“A museum with a difference”
Review of Hunterian Museum - CLOSED

Hunterian Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Decided to visit with my 15 year old daughter as I hade the chance to visit 40 years ago when studying A level biology at school. An interesting museum but not for squeamish people as has many preserved specimens. But very interesting and can see many different specimens from an age of medical science.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I didn't expect to love the Hunterian as much as I did. I had heard of it, and thought it might be worth a look. I was really amazed at how fascinating and strangely *beautiful* I found it. I'm quite squeamish, and I no problems at all with anything here, so don't let the idea of body parts put you off. There's nothing gross or in-your-face. It's a testament to the drive of doctors to understand biology better, and to learn how better to heal people. My favourite bit of the display was the 18th Century dissection boards as you enter the museum - fascinating, and gorgeous! I wish they sold small replicas in the gift shop, I'd have bought them. I'm definitely going back, next time I'm in London.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

On a whim took the kids to this wonderful weird place. Based in the royal college of surgeons it's a treasure trove of, basically, weird stuff in jars. Can get a bit gory but there were loads of fascinated kids around when we went, pointing out the weird and wonderful world of surgical freakdom that was much of 18 and 19 century science. it won't take long and there's not a huge amount to see but it's different and very interesting and free of charge. Not open all week so do check. And save time for the shop too - skeletal oven gloves anyone?

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Based in the Royal College of Surgeons building in Lincoln Inn Fields this is a medical gem of interesting cases etc both for those with a medical background and the lay public. They do small informal presentations most days by retired surgeons which are fascinating

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Very interesting. Went along with my daughter who is studying GCSE History which encompasses the history of medicine - not a subject I've thought much about in the past but I found it absolutely fascinating looking at the exhibits in this vast collection. My daughter found lots of useful information and I'd recommend this to anyone who's child is studying this subject as it becomes more real to the student if they can actually see some of the objects they've read about.
There are tours around the exhibit with a guide which is very interesting. There are cloakrooms and lockers for your coats and bags - all free of charge -wonderful