“Charming apartment, wonderful hosts.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Griffin House Holiday Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Griffin House Holiday Apartments
Ranked #59 of 827 Specialty Lodging in London
rota
“Charming apartment, wonderful hosts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We had the garden apartment and found it to be clean, tastefully decorated, cozy and private. Our hosts Ben and Nic were charming and gave our family a warm welcome, even bringing fresh eggs from their hens. Barney was a big hit with our daughters, Ben gave us some great restaurant recommendations and the location allowed convenient access to the underground and a quick ride to all we wanted to see and do while in London. Having children, we particularly appreciated the full kitchen and well stocked Market directly across the street for cooking staples. We will definitely stay here again if we have the opportunity. Thanks Ben and Nic!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank steffian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Found this gem in South London. I recommend this accommodation highly. Clean and quiet. Sits on a side street off Stockwell. Just a couple minutes walk from Stockwell Tube Station. Also up the street is Bus #2 that takes you to the tube or directly to Victoria Station.(which is not a bad ride) What can I say about the hosts Ben & Nic. Everything I have read prior to my trip is definetly true. Two great guys with great personalities and extremely friendly. Made you feel very welcomed. We arrived early from our week stay in Ireland. The room was not quite ready but they were more than happy to hold our bags and even took them up to our room when it was ready. They also lent me an umbrella which I neglected to bring. Never had to use one in London on previous trips however weather was not very cooperative. My hsuband and I stayed in the Upstairs apartment. Very roomey and received plenty of natural light even though it was overcast the whole time we were there! Can sleep up to four but with two of us, there was plenty of room. The bathroom was spacious with a sklylight. Nice touch. It was also nice to have a full service kitchen to cook some meals instead of eating out every night. There is a convenience store right across the street usuallu open in the eve nings until 8p. If you like animals they have two wonderful pets dog-Barney and their cat Filou. My husband is a cat lover, but we loved playing with both of them. Barney would meet us at the door when we would arrive back at the apartment. Some comments have been made about the neighborhood. I can assure you it is quite safe. It is a multi-ethnic area, and being from San Francisco, it was like being a home. Those of you who come from small quieter towns let it be known it's safe. As with traveling anywhere, you should keep your wits about you.. At night take a taxi home as we did on our late nights out in town. For my Gay brothers and sisters, this was a peace of heaven away from all the hubub of centreal London. Vauxhall, just a 10 minute walk from the apartment or one stop from Stockwell Tube was vey convenient. All the club, bars and everything you may want to do in Vauxhall. It's great area for some nighttime fun. Especially for the boys!!! If anyone likes the hominess of B&B's with space to spread out in. This place is for you. We are planning our next trip and we will definitely be back. Thanks again to Ben & NIc for a very memorable stay in London. Keep up the good work

Room Tip: 3rd Floor apartment very spacious and sunny! More than enough room for two people can sleep up to 4...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bob B
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I nearly didn't book this place because of the negative review but boy oh boy am I glad I did! Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions but this is what awaited us:
Really friendly, lovely hosts.
A spotless, pleasant smelling apartment.
A comforting, lovely home from home feeling (the place has character and the hosts have thought of everything!)
Very spacious; making it excellent value.
Two very comfy beds.
A stunning garden (esp for London - as others have said).
And if you get the chance to meet Barney and Filou DO; they're gorgeous (I wanted to bring Barney home with me :])

Thank you so much for your incredible, 5-star, ultra thoughtful hosting!

I couldn't recommend this place highly enough.. I just hope it's available next time I stay in London.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank LaylsUk
griffinhouseowner, Owner at Griffin House Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely things you said about Griffin House, we're so glad you enjoyed your stay here. It was an absolute pleasure to host you and we hope to see you again soon!
Feldkirch, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

we have been to this great place for the third time now.
what can i say - its feels like coming home into your own apartment in london.

ben and nic are absolutly the best - warm, welcoming, helpful and much much more.

i especially enjoy the fact, that after a long day in the city, you can take
advantage of the kitchen, and have a nice meal together, or just take the
night off and watch some telly in the living room.

loved the garden as well - great to unwind, enjoy the sun, and just having a good time.
also loved playing with barney and filou.

can't wait to come back.
all thumbs up, a fabulous place to be.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank alexander_uk_1985
innsbruck
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

London is always worth a visit. If you decide to go there we can definitely recommand you this accommodation.

