“Nice Chinese kitchen”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Wanting some Chinese food we entered this restaurant. The staff was very friendly, helpful and efficient. We tried some Chinese dishes and they were all very tasty. When we left the restaurant, it was full and many of the guests were Chinese, which of course is a good sign in this case.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Last Weekend Saturday evening my wife and I spent our day in London doing shopping and ended up in Queensway after the theatres. My wife and I decided to have a nice meal nearby and as we were walking up and down the Queensway high street, discussing our options for dinner. We were drawn by the price and recommendations of one, which stood amongst the crowd, and we decided to give Toa’s kitchen a try.

We were greeted and seated by warming and friendly staffs, and we straight away ordered a bottle of house red and a portion of baby squid and spring rolls as starters. The portions were a little too much for just the two of us, but tasty enough to roll our apatite. For main, we ordered sweet and sour chicken, spicy beef, seasonal vegetables, plain rice, and in addition we asked for a good recommendation from the waiter, and he suggested the mix roast pork which was amazing soft, mouth-watering and tender!! For me it was by far the best I had ever had and it was the home running dish.

Another thing which was a thumbs up for me was the modern style with touch of oriental decoration creating a relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere. Being at the heart of west-end, located on a busy high street and to have such a peaceful, unhurried undisrupted evening was definitely added bonus for us, we ended up siting for a good 2 hours before we decided to leave and the bill surprising came just over 40, and we were happy to leaving a big tip.

I do not normally spend my time writing restaurant review, but this has really won me over. “Toa Kitchen’s has been given numerous recommendations and seemingly positive reviews over the web and from my dining experience, it has come to my conclusion that mine is no different, this is a restaurant that I highly recommend and would definitely visit again!!

Best
- Newly refurbished, warming and enthusiastic staffs, authentic dishes,
- Modest and reasonable Prices.
Con
- Toilets are inconvenience being in the second floor

1  Thank Frankie W
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Visited this restaurant this week during a trip to London. The food is really good and service excellent.
After a dreadful meal at the so called Steak House across the road the previous night this meal was a delight. We all had great tasting food from an extensive menu at a realistic cost.
I would highly l recommend it.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

During CNY this year, I travelled with my family to London. As a Chinese, of course do want to have Chinese food to celebrate 1st day of CNY. Occasionally I round Toa Kitchen. People there are very friendly even we didn't make reservation (indeed Toa Kitchen was full house that day), they arranged a table for us.

At first, we didn't have any expectation for the food. But...wow...those dishes not even look good, taste really fantastic too! Even better than local restaurants in Hong Kong. We particularly recommend braised beef, "Ching Ping Chicken" and roasted pig. These are must try items!

Thanks April prepare Chinese soup for us!

Further, decoration there is nice, comtemporary but still you could find Chinese style inside. Clean and tidy. Price is reasonable.

We will definately visit Toa Kitchen again!

2  Thank Suen_Family
Reviewed January 17, 2014

One of my favorite restaurants for years was shut when I went for a meal towards the latter part of last year. It had a notice "closed for refurbishment" on the front window. Funny how many establishments have this notice posted but never reopen.However, last week it finally resumed business. Not only refurbished but renamed. The Magic Wok is no more! Toa Kitchen now proudly sits on this Queensway site in time to gallop into the Chinese New Year of the Horse at the end of this month.
There were a couple of familiar faces by way of staffing but the owners were apparently new as was the Chef. I was reassured that their roasted meats were from the the same source as before. This is important as the speciality and reason I frequented this place before was because it had about the best roast duck and roast/crispy pork this side of London. I must say it tasted very much the same as before and the pricing seems to be on hold. Take advantage of this fact and go soon as I can imagine that prices will like a phoenix, arise.

The facelift is extensive and there is great improvement in the décor and loos. The ceiling is all new and has rid itself of the water stains that dominated the room in the past. The cold kitchen has been moved from the front window to the central bar area communicating via a dumb waiter to the main kitchen below. A contemporary type chandelier features in the the main dining area and adjoining walls have lit niches displaying stylish oriental artifacts. Cheesy piped elevator/hotel lobby music permeates the surroundings to ensure that customers will not linger on.

Service tries and is pleasant enough but consistent good food and fair prices will be what makes this restaurant. The obligatory Chinese menu with hundreds of dishes will confuse but will be less daunting if you seek advice from the helpful staff. One who will be missed is "Albert" who managed and waited with great charisma and sang as he went about his duties. He has sadly retired.(Perhaps to the local bookie).

The food is mostly competent: steamed scallops, a great favourite, were fresh, plump and yum; vegetables cooked as they should be and the roast meats as faultless as ever. There is always hiccups in a new kitchen but on the same token, this is when a place tries hardest. Some dishes could be a touch less greasy but otherwise all is looking good!
Go now whilst their new carpet is all clean and fluffy and before it gets trampled on, flattened and sticky!

2  Thank evereadyeddy