“Really Nice Staff!”

Ranked #313 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Kelowna, Canada
“Really Nice Staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here based on tripadvicor.com reviews and overall I was satisfied with my stay. However, I will most likely spend more and stay north of the river the next time I'm in London.

The staff were great -- particularly Danielle.

The price was great for a budget hotel, so I have no negative comments. If people want more, they'll need to pay more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chelsea Guest H... L, Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear dwmurray_ca,

Thank you very much for your kind words about your stay at Chelsea Guest House, we appreciate you taking the time to post a review. We do hope you had and enjoyable visit to the capital!

We are pleased to hear you chose to stay at Chelsea Guest House because of the reviews you read on Trip Advisor, we always find honest and reliable reviews, such as yours, are extremely helpful for people when they are looking to make a reservation.

We are delighted you found our budget prices great, and also the service received from the staff. We will of course pass your kind comments on to the relevant people as mentioned in your review.

We do hope next time you are looking for accommodation South of the river, you will come to us. Until then, we thank you once more for the review.

Kind Regards,

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Always in your disposal the staff of this small hotel is an unexpected surprises for the location of the hotel. The service is excellent. The suggestions of the reception are the best. The guidness in any kind of information precise. I'll be back for this friendly warm atmosphere. I felt wellcome
Roumpini
Greece

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor backyard are very quiet. Rooms on the last floor are much more confortable...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chelsea Guest H... L, Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Roumpini,

Thank you very much for your kind review about the Chelsea Guest House. We are so pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful and the service provided excellent! We pride ourselves on all the team knowing the local and wider London area well. so we can suggest areas and places to visit, and of course the most efficient way of getting there also, we can also point out the rarely visited places or attractions or as we like to call them 'hidden gems' of the city that many visitors may not be aware of.

We are looking forward to your return to the guest house and thank you once more for your wonderful review.

Danielle
Operations Manager
Regensburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

My stay at the guest house was surprisingly good for the relatively low price. I stayed in an ensuite single room, facing away from the main road. So it was not too loud, apart from the McDonalds drive-through next-door.
The room was very clean (and was cleaned every day), with a comfortable bed and a TV. There is free WIFI available.
The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful.
The only negative points are the location (I needed almost an hour to get there from the city centre when the traffic was bad) and the fact that some of the furniture in my room could have been replaced some time ago (chair was ripped up). Something to put your stuff on in the bathroom would also be a good idea.
But I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chelsea Guest H... L, Public Relations Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for giving us such an extensive feedback on your stay at Chelsea Guest House. We are very happy to see that you appreciated our strong points, namely customer service, value for money and cleanliness. The thing that determines good location is good transport links and we believe that with the bus network and tubes nearby, we are well connected to the city centre. From the guest house you can be in Trafalgar Square or Waterloo within 30 minutes by bus, though as you mentioned this does depend on traffic, if traffic is bad you can always hop on the underground at the close by Vauxhall station and be within the center within the same amount of time or less.
We hope this wasn't too much of an issue and that you were still able to enjoy your stay. As for the rooms, we are improving many of our standard en-suite rooms at present with the hope that all our guests will enjoy a fresh and modern room with their visit to London.
We hope to see you again soon, and look forward to welcoming you back to Chelsea Guest House.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Generally I would say it was exactly what I expected, a budget room in a budget hotel, with shared bathroom. I think all too often people who complain should have paid more money, to either stay in the more expensive rooms (which their own feedback on this website refers to), or to stay in more upmarket hotel. I am not one of those people! By comparison, the next night I stayed in more expensive accommodation which I would say was worse all round (I had already booked this but needed an extra night beforehand at no notice, which is how I ended up at the Chelsea).

The only thing I mentioned to staff though is it really costs nothing to have a kettle in each room, even if you do not supply the tea and coffee to go with it. I arrived in the evening, and despite walking round the area for over half an hour I failed to buy a cup of coffee, only because I am vegan and wanted a decaff coffee with soya milk - there are plenty of places for normal coffee around. With a kettle I could have bought coffee and soya milk myself. This is a small thing but I told the hotel they should really consider it. They informed me they intend to complete improvements to the rooms by December, and this would include kettles in the basic rooms. They do genuinely care about feedback.