First of all we have to say that the owners are just awesome - friendly, helpful, obliging, funny etc. ... we have had such a great time together :) ... and I don´t want to forget Barney, their dog, he´s one of a kind.

We stayed at the garden apartment. It has it´s own entrance and you can get directly to the garden. I can not describe the beauty in words, but the colours and flowers make you feel like being in the middle of a tropical rain forest. They raise figs, kiwis, tomatos etc. and the breakfast egg comes directely from their hens :)

The apartment has two very nice bedrooms, a well-appointed kitchen, a bathroom and a livingroom (flat TV) and you find everything what you need. Especially the availability of free WLAN was important for us. They score with cleanness, nice equipment and the factor of "feeling home".

The apartment is situated in a quite area. A supermarket is just opposite the apartment and you can reach the next tubestations (Clapham or Stockwell) within five minutes. In Clapham you will also find several bars/pubs and restaurants. We can recommand "strada" - its an italian restaurant ... very good.

You can easily reach the center of London ... 4-5 tubestations ... it will take you approximately 15-20min.

We want to thank Ben&Nic for an unforgettable time and we will definitely come back next year.

xx
J.+K.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julian_Schmid
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Firstly, I have to make known the exceptional level of profesionalism shown by both Ben & Nic, these 2 really know how to make you feel at home and part of their family!

We stayed in both apartments and both were truly amazing, the garden apartment was personally our favourite of the 2; the AMAZING TUB in the upstairs was a truly welcome surprise!.

Location and the area were great, Stockwell tube was no more than a 5 minute walk away and both Brixton and Clapham high streets were no more than 10 minutes on foot. Getting to ANY MAJOR attraction was absolutely no problem at all.

In regards to the complaints about the animals, we found both Barney and Filou to be extremely respectful and did not enter either apartment once whilst we were there. We were warmly greeted each morning outside by Filou and having Barney around assuaged our missing our little guy here at home.

Due to comfortability and warmth that we received, we will definately be staying again in the future and have no problems recommending them to anyone of our friends and relatives travelling to London

Room Tip: Either apartment is amazing. I would say that the Garden apartment is more convenient for families a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gay2some
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I began looking for places to stay in London a year or so ago and after much research I decided on staying at the Griffin House.
I had the Garden Apartment which was amazing- lots of room, a private entrance, and kitchen area to cook in- who could ask for anything more?
Griffin House is easy to find(I needed to learn how to read a map) and very convenient to bus and tube lines. Save yourself some time and get your Oyster Card( used for all mass transit in London) before you leave to London.
When we got there, Nic was there to greet us but we got a chance to meet both Nic and Ben and both were the perfect hosts. Both were extremely helpful to me- I got pickpocketed in Paris on a day trip and if it was not for them offering to help me , I would have wasted a lot of time looking for office stores to fax and email needed forms and documents. I don't really see a hotel offering this type of help. For this I will always be eternally grateful.
We found eggs, milk, tea, and fruit upon our arrival which was kindly welcome and unexpected.
There was a supermarket across the street which made it an easy and quick shop to get additional groceries.
In between the rain showers, we were able to take advantage of the garden area in the back - just beautiful. Also got to meet Barney and cat- I have both at home so it is always good to see pets around!
The sleeping areas were nice and the the temperature was very nice which allowed us to open windows as such and enjoy the nice breeze.
The wireless internet was also welcome- we had phones that did not receive calls in Europe but had wi-fi access and were able to keep in contact thru email, instant messaging and Skype.
For the price , I think this place is a hidden gem.
We loved it so much, we are planning to come back next year for 2 weeks.
I would definitely recommend advise booking long in advance as I know they are full most of the time.

Room Tip: I prefer the Garden unit as it has its own entrance but you cannot go wrong with either.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple