“Cheap and cheerful”

Chelsea Guest House
Ranked #334 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 1, 2013

A five to ten min walk from the tube station and right next door to McDonald's.
Beds were comfy enough but there was no tea making facilities.
There was renovation work going on when I stayed and I received an unwanted phone call at 07:30am asking me to move my car from where they asked me to park it the night before so they could empty the skip at 11am.
Clean enough from what I saw of it but the attic room gets warm and opening the windows lets in a lot of noise from McDonald's next door.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelsea Guest H... L, Public Relations Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Chelsea Guest House. We have recently finished another round of renovations to our rooms, all towards improving the comfort of our guests. This means that our new rooms come with added features and comfort including tea and coffee making facilities.
We apologize for the inconvenience of the early phone call, this should have been avoided and we have taken this into consideration when we are directing people for parking in the future. On your next visit to London I’m sure we will be able to find you a quieter room and perhaps we can suggest an upgrade to a premium room which includes tea and coffee facilities and much more. Until then, we are happy to hear from our esteemed customers and share our ideas on Chelsea Guest House.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Chelsea Guest House is clean, comfortable and basic. I stayed in a standard double room just for one night and it was ideal for my purposes. The receptionist was very helpful and friendly which impressed me. The room was a reasonable size for the price with a small bathroom and an excellent shower. (I've stayed in rooms just as small for a lot more!)
Location-wise, no you're not in the heart of London but what can you expect for the price? It's very easy to get to, a 5 min bus ride from Vauxhall tube.
In the evening, I walked to Clapham High St which was about 15 mins away and was a pleasant walk through residential streets.
I've taken one mark off for the hoovering done at 7am on Sunday morning! Having said that I would happily stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ronne
Chelsea Guest H... L, Public Relations Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Rone,

We love to read reviews that end with you telling us that you will stay again. Here at Chelsea Guest House, we try to offer the best customer service possible while keeping prices low and we are glad that you appreciate that. While we may not be a 5 star central London hotel, we do always strive to give a 5 star service where we can. We also believe that Clapham is an attraction point in itself, located just a few minutes away, while the rest of central and west London is accessible by a short bus ride. Both the walk to the High Street and the bus rides are a treat that we encourage all our guests to enjoy.
We will take up your point about early morning hoovering in our staff meeting and try not to have a similar issue come up again. We thank you for your feedback and hope that we will be able to impress you again on your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Spent a night here last week, on arrival we were greeted with a slightly flustered receptionist who had been trying to contact us en route as "something terrible" had happened in the room we where due to have, hearts sunk as you might imagine but the jolly nice chap proceeded to inform us that instead of the twin room we had booked we would now be moved to family suite with a double room and a twin room, better still we where also given a £30 discount!

The room was basic but very clean, there where no coffee making facilities or toiletries, the staff where very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, my only gripe was the actual location as it did not feel particularly tourist friendly however there was an overground station a few hundred yards away which allowed access to the underground etc.

That said I had a great nights sleep which was all I wanted.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank henrik1967

Dear Henrick1967,

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review and again apologise for the inconvenience of having to change rooms, however are glad that you were pleased with the alternative we offered. We are pleased to hear that the person in reception was helpful and jolly and would mention that the situation was a very rare one so we tried to over-compensate as we pride ourselves with excellent service
In terms of location, while there aren’t many attractions immediately nearby, we think this is an advantage, as the residential feel can be very calming after a long day of walking through the busiest parts of town. And since everything is only a bus or tube ride away, we feel we are ideally located for tourists looking to explore London.
We thank you once again for writing this review and hope to see if you again, this time without any emergencies, only the great service you’ve already seen.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had two nights here. Staff were very helpful and the facilities were clean and well-presented. For £35 per night I had a single room with TV and ensuite shower and sink. Towel and bath mats provided. THe toilet was just around the corner in the corridor (in its own room, I hasten to add).

My room had a little wardrobe and the wifi worked fine. THe bed size was fine (I'm 6ft) and comfy. Admittedly I used ear-plugs each night; the guesthouse is on a main road so you can hear the traffic a bit.

On the whole, the place is clean, cheap and an utter bargain. Definitely one to check out if you're trying to keep costs down on a trip to England's capital.

