“An expensive mistake”

Ranked #324 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Adelaide
“An expensive mistake”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Try finding the pool at this hotel! Good luck! Nowhere could I find a sign that directed me to the pool so I guessed it would be downstairs somewhere. I stumbled into laundry rooms and large empty party rooms before realising (of course!) I should walk through something called the disco room and open an unmarked door at the other end. I'm sure there's an easier way to get to the pool and hey! a sign in the lift would solve the problem. When I finally reached the pool, I was delighted at the size although it was crowded when I visited.
The pool was the main reason I chose this hotel and the second reason was location. As for my room .... it was spacious enough but overlooked the hotel foyer (no windows as such) so it was a case of keeping the room dark for the sake of privacy. Not worth hundred's of pounds a night!
Oh and the minibar! Beware if you leave the door open for more than a few seconds as you peruse the contents and oh dear ... actually lift an item from its container. You'll be charged for it whether you use it or not. I found a slab of half-eaten cake in my fridge so had to call for its removal and had the porter note that a drink was missing lest I be charged for it. Slack housekeeping!
My other disappointment was the lack of wifi in the hotel room. This is an expensive hotel so a decent computer connection is expected.
Furthermore, I never felt welcome at this hotel. I've read similar comments on TripAdvisor and wondered if the guests had perhaps been difficult... but I found the concierge arrogant and patronising without provocation. In fact I was sunny and cheerful!! Why did I need his help? The internet access in the foyer was troublesome!
Finally, I left my computer cable behind in my room and had to return a day later to reclaim it. I waited over half an hour for it to be located. It had been delivered to the concierge rather than to Lost Property.
Overall, this hotel was well below expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked this via Lastminute.com as a 'secret hotel' and weren't disappointed. We were upgraded to an executive room on the top floor with a view of St Pauls and stayed in the lap of luxury. Some minor problems (e.g. me forgetting the number I'd keyed in for the safe!), were quickly resolved by the friendly and efficient staff. Ideal location for St Pauls, naturally, but also for the Millenium Bridge over to the South Bank and easy reach to the West End, Covent Garden and Bloomsbury for the British Museum. Lovely pool area was a bonus for a London hotel - would definitely be our first choice if we stay in London again.

Room Tip: Rooms to the left of the lift and higher up have a view of St Pauls, through the gridded roof. If yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here in October for 1 night hotel.spa break via lastminute.com top secret hotel. Really modern lovely looking hotel great location. Spa was amazing except for the hamam where I was given the treatment and scrub to do myself (?). It should not be called a hamam treatment in that case, should be called steam room! The facial and massage were brilliant though. Not the hotel's fault as the spa is separate. Enjoyed the Benihana restaurant - great food and service and not bad prices for London. Can't say that about the bar prices in the hotel but hey, this is London. A really nice stay, ultra-modern hotel, clean and "cool", enjoyed our hotel/spa break.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A very clean, spacious room with a fantastic view of St Paul's. This hotel was very informal, the staff were very courteous and attentive and the breakfast - whether you had the continental or English upgrade - was very delicious and fresh. The lifts were very busy, as is the case at 9am on a Saturday morning in any hotel, but there are extra lifts on the side of the building which were empty and no queue at all. I have stayed at the Grange Tower Bridge in the past, which is also a great hotel, but this one is better and fantastic value for money. The pool and spa was very busy, but the gym seemed to have all the machines you would need. The location is brilliant, especially if you are atttending an event in the City as we were, and I will definitely use this hotel again. Just great!

Room Tip: Rooms which are on the front of the hotel have incredible views of St Paul's cathedral.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here for a 3-night short break in half term with our two sons (8,6). The hotel is very modern, with all the facilities we required in a central location.

Whilst admittedly this hotel is not would you may consider a traditional 5 star luxury hotel in the old-fashioned sense, it suited us as a family. What I mean by that is that the staff are not falling over themselves to serve you, which makes us feel uncomfortable anyway, but may fall short of your expectations if you are accustomed to such hotels.

The room was a little small, but had everything we needed. Yes, as previous reviews have commented, the curtains had to be closed quite often (especially as we were next to the lift!) due to the floor to ceiling windows. However, this is also an advantage. In view of the fact that our room overlooked the hotels central atrium it was immensely peaceful (even at the end of the corridor) and we were completely unaware of any external traffic or other noise ... Nice bathroom, with a seperate bath and good shower.

The breakfast, although continental-only (could upgrade to English for £8 if desired), was plentiful, with a wide choice of meats, cheeses, fruit, pastries, cereal etc.etc. Even on a very busy Sunday morning, the quality didn't falter.

The location is fantastic, more or less right next to St Pauls, and almost halfway between St Pauls, Blackfriars and Mansion House underground stops, which gives you plenty of flexibilitiy. It is also within 2-minutes walking distance from the 'One new change' centre, with shops and restaurants. We didn't eat at the hotel as we felt that the options were quite limited, and (unsurprisingly) overpriced, and there was more than enough choice locally.

The spa is great, with a good-sized pool (nice temperature too), sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and laconium all free for guests. The only (!) complaint I would have about the pool area is that there is insufficient seating area for those who don't want to swim or if you just fancy relaxing at the pool-side with a magazine/newspaper for example. It would also be helpful to have some hooks or somewhere to store towels at the poolside, as the very limited seating space which is available is used for this purpose.

Overall, an excellent stay and I would fully recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Good hotel close to st Paul's Cathedral. Modern and design. Nice spa and fitness. Small bathroom with a malfunctioning shower. Maybe the lastminute offer? We avoided the restaurants as they were not very welcoming.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Ericpj
Bristol
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Lovely hotel with fantastic spa facilities. Unfortunately, the pillows weren't feather and the air conditioning is hard to reduce the temperature. Excellent room service when the restaurant was full. Close to St Paul's tube. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012