“Shocking!!!”

Ranked #965 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
“Shocking!!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Avoid this hotel at all costs! After eventually finding the hotel up a dirty, seedy back alley, next door to an NHS drop in centre, we were 'greeted' by the male receptionist and asked for our names and payment. No friendly chat or have a good stay, etc. The rooms were small and absolutely filthy!!! The dust and dirt and cobwebs must have been gathering for weeks if not months. There were stains on the duvet cover, the carpet was dirty, the curtains didn't fit and were hanging off. The shower room was so dirty we got cleaning -products that had been left in a bucket on the landing and cleaned it ourselves!!
We had to leave our keys at reception every time we went out and the staff barely spoke. We weren't asked if we needed any help with luggage although the hotel advertises a porter service. We had to ask for tea bags (which was earl grey!) had no teaspoon and only 3 pillows on a double bed.
"Cooked breakfast" comprised of cereals in tubs on the side, no bowls or milk, a glass of orange juice, cup of tea or coffee, cold toast with butter and jam, processed cheese slices and 2 fried eggs which were overcooked and smelly!! No bacon or sausages (possibly a religious thing as the hotel is run by Muslims??!!) there was Indian/Arabic music blaring from a computer while we were eating. If I could give a zero rating on everything, I would! Overall, a dreadful experience and wouldn't stay there again even if it was free!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Madeleine G
cityinnexp, Guest Relations Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at City Inn Express.

I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies

At City Inn Express, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

However I find some of your comments unfair and made with Prejudice, Yes we are located through a walkway as mentioned on our website. You unfairly state it as being dirty and seedy, which is untrue it is clean and well lit not sure what you mean by seedy maybe you have experience of seedy environments.

We only offer a continental breakfast as advertised. We do not advertise that we serve a english breakfast.

London is multicultural and we receive guests from all over the world and show and treat them with the up most respect. However you seem to have racial issues which are shown in your comments and the way you treated staff at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hungarian first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My boyfriend and me stayed in this hotel several times. Rooms are cleaned and tidy. Members of the staff are always friendly and helpful. Near the hotel there are a lot of pubs bars and restaurants. I reccomend it to families or friends who want to spend a weekend in London because it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to City Inn Express Hotel .

Your comments have been passed on to the staff

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay

We hope to see you in the near future.

Tarbes, France
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Good points:
The room was good for the price and clean
Toilet and shower in the room
A lot of buses to go to the city centre

Bad points:
Sound of a pump. You hear the sound of this pump starting/stopping and it's very annoying.
Bathroom small and bad pressure in the shower

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay, we have taken notice your negative points and will be looking into how they can be resolved.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Paris
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is not a hotel you want to stay in.

First, I got there and my room was on the third floor, I asked if there was an elevator and the guy working at the front desk just told : "No, there are stairs, climb it". Okay ...

The room was fine, a bit small, the bed weren't comfortable, and the blankets too short.

The second day we asked for another blanket and an extra pillow, we were told that there were no vacancy in the hotel so every blanket was taken. First time in my life that I heard that in a hotel. Unprofessional.

During our trip, nobody came to clean the room nor the bathroom, they didn't even change the sheets.

The third day, we had a friend over for 2 hours in our room, little did I know it wasn't allowed. When I got downstairs the guy at the front desk dared to scream at me, saying that it was illegal to have a guest and threatened me. It was beyond unprofessional to attack me and yell at me.

I do not recommend to anyone this hotel, it is not worth the money and the people over there are rude, unprofessional and not nice. Save your money and find something better in London.

Room Tip: Run away and don't even bother look at this mess.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kevin G
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here for work, and it was absolutely fine. Clean enough and in a good location close to shops and bars, and some parks nearby for running. There were a few damaged items in the room such as the showerhead and lumpy mattress, but all-in-all it wasn't so bad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
cityinnexp, Public Relations Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review!

Kind Regards
Dublin
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel as it was close to family. I understood it was a budget hotel so I expected basic but hygienic facilities. On arrival my room was on the third floor so I had to haul my luggage up the three flights of stairs as there was no elevator or was I offered any assistance. The room was filthy, it had never seen a duster or Hoover. The bathroom was tiny, the previous guest's soap and hair was left in the shower and also their waste was left in the toilet. I asked to be moved to another room and was moved to a second floor room which was slightly cleaner but not much better, soap left in the shower, un hoovered, bed clothes old, bed broken on one side and no extra blanekts even though it was snowing out. I didn't feel adventurous enough to try the food. It was a horrible place that should be shut down by a health inspector.

Room Tip: It seems the higher you go the dirtier it was.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily M
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last night and was going to write a favourable review as though this place is most definitely a 'budget' hotel with absolutely no frills, our room was clean and tidy, with clean towels and bedding (though with an old and very tired bed and mattress) and the staff initially, friendly. Having read prior reviews that mentioned the hotel's policy of charging an extra fee for payments made by credit or debit card, I brought cash to pay for the room. When I checked out, I was about to pay, only to be told that my online booking had already been paid from my debit card and a 3.5% commission charge added to my bill. I asked to settle the bill in cash, minus the commission charge only to be told that was not possible as I'd made an online 'non-refundable' booking and that their 'booking information' makes it clear that card payments incur a surcharge. Well, my emailed receipt was for the room rate only and though it mentioned that a surcharge would be made for card payments, at no point was it made clear that there was NO option to pay in cash and avoid the surcharge. So basically, the room rate was actually the stated amount PLUS an essentially mandatory surcharge. Though this surcharge was only a few Pounds, I feel that to add this cost as a matter of course, with no option to avoid it, but not include it on the bill and then attempt to pass it off as a separate prior-notified payment is completely and utterly dishonest and possibly illegal under trading standards legislation. Though for only a small sum, I felt completely ripped off. Judging by their reaction, the staff obviously have this argument regularly with disgruntled patrons and have been instructed to be totally inflexible on the matter. If you choose to book a room here, be aware that you will almost certainly have a surcharge added to your quoted room rate, which is almost impossible to avoid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MDog77
cityinnexp, General Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and leaving feedback.

Please note you booked a non refundable room, the charging policies are clearly stated at the time of booking.

You chose to book this room type, you can avoid these charges by booking a standard policy room type.