“Listen to all the reviews”

Belgrave House Hotel London Victoria
Ranked #826 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Listen to all the reviews”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I thought I would give this establishment a chance, thinking that maybe some of the reviews had been a little too harsh. Oh no. All the negative reviews were correct. This place is the most disgusting hotel I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in. When I first arrived the receptionist was very rude to me as she was unable to find my booking (despite myself pointing out that the sheet of paper with my name on she was looking for was right in front of her - I could see my name and all my details already printed out and waiting.) This took her 30 minutes to find and check me in, she then showed me down a very narrow staircase, and having 2 suitcases, she was more than happy to stand and watch me struggle. Once inside the room I was in utter shock that I began to cry. There is a small single bed (that is all I needed) but the duvet was lying in a pile on the floor. There was a chair propped up against the wall which had so many stains on it I think there was a new form of species living inside of it. My room had french windows looking out over an unkept garden, the wood of the windows was rotting away, and the curtains were half-hanging-off. The sink in the room had cigarette burns in it, and the tap had been smashed. When I tried to find a TV remote I couldn't, instead having to pay a deposit of 5 pounds (which I never got back as I couldn't prove I had paid a deposit! Despite being able to return the remote). The noise was unbelievably loud in the evening with people stomping up and down the stairs outside the room to go to the small toilet room next to the room, which was also grotty, and the light would constantly go out whilst in there. The shower room, as not attached to the room, was 3 floors up from my room, this initially looked clean, until, standing in the shower, I started to notice all the mould growing around the tiles, the door frames and even the window frames, and surprise-surprise the sink had cigarette burns. On departure I was 35 minutes over the check-out time, having not been informed of any check out time (usually check out is between 11am and 12noon, it is 10.30am here! I don't know why, it's not as though the rooms get cleaned) I was told I had to pay another 20 pounds and if I didn't then the police would be called. As this hotel was 30 pounds a night I enquired why the price was as high for an extra 35 minutes, to be abruptly told again that the police were going to get called (I hadn't refused to pay!) I proceeded to tell the receptionist (different to the one on check-in day, she was currently a cleaner!) of all that had occurred during me stay, the duvet, the stains, the bathroom etc. I was told very strictly that I was a liar and he proceeded to phone the police, at this point I started to cry again, to which prompted more shouting from the receptionist (I had been at reception for under 5 minutes at this point) The receptionist charged my card with the overpayment, came around from behind reception and took my bag behind the reception desk and told me I was going to be arrested! Bearing in mind I had now by this point paid the overcharge. When the police arrived the receptionist was nowhere to be seen. I explained the entire situation, to which the 2 police officers retrieved my bag and sent me on my way. I will NEVER be staying at this dump again. It is more like a house for prostitutes and drug addicts. There is nothing good about here, except the location, but for your sanity I plead you to find somewhere else. The worst hotel EVER.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Matt M
LHGManagement, Manager at Belgrave House Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel.
At the Belgrave House Hotel we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and I do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

Having checked with all of our staff, CCTV and Belgravia Police, we have no record of the Police being called to the hotel for any such incident. We are unsure as to why any of our guests would fabricate such a story.

We take all complaints and comments extremely seriously, and endeavour to rectify any issues in order to provide our customers with complete satisfaction. On this occasion, our staff are unaware of any incident of this nature.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have stayed in some awful hotels all around the world, but this is the worst I have stayed in in several years. The hotel was generally very dirty and the room in particular smelled absolutely disgusting. My room was cleaned, but there was several years of dirt on the walls and the maid kept replacing the dirty throw back on the bed when I kept folding it and putting it under the bed.

The toilet bowl looked like it has never seen any kind of toiler cleaner. The door-frame in the bathroom appeared to be rotting and falling in. The shower gel in the shower had run out.

I was made to leave a deposit in order to get a remote control for the TV (the receptionist didn't tell me this, so I had to come back down 5 flights of stairs to get it).

