“Best London Hotel I have stayed in”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #339 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Me? I'm a mere Teacher. I don't get to stay in 5* hotels in London so this was a very special treat. Writing as someone who is not rich or pwerful or high powered or gets to exprerience top class hotels, Grange St. Paul's was fantastic. Beautiful room that gave full view of St. Paul's Cathedral. The most comfiest bed I have ever been in (too bad it couldn't have fit in my bag as I would have knicked that along with the toiletries). Lush decor, fantastic and friendly staff.

The swimming pool and spa and sauna and steam room was a special treat. I felt like a King and was treated like one.

We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night. I love the city more than the West End, so this was the place to be.

Maybe if you're a big business executive you would take this hotel for granted, but for us it was luxurious heaven!

OK - the fire aarm went off at 2.30am because some naughty person was smoking somewhere, but that was kind of fun as well (not for my partner though who I discovered can swear like a trooper when woken by an alarm and flashing blue lights - but that is handy to know if I ever want to play policeman, so I am grateful to the Grange for even that! :-) ).

Lovely, lovely place. We have promised to return one day if the bank approves the loan.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RaggedTrouseredPhila
Write a ReviewReviews (4,409)

Reviewed March 6, 2011

I tink thw bedrooms and bathrooms were just superb, and although I had a view of a red brick building, I truly didn't mind as I only stayed one night and arrived back at the hotel somewhere around midnight so I wouldn't have appreciated it anyway.

The power shower was just amazing, I must have one of those fitted in my bathroom at home!

The hotel itself is very modern and oozes class, so personally I would recommend. Due to being in a quiet street it was alittle difficult to find a taxi in the morning but the concierge was so very helpful and found me one,

So good stay all in all and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Accountant_Glasgow
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Modern, stylish, impressive and comfortable hotel. Beds designed for comfort, modern and innovative bathrooms. Excellent fitness centre & pool.

Great location. A good choice in the City of London.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2011

The reception at the Grange was friendly and welcoming and the rooms are modern and well equipped. The gym and health club are first rate, with brand new equipment and all the bells and whistles. The pool was also excellent. Rooms are extremely quiet due to double glazing and the location, but you do need to sort out the air conditioning before you turn in.
The location is absolutely great.
There is a really good new shopping centre in Cheapside ( One New Change) and lots of restaurants in both the Paternoster Square area and at New Change - as well as over the 'formerly wobbly bridge' at Bankside to Tate Modern.
Tube from St Paul's gets you to either Oxford Street or Covent Garden.
Walk to the Museum of London.
Being so near, you can visit the Cathedral when its not so busy.
Go for evensong at 5pm and you can sit in the choir stalls! Amazing acoustics and atmosphere.
I would give the Grange five stars for service, but the cooked breakfast was one of those dried up buffets. The inclusive continental, however, was nice fruit, smoked salmon, boiled eggs, but the pastries were soggy.
The weekend 'pay in advance' rate is about right for the hotel and we would go again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Finding the right hotel in London isn't easy. There’s every chance these days that a 4 star hotel can be a little dog-eared and smell a bit like a sailor. So when we searched online, we only looked at five star hotels.

After reading lots of reviews and checking availability, the Grange St Paul's came out on top. One particular site with over 110 reviews for this hotel described it as fabulous - and gave it 8.7 out of 10.

We booked the room on the hotel's website. We were happy to pay the going rate for a hotel so highly praised. But it was a mistake.

Our room wasn't in the main hotel - the bit with the restaurants, bars, facilities etc. It was in another building, across a courtyard. Which, on a wet weekend, meant we got damp moving between the buildings.

The decor of the building we were in was... vanilla. Navigating the corridors you could have been in any travel lodge. The décor of our room was boring corporate - not the city chic we’d assumed from the pictures online. The bathroom was nice enough. Except the shower kept going from hot to cold - which was a bit unpleasant. Oh, and the noise of the room’s air conditioning was louder than a DC10.

Worst of all, though, was the level of service. And the breakfast.

The continental breakfast was included in the price. It was the usual fare - cereals, ham, cheese, bread and pastries. Unfortunately, the croissants - those little mini ones - weren't cooked all the way through. So they weren't very nice. And all the other pastries were stale.

We were asked twice - by the same waiter - if we'd like toast. And when it did come (20 mins later) it was cold. It also took three attempts to get a cup coffee. And when the waitress finally arrived, she was so nervous she poured it all over the table.

The staff (none of whom spoke English as a first language) seemed to be taking a fair bit of flak over the quality of the breakfast and the poor service. Which only made them more nervous - and more forgetful.

Everyone has a bad day, so I was hoping things would get better on day two. But they didn’t.

We were seated in a thoroughfare, which meant my seat was bumped ever few minutes by the waiting staff. They’d sat me there. But they weren’t prepared to find an alternative route. So they just kept barging through.

After 15 mins of waiting for a cup of coffee, I went looking for someone to help. When I asked the first waitress I saw if I could have some coffee, she raised her finger like a primary school teacher and told me to wait. She then gave instructions to another waitress in their native language. Then both of them walked away and left me standing there like an idiot.

It was at this point we walked out of the restaurant and bought breakfast in coffee shop.

I know the hotel management can reply on this site, and I’m sure they’ll explain (strenuously) that their staff are well trained, that their pastries are fresh and their croissants are always cooked through...

But those offering a service aren't as well placed to judge the quality of it as those receiving it. And during our stay, the quality was poor.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R0b44
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Good location - we were prepared for the area to be very quiet over the weekend but were pleasantly surprise to have quite a choice of eating places within walking distance. Rooms corporate style but comfortable, clean and well appointed. Staff pleasant and knowledgeable. Continental breakfast was included in our rate - would think twice about paying £23 for it!
This is not The Berkley or Halkin but a solid choice at very reasonable rates.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend city break and was very lucky to get the hotel on the Last Minute "Secret Hotel" deal. The hotel is literally 1 minute from St Pauls and just beside the bridge over to the Tate Modern and the South bank. The room quality was excellent with very comfy beds and goods pillows (one of my musts due to a bad neck).
We went on a room only basis which was not a problem as there is a Cafe Rouge right next door to the hotel for breakfast, which was considerably cheaper than the £25 the hotel wanted for breakfast !
Great location for sight seeing you have a tube station 5 minutes from the hotel and plenty buses than take you into the westend area.
Worth a stay if you get a good deal. Only quibble I would say is that they never had free wifi, which I think most good hotels provide as a matter of course.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends