“You may trust James Bond but not 005 !!”

Shaftesbury Hyde Park International
Ranked #300 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“You may trust James Bond but not 005 !!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

I started off booking this room by phoning the hotel group, then I realised that it was more "cost effective" to join there Premier club rewards as you get a further 10% off and automatic upgrade when possible. I booked a Deluxe double room thinking it would be a tad better than the Travelodge I usually go for in London, I also added to the booking I would prefer a bath to a shower as my partner is disabled.

We got to the hotel very easy, it has good access to transportation (Bus & tube) and was in a nice area we entered the reception which was very modern and clean.

We then got given our keys and from the start the manager was apologising for the room we were to be given as they were very busy that weekend he said it wasn't possible to upgrade to a club room, We were given our keys and proceeded to our room 005. On entering I was gob smacked to say the least, the room was the smallest I have ever stayed in, the bedroom and bathroom (had a shower not a bath) were no bigger than my front room, which isn't that big !! I do not know how they could call it deluxe, on a positive note it had all the facilities that I would expect in any hotel, ok there was an ironing board in the room in the wardrobe but where you would have erected it I do not know, the lighting in the room was very poor

We opened our cases well I say open but there was no room to fully open the case and walk by. The room was cold even though the temperature of the air con was set to 30. My partner was frozen and I checked the air con it was set to cooling and you could not change to heating. I complained and one of the staff rushed behind the screen at the reception and changed a setting and the when I got back the display on the Air con had changed to heating. the room did heat up but was really noisy and kept us awake.

Now the next thing with this room was the bed, this room as I booked it was a deluxe double the bed was definitely not, it was slightly larger than a single but not much I don't class myself as large and my partner is not large either but that night to sleep we had to cuddle up very closely else one move one of us would had been pushed out of the bed, Warwick Davis' and his wife would have struggled to sleep in that bed !! It also didn't help that the window was an old sash window not even double glassed and very leaky my partner complained of a bad neck, when we had a closer look and found mould and peeling wallpaper behind the curtains.

We went for breakfast (having to wait as the restaurant was busy) we went down into the basement down steep stairs the breakfast was ok nothing special and there were no hash browns (one of my favourites). Ok they had had a bit of a rush before we got there but they should still ensure that there were enough food for everyone, the tables looked like they had bought them for a coffee shop and not a dinning room.

I then went to the reception and complained about the room, I was told we would get upgraded but the room would not be ready until 2pm, We went back to our room to get ready to go out sight seeing as we walked back into the reception we were told our new room was ready early, we received the keys and proceeded to the 4th floor.

The rooms were like chalk and cheese, the club room was what I expected of a normal 4 star hotel room, luckily the air con had been set to heat not cold and was working. We left for the day and went out sight seeing.

We slept well that night but I was off to an event that day so my partner stayed in the hotel as she was still tired from Friday night lack of sleep. I left the do not disturb sign on the door thinking that we did not need service. When I got back she said she had been disturbed and someone had tried to enter the room, she also had two phone calls on the room phone asking if she wanted the room serviced which after leaving the do not disturb sign on the door handle I would not have expected.

We slept then went for breakfast the next day, I went and complained about the intrusion into our room and recapped the issues we had with the hotel the house keeping manager said no one had entered the room. the manager was embarrass and said that they had not reached the standard that was expected. I went back to the room and finished packing and we relaxed before leaving, again someone tried to enter the room without knocking even though the sign was on the door and we were nowhere near the vacating time. We went down to the reception and once again complained, the manager was very apologetic and we received compensation, we were given a discount, a bottle of wine and they arranged a taxi to the railway station that turned out to be a Limousine.

I don't like to give bad reviews, I much prefer to give glowing reviews of places when the service is good, In general the service we received at the hotel was really good but the room on the first night spoilt our break.

Subsequently my partner has found her GHD hair straightener's have gone missing when she unpacked her case at home. She had not used them that weekend, there is no point in trying to blame anyone as there is a sign in the room stating you are responsible for the safe keeping of your own property, I have never in all my years of traveling had anything stolen.

To sum up don't let them fob you off with room 005 and read all the other reviews on here, I will not be looking to book this hotel again I will be going back to the Travelodge for my trips to London in the future, I could have saved £100 going to Travelodge even booking up only a few weeks before. I just thought I would book a nice 4 star hotel I now wish I had not.