Awful hotel! Stay away!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Laura2490

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Lots of problems with this hotel:
- Demanded £20 deposit for a key. They also charge £5 if you want to use the tv in the room. They also wanted to make a photocopy of my credit card. Refused to say why because "it's policy"?
- Wallpaper was peeling in the bedroom and walls were dirty and damp.
- Bedding had burn-holes and spare bedding was mouldy.
- Bathroom had missing tiles, holes in the wall, no toilet paper and lights that flickered on and off.
- Power points in room covered in black dirt.
- Room hard to get around because bed only just fit.
- Disused shower (taped shut) in one corner of the room.
- Dirty and holey carpet on stairs. Automatic lights that sometimes didn't work.
- Staff were rude and unhelpful.

Good points?
-Good location. Very close to Victoria bus/train stations.
-Free Wifi.
-Warm. I was staying in December and at least it was warm in my room!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The first issue is the rude reception staff. They go to no effort to greet you or make you feel welcome and we spent a long time waiting to check in. However, the reception has obviously been recently refurbished - not the case as you venture up the stairs.
As you reach the toilets the smell is horrendous, my boyfriend compared the smell to that of portaloos at a festival. Not only that, the shared bathroom is falling to bits.
The room got ridiculously hot due to the heating being on full at 3am - it really wasn't that cold. We went to reception to ask them if they could turn the heating off and we were told to 'open a window', which would have been fine except the window frame was extremely loose and made a loud banging noise whenever the wind blew.
In terms of cleanliness the room is clean and has all the basics and the location is really good for the price paid, right next to the Victoria tube link. I do think that a class in customer service may be needed, and we will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank ajmxx
Athens, Greece
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have been in much better hotels but there is not much you can get for that price in central London. We stayed there for 3 nights (December 2013). The room (502) was big, clean and quiet. On the other hand it was on the 5th floor without lift and the water pressure was very low so it was bit of a challenge to take a shower. The breakfast costed 2,5 pounds and for about 4 to 5 pounds you can get much better outside.
The staff was friendly but could be better! Next time I will go to London I will try to have more money to spend in a better hotel. I might stay there if I travel on my own, maybe if my wife is with me but for sure I will not go with the children.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Basic rooms and possibly several floors of stairs (even a couple down to the bathroom if you are up top). Some people commented on sensor lights going off in the bathroom when you are in there (my girlfriend didn't like this), which is a bit of an issue. All in all, fairly basic once you get past the respectable-looking reception. However, it was not bad in my experience and opinion. Probably one of the cheapest places to stay in London, depending on what price you get it at, and extremely convenient for Victoria Train Station, as well as other parts and transport in the Victoria area (even much of central London if you are happy to walk a bit). They even stored our luggage after check-out, so I was able to walk less than five minutes from Victoria Train Station to collect our luggage at the end of the day and back again for our train home from London. I understand that some people expect a lot more than this (please realise that London is very expensive, so accommodation is on another price level compared to other places in the U.K.). However, if you are really looking for convenient, cheap accommodation in London, this hotel is well worth considering.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ayrshire
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

This establishment leaves a lot to be desired. It is described as a budget hotel but sadly this place lacks the basics in budget hotels. On arrival the desk asked for confirmation re the card used to book. This was not possible. As we had been on holiday and had not taken our bank cards. I offered our passports and the guy stated this would not do. He asked for another card or another payment in cash plus an additional£4.50 charge. I refused to pay so he called the boss who advised passports would be ok. At one point a taxi driver intervened and asked him to show me some respect. Was given the key to room 208. Was met with a rancid smell, filthy carpets, filthy flooring and a room with damp on ths ceiling, peeling paint and flooring which had been filled in with cement. The guy at the desk agreed the smell was ' very bad ' and proceeded to get a can if air freshner and sprayed the room. I asked where the toilet was, 2 floors up and what a performance to get there. Lights were on a timer and went on n off at random moments. The toilet was disgraceful, filthy, walks falling down, hunger surrounding the shower, filthy toilet , basin cracked n glued in 4 different places. The result was I left in tears and had to rent another room somewhere else as the place was absolutely filthy. Photographs have been attached for confirmation. Please do not use this place.

• Stayed November 2013