“Excellent stay”

Shaftesbury Hyde Park International
Ranked #293 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 27, 2013

It is my second stay. The staff of the hotel has made the difference - being available, understanding and flexible to customer's needs. The position of the hotel is strategic because of the very close proximity to two underground stations. The rooms are clean - size is in line with English business standards (a bit small) - so are the bathrooms, recently renovated.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Patricia R, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for your recent visit to London. We really appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury HydePark International.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I like the Shaftesbury chain. Small but well-appointed rooms, friendly staff, good locations. So the only negative comment I have is that, compared to other Shaftesburys hotels I have stayed in, the breakfast in this hotel is disappointing. Coffee and juice from machines - in other hotels they are freshly made. And for £15, it is not cheap. My advice: go and pop around the corner to one of the many cafes nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Patricia R, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay.

I am glad that your experience overall was a positive one .Your comments have been re-laid to our team to ensure we are constantly providing best services to our guests.

I'm really sorry you didnt enjoy our breakfast , on your next stay please contact me so we will provide you with other options from our new menu.

Kind Regards

dutymanager.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The location of the hotel is really convenient, close to the parks, bus stops and tube stations.

Staff are nice and welcoming. There is fruit at the reception desk and free wifi.

The beds are nice with several pillows and new matresses

The rooms are tiny, though, which makes it quite claustrophobic, even for two people with several pieces of luggage. You can even hear the thoughts, as well as the steps, of the customers in the room on top of yours.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Patricia R, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Booked via Lastminute.com as a 'Top Secret' hotel, this was a disaster from start to finish. Lastminute have come up with some terrific Top Secret hotels - Hyatt Regency, Marylebone, etc. This seemed a good prospect on the face of it: 4 star, an executive room reduced from £699 to about £140. Booked via LM (though they also made serious errors in failing to note my email address properly and not sending the acknowledgement of the booking - but that's another story) I then looked at the hotel website. Alarm bells rang - a shambles of a website. I rang the hotel to find out exactly where they were. A receptioniste with little familiarity with the English language put me through to central reservations (so she said) but they didn't answer the phone. More alarm bells. Having turned up at the hotel I was confronted with one shy person and one overbearing and rude person. The check in eventually completed, I went to find my executive room via a tiny - and the only - lift into a narrow, tatty and overheated corridor. The room turned out to be a little bigger than a telephone booth. You needed to move sideways between the bed and the TV at the foot of the bed to get to the window. And the competition to find the world's hardest pillow has been won by this hotel. Tried to iron a shirt and the ironing board collapsed flat on the floor with the iron (attached to the ironing board - so no one can steal it, I guess - its that sort of hotel). The request for a new board and iron was met with disinterest and no apology. When it did eventually turn up it had no iron attached. Failing to detach the iron from the original board, the hotel staff member suggest he would hold the board which had the iron attached while I ironed my shirt on the new board!! Unbelievable. Having refused that he went off and found the right combination - an ironing board that stood up all by itself and an iron that was still attached. Amazingly though, the tiny bathroom was really well done, immaculately clean and completely out of keeping with the rest of the hotel. The rude staff had been replaced with a disinterested young man the next morning and I didn't even bother to check out. I just left.They had my money, no more to be said. So, picking my way past the Polish and Bulgarian workmen who stay there, I took my leave. If that's a 4-star hotel then its on a 30-star scale. Truly dreadful. It only has a score of one because I cannot give it a zero under the Trip Adviser ratings. And one other thing - do not walk around this area after dark if you want to feel safe., The area feels sleazy and threatening. In fact, avoid this hotel and this part of London like the plague. Four star hotel? Not even close.

4  Thank Anthony J
Patricia R, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Hyde Park International , We appreciate your comments and we promise that we will try our very best to serve you in th best way possible in order to ensure that we can provide you with one of the most wonderful stays you ever had.

May i kindly request you to please email me on dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com regarding the details of your booking so that we can investigate further in detail.

Thank you very much for your patience & support.

With regards

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here at the end of may 2013, the location is fantastic and the price was very good, it is beside 2 tube stations bayswater and queensway and there is at least 4 buses that stop close to the hotel that take you into the city. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. On our arrival we were greeted by polite and friendly staff. We had a small problem with the bathroom in our room and within ten minutes we were moved to another room and given some gifts as compensation, we found this very generous as most hotels wouldn't really care. The rooms were a bit on the small side but extremely clean and comfortable. I am very picky when it comes to hotels and I would definately stay here again and recommend it to friends travelling to london.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great location, very good value for money, although you need to draw the boundaries upfront: we booked twin bed room and got a double bed room. After having long arguments the hotel staff agreed to refund the extra charges for the twin room.

The hotel is situated few minutes walking from "Queensway" tube station and has supermarket right across the street. The neighborhood is very quiet and safe to walk at late night.

Breakfast is reach (British) + fruits, auto machine coffee maker, sirials, yogurts and cakes etc.

Room Tip: Don't let the staff ruin your experience, come with a copy of your reservation and let them know...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shushit
Patricia R, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely and profusely apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dutymanager.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com ,for your next booking to make sure we will achieve all your expectations.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The location is fantastic and so is the price. I could not find this good of a price anywhere else with such a good location. But WOW the room vas small. Lucky that me and my girlfriend are people that just use the hotel for sleep. As if we had, had to stay in there for a whole day, we would probably have killed eachother by accidentally crushing the other one on the way to the toilet.

Also, some minor things were broken in the room and the WiFi sucked.

If you are an active person or an active young couple that wants to enjoy the city and not the hotel, then I'd recommend this. If you are elderly or with children stay away. It is just too small in every aspect. A proper rating would have been 3 stars and not the 4.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Patricia R, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & we look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International.

Thank you very much.