Room Tip: Rooms not at the front of the building will probably be quieter, as there's a main road out fron...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Chelsea Guest H... L, Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of Chelsea Guest House. We appreciate our guests taking the time from their busy schedules to do this.
Our standard single rooms are, like you say, perfect for a single traveler, and excellent for keeping costs down for a visit to the capital. The WIFI is free across the entire hotel, and can be reached from all rooms, perfect for those traveling on business or for those who want to keep in touch with friends and family, or check-in on facebook.
Although some of our rooms do face the main road, we are continuing our refurbishment of rooms and all front facing rooms now have double glazed windows to keep out some of the road noise following feedback from our previous and returning guests.
I do hope your visit to London was a good one, and we do hope we will see you again soon.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Danielle Mort
Operations Manager

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Thinking of London been such as expensive city and comparing to what I've paid here, just over £50 per night, I can't really complain too much, but it is a bit of a let down to see the difference between the pictures they put online and what you actually get when you get there, so much different. The place is really nothing special, the rooms are quite small though clean enough to sleep alright, staff is friendly so that is a plus. Would I stay there again? probably not but as I said for what I paid in such as expensive city I am not sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Chelsea Guest H... L, Public Relations Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Aurilia,
Thank you for providing us with important feedback on your stay at Chelsea Guest House. We try and offer our guests a welcoming accommodation through our staff and services so we are happy that you appreciate their efforts. We also believe that we offer competitive prices for the hotel’s position near central London and local transport and the quality of the rooms. If you feel that you would be more comfortable in higher-standard rooms, we also offer premium rooms that come with higher end furnishing, brand new bathroom en-suites, beds and even more facilities in the room.
We hope that you will consider us on your next visit, and please do email us in advance so we can make sure you will receive the very best that Chelsea Guest House has to offer.
Customer Service

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is fantastic value this was my 5th stay, It is spacious even the single, clean and airy. It has great ammenities VERY close by including a Mcdonalds 20 yards away a store, bars and bookies. The location is a bit off the beaten path but doesnt bother me as it is such good value. Staff are fab.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Chelsea Guest H... L, Guest Relations Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Jim,
We appreciate your business and we hope that you will still choose Chelsea Guest House for
accommodation in London in the future, we work hard to give our guests reasons to come back and we’re so pleased that you find us the best in the area. We think that Wandsworth Road is a perfect place to start the day, whether you’re travelling to central London by bus or tube, or commuting to work from Clapham Junction. The immediate area also offers options for breakfast, like our recommendation Savoy Cafe, but is also a close walk to the vibrant Clapham High Street, for more bars and restaurants.
Thank you very much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Customer Service

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The only thing i can say which is positive about this place is the staff in reception, extremely polite and helpful. oh and one other, great for bus access to the city.

The hotel, where does one begin?? I had a twin room in the second building on the top floor, upon entering my room, after about 20 seconds i very nearly turned around to go back to reception, i actually thought the lights didn't work in the room, but they eventually they came on. The room was small, the small TV was mounted high above the wardrobe with a handful of basic channels to watch. the two single beds were very single, child size, and initially i chose the wrong bed to sleep in as the room is not of a standard shape and one of the beds (see photos) did not fit against the wall and i continually lost my pillows through the night. Not helped by a single glazed window that banged all night long in the wind!

The bathroom was cleanish, and for a building that promotes renovation i can honestly say the shower has been overlooked (see photos), a dirty shower head that is hanging off the wall.

Wifi, simply did not work!

Health and safety, 2 hoovers, separate floors hanging off fire extinguishers (see photos)

if this place was offering free rooms i think i would have to seriously think about staying here. My advice, look elsewhere first.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DC98
Chelsea Guest H... L, Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear DC98,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Guest House. I am very pleased to hear that you found our reception staff polite and helpful. One of our big commitments is customer service and ensuring our guests have all the knowledge and information they need to enjoy their visit to the capital city comfortably and can travel with ease. We appreciate you giving your thoughts on your stay. We are sorry that you did not seem to enjoy your room, and I would like to explain some of the issues you have mentioned.
The light bulbs we use in the guest house are energy efficient, therefore they do tend to be slower at brightening up, but we believe that majority of our guests will be happy that we are trying to constantly improve our energy rating and going green. All of our 23” flat screen TV's have the wide range of digital channels available so there is a channel to suit all tastes.
The windows have now been looked at by our maintenance team, and housekeeping have been briefed about the hoovers whilst they are working, as when they finish the hoovers are stored away. I am sorry that you did not come back to reception after finding these issues with you room, including the WiFi, as the receptionist or management could have tried to find a solution for you, as we are always looking to satisfy and exceed our customer expectations and their visits to our guest house.
As you found the standard en-suite twins to be unsatisfactory, we’d like to suggest our premium rooms that are more spacious and are newly renovated. These offer double glazing windows, Hypnos beds and brand-new modern showers and bathroom that might impress you. Finally, we’d like you to reconsider and visit us again in the future, so we can show you that we are always improving our establishment and we care about our guests and their comments.
Danielle Mort