“Great value!”

Ranked #299 of 1,063 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Great value!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My room here was tiny--not much larger than the double bed--but tastefully designed, with accent lighting, flat panel tv, and AC; the wireless was free and worked well; the bath was very modern and clean, with shower. While there was some noise from other rooms in the morning, overall the hotel is very quiet, on a quiet street, but very close to two tube stations and many bus routes. Within a very short walk are many, many restaurants (mostly ethnic and quite affordable), coffee places, and food markets. Hyde Park at the end of the block; Portobello Road a short distance. The staff were pleasant and helpful. I'd definitely return. A great value for the price!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, March 22, 2013

Many thanks for sharing your very kind feedback.

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Mandar Dhage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

A comfortable stay, staff were genuinely helpful.

However. Wireless network went on and off throughout my two night stay. There was a wired point which was also down. The IT guy came and fixed the wired point. Why oh why do so many hotels have a substandard Internet link??? In a highly connected world you would think that this would just be like water and heating!!!

The room was 'OK' it was a club room which was apparently the biggest room they have, I wonder what size a normal room is...

There were leakage marks on the roof and the wall paper was coming off, so some repair work needed.

Despite the negatives (& wifi or lack thereof really does wind me up especially when on a business trip!), the staff were excellent an the location is superb!

• Stayed March 2013
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, May 15, 2013

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

What a change from many London hotels. Reception was charming, room was spotlessly clean, cosy and good quality. I wanted to take my bathroom home with me! Very close to Tube but in a quiet up-market little area.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Club rooms are gorgeous
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was attracted by internet adds and their site. Looks like a huge, old, posh hotel with seventy year old butlers, shoe shiners and cour size rooms.

Well, it's not. The property is a very nicely renovated townhouse . The design and fixtures are nice, the room small (but hell, this is London) and the staff consists of very friendly and polite people of various nationalities who are not as efficient as you might hope (e.g they forgot my request for a wake up call) .

The breakfast is great, the area ideal for business and pleasure and the prices reasonable (hell, it is still London). I will stay there next time too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is the second hotel in this chain that I have stayed in, it's a pity that they don't have commonality in their services other than very small rooms .
This place was convenient for my business plans and at £79 it was good value.
The decor is ok, staff ok , rooms minute , bar rubbish , breakfast is ok , parking is free after 6.30 on the street if you are lucky enough to find a slot! .
Tried to stay a second night,they had rooms but at £300, no way!
So if you don't need a big room and don't want to pay Notting Hill prices , get it on a £79 night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bertie500
london
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Booked this hotel based off other T/A reviews. Firstly, it is small, dingy and has no bar facilities. Secondly, the noise from the faulty air conditioning unit that my room looked directly onto (Room 109) was so loud (and I mean the sound was as loud as a pneumatic drill) that any form of thought never mind sleep was impossible, Despite the fact that the noise could be heard in the corridor never mind the bed that was a mere 6 foot away, and the fact that I raised this issue on 3 seperate locations throughout the evening, no staff came to assist. Mainly because the majority seemed simply not to care. Left after 3 hours in total disgust. Avoid this hotel at all costs. You would get more sleep camping on the street outside and more satisfaction giving your cash away to local crack addict.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank robertpalliser
Thank you for the review and for the time and effort taken to write the review.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that the service has caused you. Please be advised we have taken the feedback seriously and are working out with the Maintenance managers of the hotel to tackle the issue.

Could you please be kind enough to contact me on the below mentioned email address so we could get back to you personally.

We at The Shaftesbury Hyde Park International strive to make sure each and every guest experiences luxury and a wonderful stay.

For any further reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com

With Regards
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Booked for two nights at the Hyde Park and knew that the rooms would be small. What we didn't realise was that the bed would be even smaller. Two adults in a 4' Queen bed? We thought we were in Gullivers Kingdom. First thing next day we asked at Reception if they had a room with a bigger bed and without any hesitation we were upgraded to a club room, at no extra cost, with a wider bed.

Other than that everything was great. The rooms are nicely furnished and the included Breakfast is very good. All the staff are friendly and helpful.

So judging the Hotel not on the problem, but on how they reacted to it I have to say that I would have no hesitation in staying here again. The price, including breakfast, at under £200 for 2 nights is exceptional value for a London Hotel and so what if the rooms are small, how long are you in them. Just try and avoid the 4' beds if you are a couple.

Another nice touch was that at check-out we saw the Manager and mentioned our experience and he promptly said that if we were to stay again to contact him before arrival and he would make sure that we got a good room.

Room Tip: This is an Edwardian building so all the rooms are different sizes. Just try and avoid those with j...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, April 14, 2013