Having said that I intend to return in December and stay at the hotel, as it is conveniently sighted for where I want to be.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank maabell
Dear Maabell,
Thank you so much for this very positive review and for appreciating our work. As an independent hotel, we strive to listen carefully to what our guests say to maximize the quality of their stay, here at Chelsea Guest House we believe that the key factor to the business is you, our guests, so we use the constructive feedback to improve our services for you. You will be happy to know we have just finished work to improve several of our standard rooms and will continue forward with our work. We are looking forward to seeing you again in December so we can show to you all our fantastic improvements.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

A five to ten min walk from the tube station and right next door to McDonald's.
Beds were comfy enough but there was no tea making facilities.
There was renovation work going on when I stayed and I received an unwanted phone call at 07:30am asking me to move my car from where they asked me to park it the night before so they could empty the skip at 11am.
Clean enough from what I saw of it but the attic room gets warm and opening the windows lets in a lot of noise from McDonald's next door.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Chelsea Guest House. We have recently finished another round of renovations to our rooms, all towards improving the comfort of our guests. This means that our new rooms come with added features and comfort including tea and coffee making facilities.
We apologize for the inconvenience of the early phone call, this should have been avoided and we have taken this into consideration when we are directing people for parking in the future. On your next visit to London I’m sure we will be able to find you a quieter room and perhaps we can suggest an upgrade to a premium room which includes tea and coffee facilities and much more. Until then, we are happy to hear from our esteemed customers and share our ideas on Chelsea Guest House.
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Chelsea Guest House is clean, comfortable and basic. I stayed in a standard double room just for one night and it was ideal for my purposes. The receptionist was very helpful and friendly which impressed me. The room was a reasonable size for the price with a small bathroom and an excellent shower. (I've stayed in rooms just as small for a lot more!)
Location-wise, no you're not in the heart of London but what can you expect for the price? It's very easy to get to, a 5 min bus ride from Vauxhall tube.
In the evening, I walked to Clapham High St which was about 15 mins away and was a pleasant walk through residential streets.
I've taken one mark off for the hoovering done at 7am on Sunday morning! Having said that I would happily stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ronne
Chelsea Guest H... L, Public Relations Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Rone,

We love to read reviews that end with you telling us that you will stay again. Here at Chelsea Guest House, we try to offer the best customer service possible while keeping prices low and we are glad that you appreciate that. While we may not be a 5 star central London hotel, we do always strive to give a 5 star service where we can. We also believe that Clapham is an attraction point in itself, located just a few minutes away, while the rest of central and west London is accessible by a short bus ride. Both the walk to the High Street and the bus rides are a treat that we encourage all our guests to enjoy.
We will take up your point about early morning hoovering in our staff meeting and try not to have a similar issue come up again. We thank you for your feedback and hope that we will be able to impress you again on your next visit to London.

uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Spent a night here last week, on arrival we were greeted with a slightly flustered receptionist who had been trying to contact us en route as "something terrible" had happened in the room we where due to have, hearts sunk as you might imagine but the jolly nice chap proceeded to inform us that instead of the twin room we had booked we would now be moved to family suite with a double room and a twin room, better still we where also given a £30 discount!

The room was basic but very clean, there where no coffee making facilities or toiletries, the staff where very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, my only gripe was the actual location as it did not feel particularly tourist friendly however there was an overground station a few hundred yards away which allowed access to the underground etc.

That said I had a great nights sleep which was all I wanted.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank henrik1967
Dear Henrick1967,

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review and again apologise for the inconvenience of having to change rooms, however are glad that you were pleased with the alternative we offered. We are pleased to hear that the person in reception was helpful and jolly and would mention that the situation was a very rare one so we tried to over-compensate as we pride ourselves with excellent service
In terms of location, while there aren’t many attractions immediately nearby, we think this is an advantage, as the residential feel can be very calming after a long day of walking through the busiest parts of town. And since everything is only a bus or tube ride away, we feel we are ideally located for tourists looking to explore London.
We thank you once again for writing this review and hope to see if you again, this time without any emergencies, only the great service you’ve already seen.