“Small!”

Shaftesbury Hyde Park International
Ranked #294 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was my first visit to the hotel for a 2 night business stay. The location is great, close to 2 tube stations. There lots of shops and places to eat nearby. (I highly recommend the Indian restaurant called Masala Zone, about 10 mins away).

There is only one word that sums up this hotel: small!

Positives:
1. Friendly staff and generally efficient.
2. It's clean (including the room) with a comfy bed.
3. Good quality food for breakfast.
4. Free wifi in the room and its fast! Impressive.

The negatives:

1. I had a double room on the 3rd floor. For one person it was acceptable but tight at times. Especially the ensuite! In my opinion, 2 people sharing that room would find it a struggle.
2. Sound proofing wasn't great in my friends room near the lift.
3. Limited choice of food for breakfast.

It's trying hard to be a 4* hotel but struggles in some places. If you don't mind a small room and you get a good price for it, then it's worth staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for taking time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International. i was delighted that you enjoyed entire stay in Shaftesbury Hyde Park International. as i always do i have passed on your lovely words to my teamwho take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guest s only receive the best in service.

please accept my sincere apology regarding room size. this is an victorian style building where some of the rooms are compact then others.

In order to make things right I would like to make amends towards your past experience. As a gesture of goodwill we would like to offer complimentary upgrade to for your next vist to Shaftesbury Hyde Park International.

Mandar Dhage.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here for one night on 6th November. I had a Club Double room which although small was perfectly adequate and had a spotless and modern bathroom. The hotel is very conveniently situated for the tube network and within short distance of Hyde Park. The staff were helpful, friendly and courteous. Look, this is not the Dorchester and they don't pretend to be, so stop moaning. It's a good hotel at an attractive rate.

Room Tip: The double bed in my club room was standard rather than king size - not a problem for me as I was on...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest thank you so much for your positive feedback.

For us is very important to know how our guest's feel, as our entire team is working very hard to achieve higher percentage of guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team & your motivating & encouraging feedback will act as a benchmark for us to maintain at all times.

Once again, thank you very much for your time & we look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

At any future visit to our hotel feel more than welcome to contact me on the below email address,so I can arrange your stay.

With Regards

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days in November i done the booking through Booking.com after i arrive to the hotel , Welcomed by Mr.Mandal Reservation staff very cooperative and nice person. Good Location,Small rooms but comfortable.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 8 nights. Rooms are very small, tidy but smelled badly from chemical cleaning materials. Walking barefoot on carpet would leave coating chemicals on your feet. Breakfast should be avoided at all cost. 12£ for a really lousy quality. Machine coffee and watered juice when just 10£ at Bella Italia round the corner will give you a decent meal with fresh juice and good coffee.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your detailed comments about your recent visit. We are sorry to hear that your stay was less enjoyable. We always aim to provide the best of services and it dissapoints us that we failed to do so.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our premises if you wish to give us another chance to make it up to you.

please accept my apology regarding small room this is an victorian style building where some of the rooms are compact then others.

please accept my apology regarding breakfast quality. we will make sure we improve the breakfast quality in nearest future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had a reservation for 6 nights at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park, but when I arrived I was told that the hotel was overbooked "due to a problem with the reservation system" and I was transferred to the Shaftesbury Notting Hill (see separate review). After reading multiple other reviews reporting the same problem, it seems that overbooking is systematic.
After spending two nights at the other hotel and complaining to Booking.com, I was offered an upgraded room here.
The hotel is very well located, one block away from Kensington Gardens and a 5-min walk from two different subway stations. WiFi is included. Beds are comfortable. This is room had a good size bathroom with excellent water pressure in the shower.
There are also some drawbacks:
1) Noise from street (late night parties) and from adjacent rooms (thin walls, squeaky floors); overall poor sleep quality.
2) Safe too small for laptop.
3) Mediocre breakfast with poor selection.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

We all team were glad that your special comment about central location. same time please accept my sincere apology regarding your room was noisy. please email me your booking detail to investigate the matter and tackle the issue in best appropriate manner.

dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com

Reviewed November 3, 2013

For the price the hotel was adequate. The staff were excellent. We were upgraded but the room was very small, though had everything we needed. The bathroom fan was noisy all night and the bed was too short for my husband. Breakfast was nice. Want to emphasise best thing about the hotel was the staff

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

please accept my sincere apology regarding room size and noisy fan inside the bathroom.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great. I often stay near Hyde Park or Notting Hill as I lived there for 5 years and like to easily see friends and be in a familiar location. On top of that its easy to get to all the touristy sites - which was definitely on my mind as I was bringing the girlfriend over from America for her first UK trip.

The hotel was great. They looked after my stuff for a few hours as my room wasn't ready, had good papers for me to read (I always like that), was very clean, AMAZING shower (best I've ever had in a hotel in London and that's always important to me) and a very comfortable bed.

The only thing I'd tell the hotel to improve (which I did) would be to take it easy on the pledge wood cleaner in the room. With so much wood in there (not a crude joke) the over cleaning meant that it was an overwhelming smell. I appreciate it was clean but at first I could not breathe. Left the windows open the whole time.

Overall, this was a great little place and I will definitely be rebooking for January.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a good review for Shaftesbury Hyde Park international. we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that the quality of service you experianced met with your expectation.we too look forward to being able to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to London

please accept my apology for inconveniance caused regarding bad smell inside the room. Please be advised we have taken the feedback seriously and are working out with the Housekeeping department manager of the hotel to tackle the issue.

With Regards