YMCA Indian Student Hostel
Rosewood London(London)
$556
$416
  • Restaurant
All reviewswarren street tube stationindian breakfastroom rentattached bathincluded breakfast and dinnerdormitory roomcommon bathroomcentral locationhome away from homebritish museumrooms are cleancleaning stafffew minutes walkshort staylondon eyepoundsconnectivity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights last October. The hostel is in a good location, close to the tube. Price includes breakfast and dinner/supper, which is a real money-saver. The food wasn't bad. Our room was clean: one bed and a desk with very limited space around, which is nothing unusual in London. It did get a little too loud at night with both the inside and the outside noise. Also: if you're sensitive to smells, I would like to note that the hallways have a rather unpleasant smell. Overall: good value for the money.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank spiewaa
Reviewed June 2, 2009

This accomodation is a superb value for money!!!

Great location, great food, clean rooms are the highlights of this place.

It is very near to warren street and holborn stations. They provide excellent food and dinner and breakfast price is included in the cost when you book it.

They have internet access terminals, a library and playing rooms.

Overall highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank candyman3k
Reviewed June 1, 2009

When we arrived our room wasn't ready so we left our luggage in their luggage room. This room is locked, but staff do not supervise when someone wants to retrieve something and it's sort of in an out of the way location, so I'm not sure how secure it really is. Our luggage was fine however.

Checked in - I had already paid for the first night when I booked and when I was charged for the second night they had converted the charge to Canadian dollars (I believe this is called something like dynamic conversion and involves I think a 3% commission or something like that). I did not want to pay that way and explained I'd like to pay in pounds sterling. I was told to either sign the receipt and pay in Canadian funds or pay cash, period. He said the bank did this and he had no choice. I felt that this was horribly dishonest, as it was in his power to charge me in pounds not sterling by simply pushing the button under 'no' instead of 'yes' on the credit card machine when it asked if I wanted it in Canadian funds. I didn't want to spend all my cash so I signed the receipt. The room was 50 pounds per night, including breakfast and dinner.

The room was very small. A bunk bed that was quite comfortable, a sink that you kind of had to shimmy down the side of the bunk to get to, a small shower stall, and a toilet with doors you couldn't close as you'd hit your knees with it if you were on the toilet - so essentially the shower and toilet were beside the bunk bed. Not a problem really for us as we are partners, but you'd really want to be comfortable with the person you were sharing with. We were happy to have a private toilet and shower though. It was relatively clean, but not spotless. Towels were included which was nice. There was a window up very high and frosted that didn't open, but a fan brought in fresh air - a bit noisy though. It was on the ground floor so there was noise from the street, but it didn't bother us much. We eventually figured out our room use to be a washroom or shower room at one point that they've turned into a bunk room.

The breakfast and dinners were all very good, and there was lots to eat - no complaints at all there. The common areas were clean and nice. We didn't really use the t.v. room because there was always people in there watching cricket from India, and were not interested in cricket.

It was good value, so we may consider staying there again - time will tell.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ktowntravllr
Reviewed March 23, 2009

If you plan to stay at this hostel, do NOT bring ANY valuables. My mother and I planned to stay here for a few days summer 2007. We checked in at the desk.....we had 2 suitcases, our purses and a laptop bag. We put our bags down in our room, locked the door behind us, and went to buy theatre tickets. When we got back, our door was wide open, and the laptop was gone. We talked to a girl in the hall who told us that there was a guy who stayed in the hostel a while ago who just went to take a shower, and when he got back, ALL of his valuables were gone.....his camera, his cell phone, his computer, etc etc.
I am convinced this was an inside job. I believe that someone who has access to the keys is watching the security cameras to know exactly when you leave your room, so they can enter and steal your belongings.
Never again will I stay in a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank eterry2
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We stayed in this great hostel in London in June 2007. The Indian YMCA is close to all the tourist spots and we paid just 70 pounds per day for two people for breakfast,dinner and clean comfortable en suite accommodation.The meals were fairly standard but it was great not having to worry about cooking when you got home from sightseeing each day - and I like curries!

I think its gone up to 80 pounds a day but would still recommend it. There website is a little daggy but it has a lot more information than a lot of the more 'professional' websites you see.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple