“A special treat”

Ranked #3,198 of 28,204 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Reviewed May 9, 2019 via mobile

Loved our lunch here.... Amazing cocktails, beautiful food. Expensive but it felt like a special occasion. Wonderful views across London. Staff very attentive and friendly. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed April 26, 2019 via mobile

We went here to get a good view across London I must say it delivered on the views two levels of food here quite expensive but very tasty ,Just be aware drinks are rather expensive

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed December 1, 2018

Anxious to try this well regarded restaurant with it's staggering views over London, its beautiful outside area (not sure for eating or just to enjoy the drinks from it's great bar) and its trendy dining ares, we managed to book during a lunch period in the middle of London's fabulous City area.

In this setting it is clear that the clientele are City traders/Bankers/Brokers and the like, often with large expense accounts and shortage of time.

Our first disappointment was a rather officious waiter who had an air of superiority and seemingly mistook our asking questions in order to understand the menu as ignorance. Bit of supercilious error to be honest.

We asked for one glass of champagne and one vodka martini. Plus a jug of tap water. With one of his eyebrows raised he nodded, certainly madam.

The Sommelier then came over to ask if we wanted help with choosing a wine, but my husband told him that we would each try the 3 glass Saki flight. We also asked that he hold back the Saki until our meal arrived as we were in no hurry.

Our 'better than you are' waiter then returned to ask if we had selected from the menu yet. We said we had, but we wanted to wait until our cocktails had arrived before the food did. We reiterated that we were in no hurry.

Certainly sir, madam. But of course.

Having decided to opt for the Sushi Samba Express Omakase set lunch 8 course tasting menu at £58 each, and based on his assurance, we placed the order.

Within a very short time, the arrival of our cocktails landed in front of us as did, within less than 2 minutes, the first two of the three course starter plates.

As they were cold dishes we didn't mind, and we started to enjoy and savour what really is the most delicious food.

However, with cocktails still not finished, the last of the starter plates, a hot Wagyu Gyoza, arrived. Given that Saki was our choice of drink with such delicious food, we asked them to take the Goyza away until we had finished our cocktails and our Saki had been served.

That's when things went downhill.

When we had finished our cocktails and the two starters we smiled sweetly at our waiter and said that we would love the Goyza. Certainly madam, sir.

What arrived was the middle course of sushi and the Saki - no Goyza. We said nothing.

Sushi finished, and we were then bought a dish of Heritage Carrots rather than that the course which should have preceded them.

Still no Goyza.

Carrots finishes, we were then served the main course of Sea Bass Tempura rather than the course that had been left out. But they did then bring the Goyza. The meat starter with the fish main.

After that came the course that should have been served before the carrots (following me)?

When we remarked that it was somewhat out of the serving order, still smiling sweetly, the officious waiter replied
'well, it is an express menu, served for people in a hurry and the kitchen doesn't know that'.
'Oh, said madam, perhaps you should have told them that when we told you we weren't in a hurry'.

So where does this review stand - food wonderful. Tastes are sublime. Worth every penny. I am still salivating (despite the fact that every warm dish we were served was left on the pass till it arrived at our table lukewarm).

I review many restaurants and I watch very closely.

Would we return? With waiters who take a superior attitude over a client, and then use they 'power' to instruct the kitchen to disrupt an order, simply because they 'can', then the answer is a resounding no.

My husband settled the bill, whilst I visited the Ladies room. When I walked in a male and female member of staff were leaning on the end of the basin run chatting away. I look surprised. The male member said, it's OK I clean here, please don't worry and go ahead. I did not want to go ahead. Nor was I worried. I wanted to walk into a ladies room and be comfortable. I entered the stall and waited a couple of minutes for them to finish their conversation before they left!

I then stood outside the locked coat cupboard watching the check in desk staff chattering away until someone looked up and wandered aimlessly over to release my coat.

On every level this was a disgrace. How dare staff treat customers that way. Senior management need to take care of it.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

And what a view! Heron Tower commands an unrivalled position, in the heart of The City, looking DOWN on The Gerkin (another iconic London landmark) with views that are breathtaking, stretching as far as the rolling green countryside bordering this magnificent city. The cocktails are imaginative and delicious, and the bar snacks are outstanding. The staff are helpful and friendly, with nothing being too much trouble.
Oh, I forgot to mention the lift!! Stunning, vertiginous and ear-popping. What an entry to a cocktail bar!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Elaine T
Reviewed June 12, 2018 via mobile

A wonderful view on the city, a spectacular elevator that put you in an other world. We had a cocktail at midnight!

Date of visit: May 2018