I have given it a poor rating and not terrible as I get the feeling the front facing staff wanted to give customers a really good service and did care, all this hotel needs it to change the rooms like 005 to single rooms and ensure that the rooms are in good condition, as I have said they have a great location but the finish of our room let them down.

Room Tip: If you are a couple don't let them fob you off with room 005, If you have problems complain to t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peterboro_traveller
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.
We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve in futur

Kind Regards

dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Great with personnel who just solve issues that arise, all personnel I met in this hotel just exceeded my expectations. I was relocated to this hotel from their sister-hotel, due to the inconvenience I got an upgrade.

Neat, clean and a great location.
Also had an iron/ironing board, very valuable when on business trips.

Can recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback following your recent stay with us at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind words to my team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests receive only the best in customer excellence.

i hope we shall be afforded the opportunity of welcome you back and please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I was staying in rm no 203 for 4 days.Staff at the hotel are very hospitable specially Mr Mandar Dhage and his entire team.Location of the hotel is excellent. Hyde park is just 3 min walking distance , baywater tube station is precisely 1 min from the hotel. So I believe the connectivity is excellent . The area is very peace full. There are indian restaurants and other type of cuisine are available at a walking distance . Excellent location.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

We all team were glad that your special comment about central location. .

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Shaftesbury hyde park international one of the finest hotel in bayswater area. we got a very good deal over the internet, it was my first visit to international hotel but definitely we will book this lovely hotel once again without any 2nd thought.

it is our first review on trip advisor. we would like to recommend this hotel for excellent co-operation from all level. staff is extremely polite and professional. breakfast is very delicious and special pancakes are mouthwatering. young receptionist victoria recommended couple of sightseeing tours which really helps to know london very closely.

it was a wonderful stay. hopefully we will return soon.

Room Tip: please contact front desk for information. front desk is very friendly
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to see that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us at the hotel finding it well located for your trip to the city. I was particularly pleased to hear your comments regarding the service from the team and I have passed my thanks to them for making your stay an enjoyable one.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.

Kind Regards,

Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

This is my second stay at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park, and like the first time, it was a very pleasant one. The staff was very polite and helpful. The room sizes are quite small, but I guess this is the standard in London. On the second day, I was upgraded to a club room, which is quite larger that the standard ones. It is located very conveniently, just across the Bayswater underground station.
Wireless internet is complementary and in all rooms, and the hotel has a modern look.
Will definitively stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

We all team were glad that your special comment about central location. .

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Had a one night stay in March which my partner had booked as a surprise. She had booked a 'deluxe double room'. On checking in we were allocated a room and as soon as we got in there we were disappointed. The room was small...but the bed was TINY! It wasn't even a double! I don't see how they can advertise the bed in this room as a double as it quite clearly isnt! I'd be surprised if it was a 3/4! There's no way a couple could sleep comfortably in it. I have read previous reviews as im sure the manager has, so why do they continue to put 2 people in these rooms?! If we had bought a room advertised as not having a double bed in it, I would have had no complaints. ...However this was not the case!

In fairness to the hotel, when I complained and pointed out my issues, they moved us straight away to one of the 'club' rooms. This was much better and was actually a really nice room. Very clean, great rain shower and bathroom amd nicely decorated. If I was marking it on this room alone I would have given the hotel 5 out of 5. Another plus point is the great location of this hotel, hyde park just up the road and easy tubes into the very centre of London.

So, thank you for moving us to this much better room but PLEASE STOP putting people in rooms without a double bed when a double bed is what they have paid for! It isn't right and some people who might not like to complain will leave the hotel feeling disappointed and will write a much worse review and score than I have left!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hmsy59
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve in future.

Kind Regards

Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had a most enjoyable stay in Shaftesbury Hyde Park International. It would not have been possible without wonderful hotel staff. Hotel has a very wonderful lobby with fresh flowers at front desk. We must say that staff is very professional and got very good knowledge about area. We got many recommendation for tour, restaurants. Wow
Room size bit small but it's spotless clean. Breakfast was plentiful. We will definitely visit and recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

I was very pleased to hear that you stay with us was an enjoyable one. I agree the hotel is well located for visits to London offering ease of access to the City and beyond and the team were delighted to hear your kind comments regarding the service that we provide.

I hope that we have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards,