“Unique history in a modern setting”
Review of Hunterian Museum - CLOSED

Hunterian Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I try only to review attractions that offer something that you can't get anywhere else, and this certainly fits that criteria. Before visiting I had the impression that this would be dusty Victorian rooms of bizarre body parts. The first part was certainly wrong. It is modern, well lit, beautifully displayed collection of bizarre body parts. Every body part from a wide range of species. We had a very interesting free tour with the curator (Wed lunchtimes). She nicely set the context for the collection from grave robbing to developments in surgical techniques. After an hour I was tired as there was so much to look at, but I could easily go back several more times. If you're interested in what's inside the body, how it works and how it sometimes goes wrong, you'll be fascinated.

1  Thank mcreader

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Took my family to Huntarian in half term, purely because we've been to all the large museums in London and know how busy they get. First of all the location is lovely. We got off at Holborn and meandered through the back streets (past a nice old traditional pub that we popped into on the way back to tube!). I've since discovered the Sir John Soames Museum was opposite, which would've been interesting to see. The Huntarian Museum itself was fascinating. My 6 year old loved it and especially the shop. My 13 year old, who is a bit squeamish, not so much. I went to a similar museum in St Petersburg and had high hopes. The Huntarian is very different, it's a lot more sanitised for a start. Nevertheless the exhibit upstairs has a very thought provoking display on war surgery. Definitely recommend for an hour's visit.

1  Thank SLEWIS1970
Reviewed March 7, 2013

If your interested in science and the anatomy of the natural world, this is the place for you. There are so many weird and wonderful objects on display that will take your breath away.
If possible, attend when the tour guide is available for some interesting history. I don't think I've ever visited a museum like this before! If your other half isn't into this then go alone, it's worth it!

1  Thank Buddhistcamel
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a small museum based in the Royal College of Surgeons and contains a collection of pickled body parts. Only go if you are strong of stomach.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Beautifully presented museum of all things medical. If you are interested in exploring the innermost recesses of the body then this will be for you. Shelf upon shelf of 'bits' in jars and some very interesting displays of medical implements. Made me glad to be healthy!