“Great city hotel”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #322 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We used this relatively new hotel as a one-night stop before a wedding at St Pauls (which could not be closer!) We booked ages in advance, so got a good deal. Everything about the place exudes class; it is spacious, with the hotel set out under a glass roof and the bar areas feel very roomy. The reception desk was very polite and quickly efficient, and our room was very nice indeed. The only quibble was that the tv was too small for the size of room. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and the shower, with its 3 point water jets, was luxurious. There was a bath too. It will be interesting to see how this hotel holds up as it gets older, but we will return if we can get a good price.
The hotel is one minute away from St. Paul's cathedral, 5 mins from St. Paul's tube and 5 minutes from Blackfriars tube. The financial district is 10 minutes walk away, the millennium bridge 2 minutes, and the Tate Modern 5 minutes across the aforementioned bridge.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Grange St. Paul's Hotel

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night only in July. Impressive centre display with the LED and glass lofts. I presume all rooms look down into the centre of the hotel, if not I would defiantly ask for one. It's impressive to look down from the 5th floor to the restaurant and bar area and the glass roof also brings in a lot of light. We used the spa, for some reason the gents lockers are free but the ladies need a pound coin. Spa facilities are very nice with the standard set up of pool, steam room, gym etc. we did not eat breakfast at the hotel as we felt the cost was somewhat expensive, especially with a cafe rouge 1 minutes walk.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed for two nights here. The room was lovely, very spacious and clean, good sized comfortable bed and fantastic shower. The only thing we were not happy with was the fact that the mini bar was computerised and we would be charged if anything was removed for more than 5 seconds, we couldn't even chill some water during the night even though it had been 28 degrees a day, really not a good service.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Booked the Grange at short notice at a very good discounted rate for one evening a Friday night.. On booking we had requested a quiet room and on check in we were offered an apartment a three minute walk from the main hotel. We arrived in a luxe but very petite room with views of historical London life and silence! The room had smart and stylish interior décor, a small kitchen area and a modern sparkling bathroom. Air con was effective and quiet. We used the room service quite late at night and were pleased with both the service and food. We did not venture into much of the main hotel but enjoyed our discreet, compact and glamorous city stopover.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet, discreet spot (and can do compact ! ), you could request a room in the 9 build...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having been called to London at short notice, I was naturally concious of the difficulty of finding a good booking at a reasonable rate... My fiancee and I booked a room at the Grange St Pauls for 3 nights and knew very little about the hotel.

After 24 hours at the hotel, in a beautiful and relaxing room - further to receiving excellent customer service from the Head of Customer Relations, Nigel: Enjoying the fantastic location (right next to St Pauls) and the top class food and drinks (try the cocktails!); I can categorically state that The Grange St Pauls is amongst the best value 5* hotels in London (a city where the rating does not guarantee the quality nor the customer service...)

Give it a try and you will not be disappointed ;-)

Room Tip: View of St Pauls is amazing - so book early
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ND1977
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed here last weekend with my mother and when we arrived we were checked in very quickly. our twin room was very spacious with two double beds, everything was spotlessly clean. The hotel is very slick and stylish and there's a choice of bars to choose from. The location was great only yards from the cathedral. I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here previously on a business trip; this was about a year and a half ago and I very much liked this hotel. This time I returned with the family; we had booked two rooms. But we were in for a few surprises…

The first surprise was the 20 minute queue at check-in, just to be told rooms weren’t ready and we had to come back an hour later. After we came back and stood for another 15 minutes in the same queue, we were given the same answer again: rooms weren’t ready; it was almost 4pm… I made it clear I wasn’t going to queue a third time and asked if I could already be given the keys, but the response was “no sorry our procedure doesn’t allow this”… after long discussions I asked a manager to be called. After more long discussions with the manager, she and the employee left for about 10 minutes. The employee then came back, obviously unhappy, and we were finally given the keys to our two rooms, without a word of excuse, without a welcome or any of the usual explanation one would expect about location of the room, breakfast hours, available facilities etc…. This didn’t make a very good first impression for sure.

The second surprise was that, the following morning, we had to queue again for the elevators, and queue once more to be seated for breakfast, and then queue yet another time at the buffet to get our food… The huge breakfast room was packed so densely with tables that it was difficult to circulate between the tables. Our table cloth was stained. It was very noisy. It took huge efforts to attract the waiters’ attention in order to be served coffee. The whole ambiance of the place was that of a factory canteen, or at best that of an all-inclusive holiday club on the Costa Brava, but definitely not that of a 5-star hotel in London.

More lousy service was to be had at the two bars in the evening, where totally indifferent waiters were showing no interest whatsoever to come and take our orders.

A further, major disappointment came from the rooftop terrace, which I considered to be a highlight of this location but is, I was told, reserved throughout the whole summer for private parties! Not very nice to not let your own guests benefit from the best spot in the hotel!

This being said, not everything was bad, and this hotel definitely has qualities which made me come back. First and foremost is its prime location by St Paul’s. Next is the quality of the rooms. Our two rooms were very nice, spacious, bright and clean, with large bathrooms with marble floor and walls, and included a tub and a separate shower cabin. They had outside views as we had requested. The rooms had safes, iPod docking stations, flat-screen TV; slippers and bathrobes were provided, and were replaced every day. The only complaints I have about the rooms were first, as indicated in my previous review, the presence of a totally weird A/C control, which is not truly thermostatic and only allows to control temperature in “plus and minus” steps… and second the presence of an automatic minibar that charges you automatically as soon as you touch something.

One interesting aspect to mention about this hotel is that, as soon as the week-end was over, the queues and the crowds were gone and it all got much better, although it also got more expensive.

I shall also point out that I had booked long in advance through the internet, and I benefited from a very good deal. If you can get such a good deal here, and if you manage to avoid the hectic periods which get this hotel into a mess, and if in addition you don’t care too much about the quality of the service, then it’s a valid option.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family