“It's Really Not”

Ranked #495 of 871 Specialty Lodging in London
Adelaide, Australia
“It's Really Not”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The location is really quite good, access to Kensington and a supermarket literally 50 steps away .... open until 11pm.
The rooms however are pretty bad. Don't believe the pictures, they simply don't represent what you find when you open the (quite ancient) door. The "double glazed" windows are two diffent types of window jammed in the same frame and are ineffective and difficult to operate. The bathroom isn't aware the war is over !!!!! The room is tiny too. The staff were friendly and very helpful though, just be aware if you are thinking of staying there, it is about a 2.5 star establishment,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

We were upgraded to a one bedroom after phoning to express our concern about some of the reviews we had read. We were told we had one of the newer apartments. Although the room was clean, quiet and in a brilliant location, it is definitely nothing like the photos and description on their website. The furniture is very dated, the armchair was so stained we never used it, the sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable to sit on, the bathroom window was cracked and black with mildew, the dresser was broken and missing a handle, the walls were chipped and stained. The apartment also smelt of smoke. Nothing about it is 'elegant and modern'!!! We didn't complain because we didn't want to spend our trip being angry and negative so we made the best of it but I certainly wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to anyone

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ClairC
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Having originally booked a studio apartment I was pleasantly surprised to be offered an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment on the 5th floor.
This is clearly designed for a longer stay, the apartment had a cloakroom and a bathroom plus a kitchen with all necessary utensils, MW oven and electric hobs, toaster, kettle and a washing machine.
I did not try to use the facilities but would do so fro a longer stay. The place was clean and above all very quiet and very close to South Kensigton tube station. There's a Gaucho restaurant in the building.
The room rate (booked on line) was excellent, my only slight complaint is that the WiFi is not free.
I would also like to see that the bath surface is improved as it was very slippery and there were no handles to hold on to. I'm not sure if this was just this apartment or it applies throught the building.

Room Tip: My room overlooked an indoor patio. That made it ideal for a good night's sleep. If you're d...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed at Chelsea cloisters for 2 months in 2010 on a secondment in London. It is the perfect option for a long stay as you have your own washing machine and kitchen, tube station is at walking distance. You can reach central London by taking a bus from near by four lane. Sainsbury outlet just next to hotel fulfills most of your after office snack and food needs to be cooked at studio apartment.
Staff is helping, Overall it was a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank AbhishekShrma
Oakland, California
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Chelsea cloisters acted as a very good base from which we could explore London. The hotel is a big building of apartments and the experience is almost like having your own home within the block. You have your own bathroom and kitchen with a cooker, microwave, washing machine, etc (very helpful and saves on hotel laundry costs!). The staff were helpful and welcoming. I certainly recommend to those visiting London.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank MaryJBurris
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Chelsea cloisters for 3 months whilst visiting the UK and Europe. It is the perfect option for a long stay as you have your own washing machine and kitchen and so is much more practical than a hotel and also more luxurious than a youth hostel. The price was also very reasonable as they give a big discount for longer stays. I got to know the staff during my time there and the were always helpful and accommodating. I recommend Chelsea cloisters for travellers looking for a home from home.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have previously published this review however we wanted to update it to show that we did receive a refund. Despite this and the hotel manager emailing me twice to remove my review I feel it is still right to publish this review because it is all factually correct and we still had a very bad experience.

Updated: AVOID THIS DUMP!! DISGUSTING! RUDE STAFF! NOT AS ADVERTISED AT ALL!!

Don't be fooled by the name 'Chelsea' or the name 'Cloisters'. Both of these sounds upmarket and posh. Don't be fooled by their website either!!! We have stayed in serviced apartments around the world as they are much better than a basic hotel room with their flexibility but this one takes the biscuit as the worst.

The entrance to the hotel sets out a good impression and both my partner and I were excited when we arrived. Despite the fact there was a member of staff looking over the desk and glaring at us whilst picking his nose when we arrived we pushed on. After being sent to the letting office to get the room key and not at the front desk we headed up to our room.

When you get into the room it was tiny, absolutely minute!! The bathroom was filthy, discoloured toilet and a bath plug hole that looked positively hazardous to your health. The bathroom was riddled with pink and black mould all round the windows, bath, and shower. There were all manner of hairs over the floor in the bathroom not to mention the hairs in the bed!

The bed was broken and you fell off when you tried to sit on it. The main bedroom bit was so terrible dusty that if you have asthma like my partner it won't be long before you are wheezing!

I can say that the kitchen section was spotlessly clean, clearly not been used for a while, maybe the people before us did the same as us and left.

The studio apartment is advertised as a spacious room with great views over London. Our room looked over a generator and into other peoples flats with lots and lots of noise. No London view AT ALL!!

We were advised by staff that there were no managers available until January so they could not process a refund at all.

We were booked into the hotel for 2 nights as it was my birthday and it was a birthday treat for 2 days in London to be treated as a princess. Unfortunately we couldn't stay in the hotel as it was disgusting. We picked up our bags and left and had to travel home again as we were not able to pay for another last minute hotel room.

I was very emotional at having a ruined birthday, no London trip and being massively out of pocket.

AN UPDATE: We were given a refund by the hotel manager after we provided him with photographs of the problem. In fairness to him he listened to our problems and after a few days of speaking to him he gracefully provided us with our refund. He said that they would be looking to modernise that particular flat that we had a problem with.

Regardless, I would still say AVOID, there are plenty of other places to stay for the same money.!!!! We didn't book expecting 5* magnificence or even above and beyond because it was based in Chelsea. We booked based on location and I'd rather have stayed a little further out at a better hotel, there are plenty to chose from.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple