“Smart, a little soulless but it's still being built!”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #326 of 1,063 Hotels in London
wiltshire
“Smart, a little soulless but it's still being built!”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

The hotel was`easy to find as it is located next to St Paul's. We were met by concierge, who were polite and helpful. Check-in was easy and we were upgraded to an 'executive' room as it was our first stay at that hotel.

The entrance, bar and lounge area were in a large glass atrium. It looked impressive but generally gave the communal areas a soulless feel. It was even stranger at night when the bar was a bizarre mix of suited, business conference types and leisure travelers.
Our room was a ground floor one that looked out on to the stylish atrium. Unfortunately that meant that the occupants of the atrium could also look back at us if we had the lights on and the curtains open.......or the builders could.
Builders? yes builders. They are still building the hotel. Not hordes of men in day-glow jackets, but enough to drill holes, bang things with hammers and saw up bits of wood , almost continuously between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
Our double room had one bedside table, one chair and one bathrobe, luckily for us the one bed it had was a double. Other niggles would be that housekeeping wasn't done until 4pm and tea/coffee supplies weren't correctly replenished. We could also hear the lift rumbling, when were were 2 bedrooms away from it!
In summary, we paid £100 pn, room only ( booked with last minute), there is no way we would want to pay more. It may be 5 star hotel but feels like a 5 star conference center, with little thought going into the lay out of rooms and facilities. Even I had to direct a 'lost guest' that wandering the corridor as I was leaving our room.
I'm sure there are better deals out there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Nice new hotel - always booked through lastminute. Have stayed >10 times since oipened. Staff still not up to the 5* quality, but great new high quality hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
ireland
Reviewed February 9, 2010

booked this hotel through last minute for half rate.Full rate overpriced. While the bedrooms are excellent with spacious and ultra modern bathrooms, the hotel itself is very clinical and lacks warmth and atmosphere. This, I feel, is due to the staff, who seem so involved with their own agenda they forget that their first priority is to the customer. After a delay finding our reservation we were informed we could not have a room until 2pm (despite emailing previously for a possible early check-in, as we were setting out at 5am, which wasn't even acknowledged). We were then left standing there with no recomendations or suggestions as to what we might do in the meantime being our first time in the city. A complimentary coffee offered in most 5 stars would have been a start. Instead the reception staff were dismissive and unfriendly and left us dissapointed. Also the next evening after sitting for half an hour in the lounge "where are the staff!" we decided to get room service. - However I found it difficult in general to choose a hotel in london the reviews being so extreme, but this hotel was clean and modern, had good transport links and was ideal for a short break. Try the authentic french cafe next door

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2010

It's a shame I have to write this review, because this is a very nice, modern and spacious hotel in a great location. I made a booking through expedia where I was given a total figure that I would need to pay at the hotel. When checking in I was told that I would need to pay that figure plus VAT (another 17.5%) plus an additional charge for paying via a maestro/debit card.
I book lots of hotels and have never had to pay more than the quoted rate. There was no ambiguity in the pricing and this is a very clear cut case of me being overcharged. The staff refused to accept my quoted price, despite being presented with my confirmation email. They suggested I contacted expedia after my stay (I did and they correctly told me it was the hotel who was at fault, not them)
When I emailed the hotel after my stay to try and rectify things I was again fobbed off - it would have been a lot easier to refund the incorrect charge rather than stubbornly try to argue that it was justified.
The additional charge for paying via a debit card was small, but ludicrous. Again, I have never heard of this.
FInally, several of my friends who were staying in the same hotel had long waits to check in due to mix ups. I understand it is a new hotel but these kind of mishaps put me off staying again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Peak District
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I took my mother to London as part of her 90th birthday celebrations which I mentioned on the booking form. At reception the manager personally welcomed us and accompanied us to our room. We used the brand new swimming pool in the morning and had a tour of the beauty suite which was very impressive. As we were going to enjoy a celebration lunch and didn't want to eat too much we found the local 'Simply Food' catered for our breakfast needs. Hotel very central, adjacent to St Pauls, milennium bridge and Tate Modern.

• Stayed February 2010
london
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Stayed at the Grange St. Pauls for a night for my partners 30th birthday, we booked through lastminute.com and only paid £89 for the night so were already pretty pleased.
From first entering the hotel I was happy, everything was clean and spacious, bellboys on hand straight away to take your bags and show you to reception. Lady at reception was very effiecient, couldn't find our booking straight away because it was so last minute but found it quickly.
The rooms are beautiful. They are kitted out to such a high standard, I could live in the bathroom, the shower is bliss! Bed a bit hard for me but thats personal preference. Comfy sofa in the room and flat screen with lots of channels.
Had a quick drink in one of the bars and yes it was expensive, about a tenner for a beer and a glass of wine but you are in a 5* hotel and you're in London Bridge so you'd be hard pushed to find much cheaper anyway.
Didn't eat in the hotel but the breakfast area looked lovely. Also didn't use the spa and pool but its definately on my list of things to try next time.
All in all a lovely trip and will be keeping an eye out on lastminute for such good rates again but would probably stretch to pay full price anyway. Loved it!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in January 2010. The hotel gives a great first impression, with the tall light tower, high ceilings, lots of glass, etc. The room was quite impressive as well: large size, excellent bathroom (especially the shower and toiletries). The closet was a bit a bit awkward.

Free internet was nice, although the signal wasn’t strong in the room (getting reception for mobile phones was also a challenge). After a few calls to the front desk (communication challenge #1), I was able to get an Ethernet cable – which I was informed would require me to pay a 20 GBP deposit that would be refunded if I brought the cable with me when I checked out. Hmm. Good thing I remembered the bring the cable with me when I checked out – even though I was a bit underslept after waking up to a 4am fire alarm for which I was unable to get an explanation (communication challenge #2).

Still, I had a pretty good experience at the Grange St. Paul’s. The rates were incredibly overpriced (205 GBP plus VAT), but if a discounted weekend rate were available, I’d probably stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business