“About what you would expect”

Chelsea Guest House
Ranked #313 of 1,088 Hotels in London
northants
“About what you would expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

The staff were the plus point and I guess I would use it again if I was down that way. We selected it as we were doing the London to Brighton bike ride. It is a gr8 location for this. Rooms are warm in the summer and so the windows have to be open which means city noise through the night - take ear plugs.
It was clean and the rooms are basic but nice. Bathroom was also ok.
Only point I would make is that they charge you to park there £20 PV, but they do not tell you this till you get there.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are warm in the summer, take ear plugs and open the windows
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank andy7979us
Chelsea Guest H... L, Reception at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Andy7979us,
Thanks you so much for your review.

All the team thank you for your lovely comments about our hard work. We are always proud of our job when our customers leave the Guest House happy and willing to come back in the future.

We are on track to refurbish more of our rooms, and we do hope we will have the chance to show you our latest improvements.

Cleanliness is our top priority, along with outstanding customer service, and we work hard to keep it at a high standard. So, thank you so much for appreciating our efforts.

I’ m sorry to read of your disappointment about the parking. We do have several parking spots available on request and we are always very keen to inform our guests about the charge of £20, which we believe, is extremely reasonable for parking in London. That is why we ask our guests to book the parking space in advance by contacting the hotel directly. We do hope this is not a deterrent for your next stay with us.

Thanks once again for your review and we hope to see you again.

Sofia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at this Guest House for 4 nights in April 2014 and paid about US $285.00. The front desk personnel were all very friendly and helpful to me, particularly when I asked questions about buses and London Tube (my first 4 days in London).

Bus Services - five minutes away from the Guest House is the stop for Bus # 87 that goes to Vauxhall Tube Station and Westminster where most tourist attractions are located.

Restaurant - McDonald Restaurant is located next to it.

DON'T LIKE:

BED SHEETS - other than the small orange sheet/spread (?), there are no other sheets (flat and fitted ones) and blankets provided to me.

ROOM - very narrow and small. Does not appear to be clean.

MIRROR - located at high level, I would need a stool to see my face (I'm 5 ft 5 inches tall).

LIGHTING - very dim.

My London Sweat Shirt - I emailed them to let them know that I forgot my new sweat shirt in the bathroom and would get it back when I return to London in 2 weeks. I could not get anyone to tell me what happened to my sweat shirt when I inquired about it again.

With more experience traveling in London, I would definitely NOT STAY again in this hotel due to reasons listed above.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank LolaGo1
Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Lolago1,
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us.
It was lovely to talk with you while you were at the Chelsea Guest House. Our reception team is not just fully trained to provide all the information our guests need to enjoy this beautiful capital, but it is also very happy to do it! This is our job and we are passionate about it. It is very nice that you have noticed it and written about it. So, thank you again.
As you underlined, the location of the guest house is amazing to reach the city centre with a short bus ride or by tube, and the nearby area offers lots of nice restaurants, for all tastes and pockets. Our reception team are always ready to best address our guests to the restaurant to suit all tastes.
I am sorry to read you did not find some things to your likings. With regards to the bed linings, we would have been happy to provide you with an extra sheet or cover, though the fitted one with the cover for the duvet is the typical English bedding style and, of course it is changed for every new customer and every 2 days for long stays. At check-in we always ask our guests to return to the reception if there is anything that they need and I am sorry you did not take advantage of this during your stay, as we could have amended this issue.
The light bulbs we use in the guest house are energy efficient, as we want to improve our green footprint on the earth, therefore they do tend to be slower at brightening up, but we believe that the majority of our guest will be happy that we are trying to go green.
About the other issues you experienced, I can ensure that your message will be passed to the managers that will take a look into them, to check that our cleanliness standards will be kept high.
Our building team is already hard at work to renovate our rooms and to ensure we are keeping up with our main focus for our guests, whilst ensuring not to disturb our guests’ stay. Most of our rooms have been already refurbished and modernized.
And let me apologize for your shirt. Although the housekeeping team clean all our rooms deeply every day, and we have a lost property procedure, unfortunately it has not been found. It appears a communication fault has occurred and that is why you have not received any information about it. This should never happen, and we will make sure it will not happen again. The managers have already looked into this matter to make sure any other fault of this kind will not occur again.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and for your review. We do hope you might re-consider our Hotel in future light of this information, and in that case we would be pleased to listen to your requests and find the best solution for you.
Kindest Regards
East Staffs.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed here with several friends for two nights while we enjoyed a weekend in London. The rooms are spread across two Georgian buildings next door to each other. My first impression was the lack of space in and around the rooms and the pretty straightforward state of them overall - don't expect fancy touches or even tea/coffee facilities for instance.

The rooms are small with just enough room for two single beds and a small bedside chest cabinet. There was a decent flatscreen tv on the wall which was good. The bathroom was very small indeed, not much room to move about and a bit difficult to dry off after a shower. The beds were basic, duvet and pillow left a bit to be desired. There were comfortable enough though.

A couple of maintenance issues while I was there - the curtain rail was almost falling apart and I had to be very careful when drawing ot opening them. Also on the first morning the lights in the bedroom and bathroom failed. I reported this to reception who were pleasant enough and said they would get it fixed. When i returned to the room a few hours later the bedroom light worked but not the bathroom - this made it very difficult to use the bathroom as there was no natural light.

