“Excellent weekend break”

Ranked #288 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent weekend break”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Just had an excellent weekend break at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International. We had a Club Room and couldn't fault it. The manager and staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room was very busy but the lady running it found us a table quickly and she was very well organised. Will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Graham P
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
i am very delighted that our hotel is your favorite in London and my team and I are determined to keep it this way.

I can assure you that your comments will not only motivate the team but also encourage them to maintain and improve on the service you have come to expect.

Mandar Dhage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night after needing a room at short notice. We paid £85 for a double room. Upon arrival we found the hotel to be well located from the tube station. Literally almost a stones throw away. The area surrounding is nice and has a vibrant energy (although next door is a budget hostel where a late night drinking session was underway). The hotel reception that doubles as the bar is small and a bit sparcely furnished but tidy none the less. The reception was courteous although not extremely welcoming. The rooms are very small however they seem to make the most of the space and the decor is contemporary and does not feel cheap. The shower is very nice as is the whole bathroom area. Size aside the hotel is not the worst, however I would not recommend more than a nights stay as it begins to feel cramped. It is not a 4* standard more of an entry level three. I would stay again however not for the price I paid, perhaps for £50-70 range it would be acceptable, but it did the job.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for your recent visit to London. We appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Hyde Park International was able to meet your some expectations.

With regards to bigger room I request you to please email mail me once you do the booking so that I can arrange nice & bigger room for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International.

With Regards
Chesham, UK
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I needed a hotel in the Bayswater area for one night and selected this hotel on price. £78 for a double room with full English breakfast for two.
Excellent value for the money.
The room was small but very well equipped and spotlessly clean. Staff were efficient without being intrusive and the breakfast was excellent.
Would I go back. Yes, but I'd ask for a larger room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for your recent visit to London. We really appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury HydePark International.

Warm Regards
Mandar Dhage
Duty Manager
Worcester UK
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed one night at this hotel last weekend (Sept 2012) on a weekend trip to London with friends. We choose it for it's proximity to Kensington Gardens so we could go running in the morning and that was great. The road is really quiet and even on a Saturday night with the window open we were undisturbed. Rooms was really nice, a good size and clean. Only issue we had was when we arrived there was a long queue of people trying to check in - apparenlty their computer system had been playing up for days and they were having a nightmare. A lot of people were being taxied to another hotel due (I assume) to double booking but we were spared this fate.
Breakfast at this hotel is £11+ but if you walk 2 minutes onto the Queensway (by Bayswater Tube station) you will find the "Art Cafe" that does a splendid full English Breakfast (Veggie version as well!) for £6 - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top (4th) floor for a really quiet night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing The Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for your recent visit to London. We appreciate your comments regarding location.

With regards to poor administrationonce again sincerely apologised I request you to please email mail me once you do the booking so that I can arrange nice & bigger room for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International.

With Regards
Somerset uk
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked 1 nights stay to go to the Paralympic games.The location is fantastic only 200m from the Bays water tube station.And close to Kensington gardens and Paddington Station which can be walked in 12 minutes
Check in was quick and efficient. The room was well equipped, but on the small size .I had booked a double deluxe room. The room was compact ,but very clean.The bathroom was also compact but had everything you needed and the cleanliness and standard of finish was second to none . The walk in shower had 2 shower heads and a descent pressure. Plenty of towels were provided along with toothbrushes and shaving kits .
The breakfat room served a good selection of breakfast items in clean surroundings and the waitress was only too happy to help with your selections and clear the table of used plates.
The hotel staff in general all made you feel very welcome and we polite and very helpful.
I would defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: The club rooms appeared to be larger. And had the forward facing views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldExplorer12

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just returned from 4 nights in this hotel at the end of August, and found it to be clean, comfortable and very well located. Bayswater tube stop is a 2 minute walk, along with a selection of shops and restaurants, and is only around 4 stops into the centre. Be sure to visit Portobello Road nearby, with its delightful array of market stalls and cafes. The hotel itself was very smartly presented, but yes the rooms were very small. This didn't really present itself as a problem to this couple, but would probably guess the bed wasn't a full size double. However it was nicely decorated, and the bathroom was modern and clean. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emily P

Canewdon
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here on Wedensday 29th of August and on returning home discovered that shortly after checking in a number of payments had been made to buy pay as you go credit using my bank card.

Now It does not take Sherlock Holmes to work out that a card that has only be used at this premises and is otherwise unused for other transaction is unlikely to start buying credit on it's own, a far more plausible option is that they have one or more untrustworthy staff who stole my details on check in. Thankfully my bank are now investigating and the police will be informed.

A quick google revelas that I am not the first person this has happened to at this chain of hotels. To quote another user from the Shaftesbury hyde park on the 20th of August " I stayed at the hotel in August 2012. When I returned home from my stay, my credit card company contacted me regarding suspicious use in London of my credit card. I booked the hotel on the internet in advance and the payment was made upon arrival. The payment of the hotel was the only place that I used my credit card during the trip. My advice: Keep clear of the hotel and its sister hotels as I have read reviews of similar cases at the other hotels."

I will admit that the hotel it's self was nice enough and appeared good value for money, with the exception of the English breakfast Which was an embarrassment and would put any visitor to our country off ever trying it again.

In conclusion nice enough Hotel which appears to be from a chain staffed by criminals.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MJR1987
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to profusely apologies to you on behalf of The Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. I completely understand your frustration on this occasion and I admit that what you experienced is certainly not the standard of service that we look to provide to our guests.

Although we cannot compensate you for all the stress that you went through, and in order to restore your faith in us, i would like to investigate this matter on urgent priorities.

Unfortunately I could not find your detail in my system, Can you please contact me as soon as possible on my email address? we never ever had this kind of problem before in our esteem organisation, however restore your faith in us i will make sure will do investigation with our special audit team and get back to you with positive result.

Thanks & Regards,