it, you will be called to your room as soon as possible"

What he didn't know is that i was using the internet (with the code the night clerk gave me without hesitation) as I spoke to him. It was all a lie.

I sent them a complaint e-mail, but received only apologies. They are cheap in all ways.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GS C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a comment on your recent stay with us. We would like to begin with an apology for the service you received and the inconveniences you faced during your visit.

It is true that we were having problems with our Internet connection for three days continuously. Unfortunately you also had to face the problem like most of our guests did during that period. Please believe the fact that we would not treat our customers differently by providing the Internet connection to other guests and not to you. That was not at all our intention. The Internet connection was back to normal on the day you were checking out. Previous to that we kept losing and receiving the signals every other minute.
We readily agree with you on the point that the kind of service you received from the front desk is not at all acceptable and please note that this is not the service we deliver on our daily basis. As you have mentioned in the review our customer service team sent an apology in reply to your previous email. We would again like to apologise for the series of problems you faced. We continually try our best to make things right but sometimes we unfortunately do fail. We will bare your feedback in mind and try to develop the gray areas of the service in future. Customer service is one of the first priorities in our daily practices. We totally agree with your point of not receiving the service you deserved.

Despite the problems you faced we hope you'll give us a chance to rectify our mistakes and visit us again so we can show you the true colours of customer service we provide. I assure you that you'll not regret this time.....just for us!!
Warm regards,
Abida
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Not bad if you take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station, the hotel is fairly close by. It is a 15 GBP cab ride from Victoria Station if you arrive via Gatwick. There is a bus that gets you there from Victoria if you are not road-weary and know your way around. Comfort Inn Edgeware Road is a tad far from any main attractions, but the price is right.

The outside of the "hotel" is a bit deceptive--looks like a store-front, to the extent that our cabbie almost missed it. Reception is friendly and the rooms are well-appointed, albeit small. There are two tube stations about a 8-min walk away on the other side of the ring-road, which make it accessible to the rest of the city.

Although it is a rather sleepy residential neighbourhood, there are a number of Middle Eastern restaurants all along Edgeware Road. The food and service is great, but forget about getting a pint or a glass of wine with your meal.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Edgware Road, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a detailed review on your recent stay with us.

Your review sums up most of it. The hotel is located near London’s most of the famous attractions and Edgware road is well-known for food and shopping. Transport to and from all London airports is also convenient for travellers since most of the Bus/train/Tube stations are located nearby.

You found the entrance deceptive like many of our guests do but I’m glad you found the rooms ‘well-appointed’. Improving the reception area is in our ‘Things to do’ list. I hope you find a change on your next visit.

Thank you for acknowledging the Reception staff services. I have conveyed your message to the team and they are very happy to know you had a memorable stay with us.

Hope to see you soon.