“Overcharged me!”

Ranked #324 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Overcharged me!”
Reviewed February 9, 2010

It's a shame I have to write this review, because this is a very nice, modern and spacious hotel in a great location. I made a booking through expedia where I was given a total figure that I would need to pay at the hotel. When checking in I was told that I would need to pay that figure plus VAT (another 17.5%) plus an additional charge for paying via a maestro/debit card.
I book lots of hotels and have never had to pay more than the quoted rate. There was no ambiguity in the pricing and this is a very clear cut case of me being overcharged. The staff refused to accept my quoted price, despite being presented with my confirmation email. They suggested I contacted expedia after my stay (I did and they correctly told me it was the hotel who was at fault, not them)
When I emailed the hotel after my stay to try and rectify things I was again fobbed off - it would have been a lot easier to refund the incorrect charge rather than stubbornly try to argue that it was justified.
The additional charge for paying via a debit card was small, but ludicrous. Again, I have never heard of this.
FInally, several of my friends who were staying in the same hotel had long waits to check in due to mix ups. I understand it is a new hotel but these kind of mishaps put me off staying again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Peak District
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I took my mother to London as part of her 90th birthday celebrations which I mentioned on the booking form. At reception the manager personally welcomed us and accompanied us to our room. We used the brand new swimming pool in the morning and had a tour of the beauty suite which was very impressive. As we were going to enjoy a celebration lunch and didn't want to eat too much we found the local 'Simply Food' catered for our breakfast needs. Hotel very central, adjacent to St Pauls, milennium bridge and Tate Modern.

• Stayed February 2010
london
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Stayed at the Grange St. Pauls for a night for my partners 30th birthday, we booked through lastminute.com and only paid £89 for the night so were already pretty pleased.
From first entering the hotel I was happy, everything was clean and spacious, bellboys on hand straight away to take your bags and show you to reception. Lady at reception was very effiecient, couldn't find our booking straight away because it was so last minute but found it quickly.
The rooms are beautiful. They are kitted out to such a high standard, I could live in the bathroom, the shower is bliss! Bed a bit hard for me but thats personal preference. Comfy sofa in the room and flat screen with lots of channels.
Had a quick drink in one of the bars and yes it was expensive, about a tenner for a beer and a glass of wine but you are in a 5* hotel and you're in London Bridge so you'd be hard pushed to find much cheaper anyway.
Didn't eat in the hotel but the breakfast area looked lovely. Also didn't use the spa and pool but its definately on my list of things to try next time.
All in all a lovely trip and will be keeping an eye out on lastminute for such good rates again but would probably stretch to pay full price anyway. Loved it!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in January 2010. The hotel gives a great first impression, with the tall light tower, high ceilings, lots of glass, etc. The room was quite impressive as well: large size, excellent bathroom (especially the shower and toiletries). The closet was a bit a bit awkward.

Free internet was nice, although the signal wasn’t strong in the room (getting reception for mobile phones was also a challenge). After a few calls to the front desk (communication challenge #1), I was able to get an Ethernet cable – which I was informed would require me to pay a 20 GBP deposit that would be refunded if I brought the cable with me when I checked out. Hmm. Good thing I remembered the bring the cable with me when I checked out – even though I was a bit underslept after waking up to a 4am fire alarm for which I was unable to get an explanation (communication challenge #2).

Still, I had a pretty good experience at the Grange St. Paul’s. The rates were incredibly overpriced (205 GBP plus VAT), but if a discounted weekend rate were available, I’d probably stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sinaasappelsap
England/Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Our stay started off very frustrating with our room not being ready, then being sent to a room that was apparently in another wing of the hotel, not being given the 2 requested keys, having a key that didn't work and so forth. While we admit that it was strange to stay in a hotel that was only partly open (meaning you had to walk through quasi construction zones and so forth) our stay was inexpensive (especially for London) and the location was superb (serviced by 2 subway lines and a short walk to the Tate modern and south bank). Overall, the hotel has potential but hasn't yet reached it. After 3 days it started to grow on us but we would not have been satisfied if it were full price. The hotel claims it is 5 star, but doesn't quite have it right. While the bath products are very good, the tea is cheap (Typhoo tea in a 5 star, really?). The bell hops and spa/gym staff were very helpful and friendly (unfortunately we cannot say the same thing for the main desk). Plus, it was the most quiet hotel we have ever stayed in (very little street noise). Knowing what to expect, we'd stay here again at a reduced rate.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank geeketchic
NewYork
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I just returned from a three-night stay booked through lastminute.com, where I got a very good rate. Great location, large room and bathroom, great toiletries, but in no way a five-star hotel. Completely without character, but good finishes in the rooms. Reception is difficult to locate, no help offered with my bags, many of the staff have limited English, which makes communication difficult. No heat in the bathroom, which got very cold, there is a nice selection of tea offered in the room, but instant(!!!) coffee only, the temperature control is very complicated, intermittant noise from the smoke alarm, there was always a bag of laundry left in the hallway, only 2 lifts which were very slow. I needed to store my bag for a few hours on my last day and waited at least 5 minutes for the concierge to appear at the desk. There is still work going on in the hotel, and I nearly tripped over steel rods the crew had left in the middle of the lobby without any warning.
If I got the same rate again I would probably stay here in the future, but it's certainly not worth the standard rate.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Prague
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Clean and modern if rather soulless. Main problem was fire alarm in room issuing odd electronic noise at two-hour intervals, rather bothersome. Then alarm went off at 04.50 one morning. Staff pleasant but inadequate English and nothing done to address complaints.
Business Centre seemed usually closed, surprising for such a hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo