“Avoid, unless you like to feel intimidated”

Excelsior Hotel London
Ranked #381 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I walked into this hotel, went to my room, and left again in 5 minutes flat. I have never felt so threatened and scared by my surroundings...ever.

Not the best as the door is practically made of cardboard and the lock may aswell not be on the door as it is blatently breakable. There is a sign saying the hotel 'accepts no responsibility for theft' - I wonder why!

Don't be fooled by the pretty pictures - I was. It is not a pleasant place to be unless you like to feel intimidated by your surroundings. I really don't know why this has a 3 star rating - someone was having a laugh there.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo

Reviewed June 4, 2007

What a breath of fresh air!! A central London hotel which is clean, friendly, central AND cheap.

Staff were genuinely friendly and helpful - rare these days!!

The Hotel is perfectly located in Central London, with the West End just a short hop away, which was perfect for us.

We booked a family room and were bowled over by the value. The place is extremely clean and modern, with comfortable beds, flat screen tv, wifi internet access, and all for a price which, in London, would normally not provide anything even close to this standard!

I would recommend this hotel to absolutely anyone, and we are looking forward to our next stay!

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank bissoe
Reviewed May 31, 2007

This hotel was excellently located in Kings Cross , about a two minute walk from the station. Near enough to be convenient and hassle free to get to.On arriving at the hotel we knew we had to go next door to check in ( No 39) so that was fine . We told the receptionist we were really tired and could we have our rooms, in total 6 doubles asap, even though it was 11.30 am ! She came back in 2 minutes and said it was no problem, which we were really happy with, so we went to our rooms.The rooms we got were all excellent !!!! I was so happy about this as i was responsible for booking the trip for my family : My Parents , Grandparents,and nieces and nephews. The rooms were all in excellent condition , everything worked ( WOW) and it was really clean from the en suite showers to the floors. I have stayed in some ok places but this was really great and good value for money . London is soooo expensive so we were more than happy to pay the rate .Breakfast was fine and healthy (most important to me was that they gave my niece milkshake and got me porridge !!!) . All in all an excellent choice for a hotel . I do reccomend this place . The staff are really nice !!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank patlikestravelin
Reviewed April 28, 2007

Arrived to find the Excelsior (two blocks from Kings Cross metro station) under repair and were sent to a nearby property under same ownership. Room for three persons was smallest hotel room I have EVER stayed in. There are no phones in room, no night desk, no chairs, bathroom had no counter surface area, small color TV had total of 4 stations and continental breakfast consisted of toast and corn flakes. All of which must be paid for in full at time of check in. Lodger beware because if this a three star hotel (per their ads), you might want to consider moving up.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2007

I stayed at this hotel, all i can say is never again, booked to stay in the excelsior as shown on thier web site, ended up staying in another hotel owned by the same company,
tiny room with low ceiling, dirty carpet, tiny shower, and dirty as well, all there ever seem to be for staff was a night porter who was difficult, rude, and didnt seem to care for the customer.
you are given one towel, which is of poor quality and quite small in size.
i asked for a fresh one, finaly manged to obtain one 2 hours after i had asked for one, asked if i could have two, was refused because i was staying in a single room.
didnt feel safe leaving personal property in the room as the lock on the door was sub standard. when i made a complaint with regards to being given a different hotel to the one i had booked and seen on the internet, my response was a case of get what your given.
the bedding was clean, but the bed was very uncomftable.
if you want a cheap hotel for the night, my advice is stay away.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 10, 2007

We stayed in a quin room (15) at the Excelsior on a Friday night. We simply needed somewher to stay in London that would take all of us, as we were seeing a show and having dinner in the city. The Excelsior fitted the bill perfectly. It was clean, £150 for the night (between 5!) and in possibly the most convenient location in the world - right opposite Kings X. Staff were very pleasant. Having to check in 2 doors down was no problem - the walk really was very short. Breakfast is across the street, a little less convenient, and is fine just to fill up (on toast, or cereal) before heading back. Minor criticisms - the 5 polystyrene cups on the welcome tray were bizarre - just buy some cups! Also, no hand or hair towels, just the one for all purposes. Finally, you might need to sit sideways in the toilet if you're over five foot. However, this does not detract from what is a value for money, pleasant little place for a night or two.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank RPCandCJD
Reviewed February 5, 2007

I have been their 2 times. I booked also with laterooms.com.
I have seen 3 different rooms and they all looked the same renovated style.
Last time we had a four bedroom one madress was really old the other one was fine. One light on the floor was damaged. The washbasin was to tiny to brush my teath. I had to use the bathtube.
All in all not as clean then the last time in Sept. 2005.
The price was really cheap less then a youthhostel.
I would recommend this hotel If you do not want pay to much and just need a passably clean room close to the underground. Breakfast is just a toast with jam and a cup of coffee or tea. Just sleep in and miss breakfast (:

Stayed: December 2006