“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #322 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Nairobi, Kenya
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I love staying here...for me its the best place in town..the staff is polite and very caring. The place is very central and clean and very efficiently managed by the Manager - Patricia, who makes sure that you are well looked after and all your needs are met. The wonderful lady - Mirianna in the restaurant always greets you with her warm and welcoming smile for a yummy breakfast :-)) All other staff members are very polite and helpful....I will definitely be coming back soon!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your wonderful feedback.

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team , and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Patricia Rodrigues

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is overall a very good option if you are going to London for some days. I just stayed there for four days and will use this hotel again. The location is in Bayswater who is an excellent part of London. Takes you just 5 minutes to walk to one of two tube station(Queensway, Central line and Bayswater, circle and district line).

The standard is very nice and they have good service. It was very clean and you could tell that the hotel was brand new.

The rooms are of course small as all hotels in London and the bed is a bit short.

So if you are going to London and want to live central, in a nice area, want much for you money and are not higher than an average person this a very good alternative.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anorwegiantravler
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for staying at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International.

Our wish is to make your stay memorable in every way. Your comments provide us with the information we need to maintain our high level of service ,and will be shared among our staff.

Looking forward to serve you once again in a near future, feel more than free to contact me prior to your next visit .

Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love the Bayswater area of London for its diversity and vibrancy. This hotel is located right in the heart of the area with easy access to two tube stops (Queensway and Bayswater), multiple bus routes along Bayswater Road, Kensington Gardens just across Bayswater Road, and Hyde Park in one direction and Notting Hill Gate and Portobello Road shopping in the other. I booked a single room and was very pleased with it. I've stayed in various compact London hotel rooms and this one was by far the most attractively refurbished and decorated. The ensuite bathroom was newly refurbished as well with modern fixtures and lighting. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window that overlooks the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rymerglass
Thank you for staying at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I chose this hotel on price and location even though there were some horror stories on trip advisor about people being asked to move to sister hotels at check in. I emailed in advance to ensure I would be staying in this hotel as it was important to be as a solo traveller to know where I am going. The hotel is 15 mins walk from Paddington Station and two mins walk to two tube stations and 3 mins to Hyde Park.

I was told I was upgraded to a Club Room when I checked in, which was great as it was on the top floor and very quiet. It was still a small room and the bathroom was teeny tiny but the room was ver comfortable. I didn't have breakfast as there's lots of choice on the doorstep but I did notic there was no cold drinks machine or ice machine in the hotel, which would have been useful as it was warm when I was there. Great location for the price and very, very clean so if you just want somewhere to sleep this is a good choice, offering good value but it's definitely not a four star hotel based on other hotels I stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, lovely and quiet. Also email in advance to ensure you are staying in thi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank annemccoy
Dear Guest thank you so much for your feedback.

For us is very important to know how our guest's feel,so we can improve our services .
Our entire team is working very hard to achieve higher percentage of guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team & your feedback will act as a benchmark for us to maintain at all times.

Almada, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Location was great, near to Portobelo Market and Hyde Park! Taking a walk on the neighborhood was so nice! The hotel are very cosy and clean! The people are nice and the service good. The rooms are very nice, very confort and cosy. The breakfast was good, too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest thank you so much for your positive feedback.

For us is very important to know how our guest's feel, as our entire team is working very hard to achieve higher percentage of guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team & your motivating & encouraging feedback will act as a benchmark for us to maintain at all times.

Once again, thank you very much for your time & we look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

At any future visit to our hotel feel more than welcome to contact me on the below email address,so I can arrange your stay.

With Regards
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

My friends booked two rooms, paying in full, through hotel.com. One room for them and one for myself. Unfortunately they had to cancel the reservations as my friend had a medical emergency and was told by doctors in France to go home a.s.a.p.. They gave slightly less than 24 hours notice to cancel their rooms, but could not get any of their money back due to the hotel's "cancellation" policy. I could see keeping 1 night but not all 3 nights. Ironically, as I was headed up on the last night, a group of people were turned away because of some sort of problem, but the desk clerk was in a panic because there was no where to send them. If they were full, why keep my friend's money?

As I was unable to return to Canada with my friends, I went on to the hotel alone. The wi-fi worked for about 2 minutes when I arrived and then died. I will give the hotel credit for having an I.T. specialist come right away and hook me up with their internet. That was about the only bright spot. The room was small. I had to put the tea service under the bed so I would have room for my laptop. What did I find under the bed? Garbage! It was just the wrapping from either shoes or a purse but not cool. Then the grout in the shower looked like poop. I didn't complain but I would never go back. The staff was friendly but the cleaners were banging away far too early in the morning. I get that they have to prep empty rooms, but they were so loud. You can hear people's conversations from the halls and door banging. The soundproofing in the Paris hotel was so much better and it was ranked as a 3 star.

The safe was a bit of a joke. I was afraid to use it because the batteries were taped into the machine and I couldn't find instructions anywhere. I am sure I could have asked staff but I couldn't be bothered. The evacuation in case of fire instructions had the wrong room number on it, and the fire door to the steps was kept propped open by a cleaning rag the last full day I stayed there.

The only plus was the location. A taxi stand and the tube were very close. Since I didn't book the rooms, I do not know if the rate I had was good for the area, but in Canada I have paid the same price for more than 3 nights and had cleaner, quieter and bigger rooms. I didn't try the restaurant. I looked at the menu and it seemed way too expensive. One block over you could get any sort of food you wanted at half their prices.

I wouldn't ever come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dawn B
Thank you for the review and for the time and effort taken to write the review.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that the service has caused you. Please be advised we have taken the feedback seriously and are working out with the Housekeeping department manager of the hotel to tackle the issue.

Could you please be kind enough to contact me on the below mentioned email address so we could get back to you personally.

We at The Shaftesbury Hyde Park International strive to make sure each and every guest experiences luxury and a wonderful stay.

For any further reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly at
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Booked a "deluxe Double Room" but were allocated the smallest room we have ever stayed in.
The bed was NOT a double bed (there was not even enough room for the pillows). It was jammed up against the window (view of brick walls). This left only enough room for us to get past each other by standing sideways (we are not large people).
There was no space or floor room to even set down our small weekend bags.
The bathroom was tiny(though nicely decorated) and the shower was so small that when I dropped the shampoo bottle I had to switch off the shower and open the door to be able to bend down to pick it up.There was no area to put toiletries.Shower was good quality and powerful though.
If I had been given this room as a single room it would still have been too small and claustrophobic.
Reception area looked very nice and bright but lacked any atmosphere. No interaction from staff.
Breakfast was served in a lower dining room where the curtains were kept closed (again brick walls hidden by opaque window....no natural light anywhere in hotel other than reception area) Food choices for breakfast were more than satisfactory and warm food appeared fresh and topped up.
It's such a pity that guest comfort and space takes second place to how many rooms can be squeezed into a building. Would not return or recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank holidaytrish
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.
We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve in future.

Gourav Gupta