Overall it was reasonably priced (for London) and was in an ok location but I would have expected a bit more in terms of basic quality.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear Matt C,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write on you recent stay at The Chelsea Guest House.
We consider ourselves as a good value accommodation, which offers the comforts our guests may need during their stay, located in a well-connected area, with buses and tube going straight to the city centre with a short ride. As I mentioned, we offer basic standards rooms, single, double or twin, triple and family and then we also offer premium rooms, provided with brand new furniture, royally approved beds, tea and coffee making facilities, toiletries and more space than the standards.
Also, since we take our guests’ comments in high regard and use them to make important inputs to improve our services, we are currently undergoing some renovations to the guest house. It would be lovely if you came back to visit us again and gave us the chance to impress you with one of our newly renovated rooms.
Thank you once again for your comment.
Best Regards
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed here in March to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday in London. Budget room booked and so no tea/coffee making facilites which was a bit disappointing however everything else was excellent. Booked in late evening and was greeted by a friendly receptionist. Having mentioned when booking it was my daughter's birthday a lovely surprise was had when she went to her room to find 'swan towels', a box of chocolates and a birthday card from the staff. The following mornings found even more friendly receptionists. The rooms we had were at the front of the hotel but they were really quiet and no noise was heard from the McDonald's next door. Excellent bus routes down to the tube station. This not a top brand place to stay but the staff are certainly second to none and if you want to save money on accommodation and use it only as a base it is ideally situated and I would definitely use again

Room Tip: If staying in the budget rooms make sure you have your drinks with you as have no tea making facilit...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear 67splodge,
A big thank from the reception team for your glowing review.
At the Chelsea Guest House we love to make feel our guests special, whether they are here for a special occasion, like you and your daughter, or simply to discover the city or on their business trip. We constantly try to keep our guest needs and requests our priority.
We feel very proud when we find out, through such positive feedback like yours, that we are doing a good job. So, many thanks once again, we all feel inspired to continue our efforts.
The Guest House, is very well-connected to the city centre by bus, tube and overground and it is also very close to the amazing area of Clapham.
We believe we cater for many people, with different budgets and needs looking for accommodation in London that is why we offer different kinds of rooms: from the basic Standards rooms to the Premium rooms that offer more luxurious surroundings, royally approved beds, toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities.
We hope that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay in London and we do hope you will come to visit us again and experience one of our Premium rooms.
Warm Regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed in this hotel because we had a very early start on a working Wednesday morning. Warm welcome and very clean modern room. It was next to entrance so a bit noisy. The hotel has no restaurant but room had tea/coffee making facilities. Thedre is a McDonalds next door and other eating options nearby.

Room Tip: Maybe find a at back on higher floor. This hotel has no restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Reelvideoman.
We really appreciated your comment!
From what I have read, I believe you stayed in one of our newly refurbished rooms, which are provided with tea and coffee making facilities, hypnos beds and are newly modernized. We are so pleased to see you appreciated this, as we have been working hard to complete these rooms.
Our team is always ready and keen to provide a warm welcome to all of our guests, as they deserve, and to offer a clean, comfortable and friendly environment, as well as being able to offer recommendations to local restaurants, bars and cafes.
We look forward to welcome you again to the guest house, and on your next visit, give us a quick call and we can ensure a room is booked for you towards the back of our building, which some of our guests find much quieter.
Many Thanks
Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I used this hotel as a convenient one night stop-off between a dinner in Battersea and an appointment next morning nearby, deciding to spend £79 for a basic room with an ensuite rather than £250 for a bigger and better known hotel. All I was doing was sleeping there for 6 or 7 hours. The staff were very helpful, the room was pretty basic, but as expected. There were tea and coffee facilities and the small bathroom had been refurbished to a good standard. Drawbacks were street noise and tired linen. It had been washed but probably for the 300th time so didn't really look very clean. All in all, worth it to have the £170 I saved to spend on something else. The breakfast voucher, at £5, is a good buy to use at the Savoy café 50 yards away, provided you like a full English in a greasy spoon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Chelsea Guest H... L, Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear rh1312,

Thank you for taking the time out from your schedule to write a review about your stay with us.

We are truly honored that you chose to stay with us, rather than a £250 a night know brand hotel, we believe we can offer the same level of customer service, and our guests can leave just as happy with, like you mention, having saved over £170 and having that money in their back pockets.

We believe in honesty and integrity, we advertise exactly what we offer, low cost rooms in an excellent locations, with the highest standards of cleanliness and 5 star service offered by our employees to aid those guests that need information, directions or even just a smiling friendly face at the end of a busy working day.

We really appreciate your lovely comments, and they have been passed throughout the team. If you are in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact us, and we can help you with any requirements you may have.

Many Thanks,

Danielle
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great location as I was completing a YMCA Exercise to Music course down the road.
Value for money considering we are in London.
Superb staff - so helpful and friendly.
Traffic noise as expected for this busy road.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Aqua-Vox,
We are always so pleased to read such lovely comments from our guests.
All the Chelsea Guest House team thank you! A great and efficient customer service is a must for us, and we try always to give our best to ensure we give each and every one of our guests an enjoyable stay in a welcoming environment.
We would really love to welcome you once again and to listen to your request. I am sure that, if you contact us directly, we can allocate you in a more quite room.
Kindest Regards